By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do X360 exclusives sell more than PS3 exclusives?

I just had a interesting thought. What if the difference isn't the advertising, the volume, or the quality. What if the big difference is in the packaging. Microsoft is prodigious about value adding when it comes to their first party offerings. Hell it almost qualifies as bundling. Maybe the real difference is that Microsoft is selling a game and a half for the same price that Sony charges for a single game.

Look at Halo for example. What is included with Halo that has almost nothing to do with the main game. You have the Theater feature which is just a spruced up developer tool. You have the Forge which is the same. Hell the new game is coming with a movie attached. So which is it am I buying a game, or am I buying a movie. This series isn't the only example.

Look at Fable it isn't just a role playing game. It has a social simulator, and a financial simulator jammed in right along side the role playing game. They have absolutely nothing to do with the main game. They are there for people to tool around with. They aren't really games in themselves. Just a bunch of sandbox elements.

Forza isn't exempt either. Do you really need to take a virtual tour of a vehicle to race cars on a track. So why is it even there at all. Well it is just bonus material to make the game look even bigger.

Crackdown came with a beta invite which let you play half of another game called Halo 3 which lasted for the better part of a month. Plus it came with free downloadable content to boot. Even the Kinect came with a host of bonus shit. In the form of Fun labs. Which were probably some development tools that Microsoft found just lying around the office.

Microsoft isn't just selling consumers on the quality, but on the quantity they are willing to offer up as well. How hard is it to sell people on the best when your also making it into a real bargain. Maybe that is what Sony needs to be doing. They need to be making bundled experiences rather then just making games. The bells and whistles probably do make Microsoft's games just that much more shiny in the eyes of consumers. Maybe Sony should just convert a studio into a bonus content generator for their first party games. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Any thoughts?

Around the Network
Dodece said:
I just had a interesting thought. What if the difference isn't the advertising, the volume, or the quality. What if the big difference is in the packaging. Microsoft is prodigious about value adding when it comes to their first party offerings. Hell it almost qualifies as bundling. Maybe the real difference is that Microsoft is selling a game and a half for the same price that Sony charges for a single game.

Look at Halo for example. What is included with Halo that has almost nothing to do with the main game. You have the Theater feature which is just a spruced up developer tool. You have the Forge which is the same. Hell the new game is coming with a movie attached. So which is it am I buying a game, or am I buying a movie. This series isn't the only example.

Look at Fable it isn't just a role playing game. It has a social simulator, and a financial simulator jammed in right along side the role playing game. They have absolutely nothing to do with the main game. They are there for people to tool around with. They aren't really games in themselves. Just a bunch of sandbox elements.

Forza isn't exempt either. Do you really need to take a virtual tour of a vehicle to race cars on a track. So why is it even there at all. Well it is just bonus material to make the game look even bigger.

Crackdown came with a beta invite which let you play half of another game called Halo 3 which lasted for the better part of a month. Plus it came with free downloadable content to boot. Even the Kinect came with a host of bonus shit. In the form of Fun labs. Which were probably some development tools that Microsoft found just lying around the office.

Microsoft isn't just selling consumers on the quality, but on the quantity they are willing to offer up as well. How hard is it to sell people on the best when your also making it into a real bargain. Maybe that is what Sony needs to be doing. They need to be making bundled experiences rather then just making games. The bells and whistles probably do make Microsoft's games just that much more shiny in the eyes of consumers. Maybe Sony should just convert a studio into a bonus content generator for their first party games. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Any thoughts?

That's definitely a factor as well. The modes in a game like Halo are extremely deep and gives the game insane longevity. And games with longevity are a lot less likely to be sold and re-bought as used. I think that's the reason why a lot of the top selling games on the PS3/360 offers a lot of hours in gameplay (either through multiplayer or single-player)

Ji99saw said:
pokoko said:
Ji99saw said:
pokoko said:
Ji99saw said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
More/better promotion, more mass appeal, a lot of Halo.

You'll find a lot more variety among AAA PS3 exclusives... a lot more niche titles or titles that are mostly promoted through word of mouth or critic scores because Sony has little moneyz, too little to give big marketing budgets to many games..

