By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do PS3 3rd party exclusives sell more than Wii 3rd party exclusives? - A Comparison

I'd say it's because Sony doesn't know how to make games that appeal to people's tastes going by your criteria. Of course you are using a silly definition of exclusivity anyway. 

Not appearing on competing platform != exclusive

If you were to compare games made by third parties only on one platform it'd be Wii / DS / PS2 / PC and then everything else miles behind.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
pezus said:

When I saw this excellent thread yesterday, I thought: Why must we always limit ourselves to PS3 vs. 360? Why do we not include Wii? So, I made this thread to hopefully make it easier for you to compare and contrast the highest selling 3rd party exclusives on the PS3 vs. the Wii. Do the results surprise you?

PS3 3rd Party Exclusives: Wii 3rd Party Exclusives:
Modern Warfare 2 - 10.01m Just Dance 2 - 9.26m
GTA IV - 9.28m Just Dance - 6.79
Battlefield 3 - 5.76m Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 4.28m
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 5.67m Carnival Games - 3.89m
Assassin's Creed II - 5.03m EA Sports Active - 3.81m
Red Dead Redemption - 4.90m Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games 2012 - 3.11m
Final Fantasy XIII - 4.86m Cooking Mama: Cook Off - 2.81m
Resident Evil 5 - 4.74m Disney Epic Mickey - 2.66
Assassin's Creed - 4.42m Sonic and the Secret Rings - 2.55m
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 4.09m Deca Sports - 2.44m

Interesting facts:

• The top 10 selling 3rd party exclusives sold 58.76m on PS3 and 41.6m on Wii. That's a difference of 17.16m
  • PS3 top 10 has 8 franchises. Wii has 8 (or 7 if you count Mario & Sonic with Sonic)
  • PS3's 9th highest selling 3rd party exclusive sold more than WIi's 3rd highest selling
  • Assassin's Creed is a huge presence on the PS3 list
  • 7/10 games on the Wii list are Dance/Sports/Fitness games.
  • 6/10 games on the PS3 list include shooting in their gameplay in a major way
  • Sonic is still popular!
*All data taken from VGChartz

**BY EXCLUSIVE I MEAN GAMES

THAT ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON

THE OPPOSING CONSOLE

Those aren't exclusive titles on the PS3 list. Exclusives are games that only appear on one platform. Those are games made and marketed with multi-console budgets. True PS3 3rd party exclusives would not stand up to the Wii's lineup.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

None of those PS3 games are exclusive, but anyway, now substract developement costs from both lists for net profit and the margin will be much closer

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

im going on record and saying all these threads are kind ridiculous.

pezus said:
PS3 3rd Party Exclusives: Wii 3rd Party Exclusives:
Modern Warfare 2 - 10.01m Just Dance 2 - 9.26m
GTA IV - 9.28m Just Dance - 6.79
Battlefield 3 - 5.76m Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 4.28m
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 5.67m Carnival Games - 3.89m
Assassin's Creed II - 5.03m EA Sports Active - 3.81m
Red Dead Redemption - 4.90m Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games 2012 - 3.11m
Final Fantasy XIII - 4.86m Cooking Mama: Cook Off - 2.81m
Resident Evil 5 - 4.74m Disney Epic Mickey - 2.66
Assassin's Creed - 4.42m Sonic and the Secret Rings - 2.55m
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 4.09m Deca Sports - 2.44m

Interesting facts:

The only interesting fact IMO; is I dont have any of those games...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

Um, apart from MSG4, none of those PS3 games are exclusive.

Because the PS3 doesn't have 1st party Nintendo games, or because the PS3 actually had 3rd party support. You choose.

I don't see the problem in this thread, pezus clearly said what 'Exclusives' means in this comparison. And taking account that, it's a valid one.

@pezus : you should add Mario and Sonic (the first game) as it was published by Nintendo only Japan, in NA and Europe was published by Sega and sold a whooping 7.19m excluding Japan of course.

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

pezus said:
DanneSandin said:
Jay520 said:
DanneSandin said:

Facts don't have an agenda no, but they can easily be twisted and appear as such.

How are they twisted? It's just a comparison between the 3rd party games on one console that aren't on another. What's the problem?

had he said 3rd party games ONLY I wouldn't object, but he clearly states exclusive 3rd part titles - but GTA and most of those games aren't exclusive! that's my beef with this topic :P

Did you complain this much in MBP's thread? >_>

No, and I can't be bothered to do it here any longer either :P I'm too sick

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

TheSource said:

I'd say it's because Sony doesn't know how to make games that appeal to people's tastes going by your criteria. Of course you are using a silly definition of exclusivity anyway. 

Not appearing on competing platform != exclusive

If you were to compare games made by third parties only on one platform it'd be Wii / DS / PS2 / PC and then everything else miles behind.

You missed the buildup to this thread.

It's in direct response to this one:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147428&page=1#

Surprisingly, this thread has remained fairly civil and jovial. Most response threads end up in a heated war of words.