By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US national debt hits $16 trillion! In other news, President Hu Jintao of China retires...

SecondWar said:
To even attempt to deal with a debt pile of that size you need both serious tax rises and serious spending cuts. Unfortunately, neither party will do both.

The Republicans will generally cut spending but will then also cut taxes. The military, which is sucks up a massive amount of resources, but seems almost immune to austerity.

The Democrats will (try) to raise taxes but will also increase the level of spending, in the process getting a lot of negative press-attention from more vocal right-wing 'patriots'.

People always want short-term, quick fixes but for an issue like this there is no such thing, any solution is long-term and will likely cause problems in the short-term, creating a backlash and only serving to make it worse.

There is a secondary problem with Tax increases.

Generally it's been shown that whenever taxes increase.  Spending increases offsetting any deficit reduction.

They can be a part of the solution but you need real dedication and heavy cuts to make it work.

Essentially making heavier then usual cuts, combined with tax increases, so the tax increase money is unallocated and can go where it's needed.

It's why I think we need a Libretarian government.  They can come in, and smash down just about everything... then be replaced in 4 years and taxes can be raised up, and taxes put to more efficent uses.

Around the Network
kennyrester said:

Hu's the president of China?

Hu is.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Hu's retirement has little to do with that.

Aside from the frightful human rights abuses, the Chinese system does more to accomodate long-term thinking, while here in America democracy has bought us uncertainty as to whether we'll even agree to continue paying our debt.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Fed audited and caught giving out 16 trillion to banks in the US and places around the world. Goobye Bernanke and thank you Ron Paul. :)

http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2012/09/first-audit-in-the-federal-reserves-nearly-100-year-history-were-posted-today-the-results-are-startling-2449770.html

I... already knew about that.  

in fact...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/traceygreenstein/2011/09/20/the-feds-16-trillion-bailouts-under-reported/

Can't see it doing much now since it didn't then.

Viper1 said:
kennyrester said:

Hu is.

That's what I'm asking, Hu is?

Around the Network
kennyrester said:
Viper1 said:
kennyrester said:

Hu is.

First base!

kennyrester said:
Viper1 said:
kennyrester said:

Hu is.

Hu is president.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Mr Khan said:

Aside from the frightful human rights abuses, the Chinese system does more to accomodate long-term thinking, while here in America democracy has bought us uncertainty as to whether we'll even agree to continue paying our debt.

Hu is getting out at the right time though... big worrisome economic problems, big problems with people mad at the ruling caste government embezzlement (see the recent mercedes incident.  The chinese one obviously.)

Hu getting out now reminds me of when Theo Epstein left the Red Sox.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Hu is getting out at the right time though... big worrisome economic problems, big problems with people mad at the ruling caste government embezzlement (see the recent mercedes incident.  The chinese one obviously.)

Hu getting out now reminds me of when Theo Epstein left the Red Sox.

Oh i agree, things aren't as rosy for the Chinese as people make them out to be, though there are some advantages in their system (one of which is keeping things rosier than they should be, namely that they're propping the real-estate bubble up with simple fiat)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

this is why politics and money is useless.

Everyone should switch over to a resource base economy like in Star Trek.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5