By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Old Wii remotes still compatible with WiiU games

Catching up on the Game Informer reveals on Mario and Nintendo Land, and a little excerpt in one of the pages caught my attention:

Is this already known? I've assumed the specifications that followed the E3s just mentioned Wiimote due to the backwards compatibility, but WiiU titles can still use the classic wiimote if developers feel it's enough. I thought they were going to try push motionplus with the new console.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I kind of like that Nintendo seems to be pretty much just *assuming* that everyone has motion plus, or will go out and get motion plus. It's way more capable than the original remotes. Other devs probably wouldn't feel comfortable about using a peripheral if Nintendo themselves wasn't really pushing it. Dropping the price of motion plus remotes would be a nice touch.

^ No it was speculated that the Wii U would only support +remotes, it makes me glad that we got a confirmation about this now. I only have one +remote, but I have two normal ones, now I don't have to worry as much when it comes to have an additional motion+.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

I never really cared until now, and now that I do this seems like a pretty obvious decision.

Nice to have it confirmed though.

the_dengle said:
I kind of like that Nintendo seems to be pretty much just *assuming* that everyone has motion plus, or will go out and get motion plus. It's way more capable than the original remotes. Other devs probably wouldn't feel comfortable about using a peripheral if Nintendo themselves wasn't really pushing it. Dropping the price of motion plus remotes would be a nice touch.

It really depends how they release NintendoLand, if it's sold as a standalone or bundled with motionplus.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I want Red Steel HD with enhanced WM+ controls!!!

I like it better then the second one!

I doesn't have a Wii, but the Wii U was getting my attention (specially because of the price). Butif I need a peripheral to play some games, thats a no for me.

Laurel Aitken said:
I doesn't have a Wii, but the Wii U was getting my attention (specially because of the price). Butif I need a peripheral to play some games, thats a no for me.

I don't.

Also, every Wiimote sold nowadays is already the Wii Motion Plus enhanced model, so you don't need to get any peripheral.

anyone who is new to Wii and want to play MP games on WiiU will buy a Motionplus since that's the only controller Nintendo is selling now anyway

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

good, i was getting worried for a second there.