I'm so tired of people saying this because it is not true I see Sony games advertised way more than I see any other platform games advertised, not to mention UC3 had the biggest marketing campain I have ever seen they even had a deal with Subway one of the biggiest Sandwich foodchains I know. Sony markets games all the time it's the audiance that talks about them to death but never buy them.

Never buys them?  Did you see the table on the first page?  The games on the Sony side sold very well.  It's only when compared against the Halo series, a sales juggernaut, that they seem low.

In that context, this tread really becomes a question of why Halo sells so well.  Or, from another perspective, you could ask why Microsoft has been unable to duplicate Halo sales.  It doesn't really matter, either way Halo is the anomaly.

The "whys" have all pretty much been answered, though.  It's an FPS, the dominant genre in North America, a market dominated by the 360, and a franchise that Microsoft has spent an enormous amount of resources on.  It's also a series that pre-dates the 360, which means it had a pre-existing fanbase before the 360 launched, and it also had Windows versions which served to extend the fanbase.

Was not talking about the games on the list they obviously sold well considering there the Highest selling on the platform. I was talking about Sony exclusives in general they release multiple AAA exclusives every year that people rave about and ultimately never seem to buy like starhawk, sorcery, and twisted metal just to name a few, they seem to blame it on Advertising which is untrue the fanbase just doesn't want to invest in them

All high volume publishers release titles that fail to meet expectations.  What is your point?  Do you think that publishers shouldn't take any chances at all?  As a consumer, I like to see more chances taken, and a larger variety, than see publishers only push a couple of high profilte "blockbusters" a year.  And since you're saying that the majority of Sony published games fail, I think you should give a source for that claim.

I don't even know what you're saying, exactly, to be honest.  That people should buy games that do not interest them because of fanboy loyalty?  No thanks.

You addressed me about Sony exclusives not selling and I gave you an explanation of what I was talking about which is a lot of hype and no follow through foe Sony AAA titles, I don't really care about what you like as a consumer and the rest of your Rant is just nonsensical. I never said majority of Sony published games fail you pulled that out your ass, I was only originaly trying to debunk the myth about lack of advertising for Sony games  because I see them all the time  and that is not the reason they are not selling as well as xbox or Wii.

Dude, not to get caught up in a petty argument, but you said "Sony exclusives in general" followed up by "that people rave about and ultimately never seem to buy".  Now, as I'm sure you know, "in general" means a majority, one large enough to draw a conclusion from.  If you did not mean that, then how is that line supposed to be read?   Taken literally, it says that people hype the majority of Sony exclusives but they never buy them.  Intentional or not, that is what you said, so it's kind of rude for you puff up over it.

Whatever, though.

It seems like a lot of your argument has to do with the amount of hype you see on forums or gaming sites, which is pretty much meaningless.  A few dozen, or even a few hundred people talking on the internet can hardly be considered to represent the consumer base at large.  

X360 sells the bulk of its sales in NA.
PS3 sells the bulk of its sales in Europe and Japan.
The games on the PS3 and X360 are tailored to appeal for their intended markets.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Not more AAA exclusives, which recieve the most marketing and what's relevant to my post. Will edit.

Though I'm not sure about exclusives in general... how'd you find that out?

Wikipedia

Uhm, the 360 list has 20 unreleased games. PS3 list has 5. What's the count if you factor that in (I'm assuming you counted since I don't see a number there)

And loads of "exclusives".

What does that even mean?

"Exclusive"  does not mean the same to all the people.

EDITED : to respond to the OP question , i think US and A likes to " pew pew" a lot , halo and gears are great  games to "pew pew ", they sell like hotcakes there. Microsoft will continue to milk these and the list will always have these games.

Next gen microsoft will create another " dude bros bang bang " franchise to get the gears spot.

Dude.....that was brilliant! I am saving this! So true!

Around the Network

This is because every game mentioned are for mostly the american market, and xbox is the dominant gamer console in NA.
racing games are mostly for EU, and as you can see where PS3 has more dominance it's exclusive racer is higher up then the xbox equivalent.