By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US national debt hits $16 trillion! In other news, President Hu Jintao of China retires...

I seriously just wish the executives at google would take over for the states. I think they would do a far better job

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:
Ok, I figured out what to do with my time. I am going to run for congress on the platform of cutting benefits voters get and raising their taxes. Hey, VOTE FOR ME!

Politicians have been successful with such a strategy in the past, and if they're successful they often have very high approval ratings ...

In a very general sense.  If it is made personal, then people usually won't vote for the candidate, PARTICULARLY individuals running for congress.  How about a candidate who runs on raising everyone's taxes and bring back less money from Washington?

Usually this kind of strategy works for someone in an executive position (President, Governor, Party leader in parliamentary system) because it is presented as dealing with a serious problem using real leadership. I’m not certain it would work as a senator or congressman because they have limited ability to deliver on their promise.

With that said, if you presented it as the United States is on the path to the same kind of financial crisis as Europe unless the deficit and debt is tackled immediately you could probably argue for (just about) anything and be successful.

Marks said:
I wonder how bad it will be after 4 more years of Obama/Romney. I wonder if America will hit $20 trillion debt next term...or if a president will finally make a few tough cuts and slow it down to maybe "just" $16 trillion.

i would guess since obama's first term increased debt ~$5 trillion

romney would do around ~$3 trillion

Obama 2nd term ~$6 trillion

Kasz216 said:
Marks said:
I wonder how bad it will be after 4 more years of Obama/Romney. I wonder if America will hit $20 trillion debt next term...or if a president will finally make a few tough cuts and slow it down to maybe "just" $16 trillion.

They meant the total national debt was over 16 trillion.

Which is why people are pissed at the Fed, since what they spent in foreign loans could of paid off the entire national debt.

So just 16 trillion would be a great reductions actualy.

Really though, using the Fed as an income source for government is a bad idea.

The Fed already gives congress money to pay down the deficit... and it instead ends up helping fuel government spending.  Whenever the fed gives them more then expected it just increases what they spend off budget.

I read the title wrong lol thought it said hits $14 trillion. Wow so its already at $16 trillion

I say raise the minimum rage to $100 bucks a hour, No taxes for people that make less than 10,000,000 a year, double for those than make over that. Shotguns for all hookers and pets. Problem solved!

Around the Network

Dont worry more tax cuts for the rich will solve all our problems, they create jobs, trickle down and shit

Who is John Galt?

Salnax said:
Who else are we supposed to vote for? Ron Paul? Mickey Mouse?

Yes vote for mickey mouse, i dare you!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

To sort this out, the politicians have to stop lying first and do their job in the interest of the whole nation, not a group of people.

They need to pull out of Afghanistan, end all aid, close the military bases throughout the world and raises lots of taxes, especially out of the rich.

People, don't want big government in the USA, but the government are what caused it, so the government must sort the problem out

Anyway, who replaces Hu Jintao?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Lets not forget that 3.5 trillion of this is due to an economic recession which has lowered tax revenue and caused in increase in spending from federal safety net programs such as unemployment and food stamps.

The debt is a long term problem being exaserbated by a short term one, namely the economy. We need to grow ourselves out of this. We need to create new, temporary jobs by rebuilding and improving our D-grade infrastructure. Fixing up our high way system and transporation systems, building high speed rail, bringing our communication infrastructure into the 21st century by bringing high speed internet into rural areas where it is not yet profitable for private companies to do so. We did similar infrastructure projects in the 30s-50s, and it allowed business to thrive.We also need to put money into rehiring public servants such as teachers and policeman, and invest in giving them the tools they need to better do their jobs.

As Obama has said, no single business is built purely by one person. He or she relies on public infrastructure in order to do business. Better infrastructure means businesses are better able to thrive in the future.

These jobs are only temporary, but as has been done in the past, these jobs are meant to only jump start the economy so that consumers will have the money to begin buying products again, and allow new private businesses to thrive, begin hiring more people to keep up with demand, so that when these public projects are finished workers will have places to go in the private sector.

From there we need to end the Bush tax cuts. That added another 1.6 trillion to the deficit. ALL of them. Democrats haven't had the guts to say it, but history has shown that people don't need lower tax cuts to thrive. The 2000s had the slowest rate of job growth in 60 years. The middle class was perfectly able to thrive under higher taxes in previous decades, there is no reason why they cannot do so again.

There are other things that need to be done, of course, but I don't see a point in writing anything more. But here's a breakdown of the debt added on top of the 5.6 trillion debt we had at the end of 2000:

1.5 trillion from increased military spending

1.4 trillion from Iraq/Afganistan wars

1.4 trillion in incremental interest due to increased debt

0.9 trillion from stimulus and tax cuts under Barack Obama.

These costs may be shared between both Bush and Obama, but don't let yourselves be fooled into thinking that Obama and the democrats are the primary people responsible for the debt.

At the end of the final Bush budget in 2009, the debt was at 11.9 trillion.

Almost all of the primary debt increases are derived either from Bush policies or happened under Bush's watch. ALL of the major increases in the debt are either caused by the start of Bush policies things that happened under Bush's watch, or a reaction to things that happened under Bush's watch. Let's also not forget that Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, and indeed most of the long time members of congressional GOP voted for everything that happened before 2009.

And now we have Romney, who wants to double down on these policies with FURTHER tax cuts, further military spending increases, and won't give us any specifics on what he'll cut in order to make it deficit neutral. Either he'll make himself a one term president by slashing government programs, or he'll go the Bush route and...not. Frankly, I expect the latter.

Democrats aint perfect of course. Most of them voted for these wars, and increases in military spending. Heck, some even voted for the Bush tax cuts (well, in the senate anyway). Obama has allowed most of Bush's spending policies to continue (though I'm pretty sure we can all agree that he couldn't let the Bush tax cuts expire in the middle of a recession, or with draw from Iraq and Afganistan the moment he took office without being incredibly irresponsible). Let's not delude ourselves that this is a one party problem.

But also lets not delude ourselves into thinking that this is all on Obama, or that CURRENT republican office holders who continue to hold office aren't also responsible for it. Including, of course, the current VP candidate. Let's not also delude ourselves into thinking that Romney is going to reduce the deficit while increasing military spending and decreasing tax cuts.