By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why american prefer 360 to PS3?

$279.99 Price Point

Would people stop posting this as the reason why the 360 sells so well in the US. The real price point is 350$ (which still is below 400$).

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

^no - 280 is what ppl are looking at (ppl look at the min)

...Whatever you say about the price point, the 360 is cheaper.  No blu-ray, sure, but it's cheaper.

Truthfully, 360 and PS3 are so close together in sales after you discount the year head-start that the answer to "why does group x prefer 360/PS3 to PS3/360 is not that important...it's not like they prefer it by 100% or anything.  But I admit it is kind of interesting.

mrstickball said:

Xbox 360:
Strongly West-Centric Content
Large Online gaming community supported since 2002 on the Xbox)
Focus on Hardcore and Core gaming
$279.99 Price Point

For all those reasons, but even more importantly: more games and better games.

1 BioShock 96
2 Orange Box, The 96
3 Gears of War 94
4 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 94
5 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 94
6 Halo 3 94
7 Rock Band 93
8 Guitar Hero II 92
9 Mass Effect 91
10 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 90
11 Forza Motorsport 2 90
12 Call of Duty 2 89
13 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 89
14 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 89
15 Burnout Revenge 89
16 Virtua Fighter 5 88
17 Project Gotham Racing 3 88
18 Rez HD 88
19 Burnout Paradise 88
20 Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles, The 86

That's 15 89+ games whereas the PS3 and Wii have 7 combined.

As always, it's about the GAMES.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

gebx said:
NGG_RAY said:
I have a few reason on why the PS3 gets a bad reputation in America, it has alot to do with SCEA. Not the game development team who make great titles but the heads of the gaming division in America. Jack Tretton is infamous over here for making constant "foot in mouth" statements to the US press and he gets reamed for it. Sony is also seen by many over here as too arrogant and out of touch with the average gamer.

Another reason is simple economics, the US is in a recession so people have less disposable income. The highest priced console always suffers under those circumstances, regardless of included features and perks.

Marketing also plays a part in its lack of success as well, the ads over here suck. They are either too strange like the creepy baby one or redundant like the "ladies and gentlemen" ad. Xbox has better marketing over here, the ads for Gears of War and Bioshock in particular.

I think that the true solution for PS3 in America is a change in mangement over here. If Phil Harrison were in charge in the US i don't think PS3 would be trailing by such a large margin over here.

Weird how the 360 has the exact same perception described above in europe.

Interesting, how does 360 advertise over in Europe? I've heard that Microsoft doesn't put enough effort into the European market to be successful. Can you describe what the perception of Microsoft is in Europe, does it have to do with the console being percieved more as a PC that plays PC type games ?  I've heard much speculation and I'm curious what the rest of the world thinks of the 360.

Around the Network

Well, the head start, all the war and shooting games, it's lower pricem and the controller that's not for 10 year old hands is probably why it's doing better in America.

360 is not a bad console, it has way more appealing games than PS3.

The problem is europeans see the Xbox as a gimped PC:
- The games are more expensive, yet they're inferior versions
- You have to pay to play online
- It has almost no flexibility compared to a PC
- In the end of the generation, it will most likely cost the same, if not more, to support the 360 as a PC

And since the 360 is a foreign product in Japan, it ends up being ignored regardless of it's quality.