By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Semi-official Star Wars: The Clone Wars & Star Wars: Rebels thread

I'm pretty disappointed tbh, I loved this show at times, but at others, some of the filler was just awful and served no purpose to the overall plot, the Droid and Younglings arcs were too long and really didn't expand on anything :/

Yeah I get the feeling the Season 5 Blu-ray/DVD copy will include Season 6  :P

It was the creators own fault though, the plot moved too slowly at times and not enough happened, at the very beginning, the show attracted audiences of over 4 million when it began, but with the last season, it collapsed to just over 1 million :/

Around the Network

The younglings arc wasn't terrible or anything. It just shouldn't have been 20% of the season. The droid arc was pretty bad. Except for Gregor. Gregor is awesome. Speaking of, I want to know if he survived. Dave Filoni kept saying he might have.

I'm pretty sure those episodes were made to appeal to the younger crowd. This show was supposed to be kid friendly (though you wouldn't believe it after watching some of the episodes...). Still, when the show hits its high points... man does it really soar.

I don't think it's the viewership that caused it (S5 was about the same as S4). I think that it's a combination of things. Disney scrapped the 3D re-releases for now, delayed Detours indefinitely, and decided to wrap up TCW. So they definitely came in ready to make changes. It's possible that TCW cost them more money than they wanted to spend, but I'm not sure if they're planning on making a new animated series. I think it's more to do with Disney wanting to move in a new direction to get people excited about Star Wars again. Detours was met with some pretty mixed responses, and I think Disney wants to get the Star Wars wagon rolling again with some huge stuff. With TCW nearing its end anyway, it was probably a pretty easy decision for them to make.

insomniac17 said:

The younglings arc wasn't terrible or anything. It just shouldn't have been 20% of the season. The droid arc was pretty bad. Except for Gregor. Gregor is awesome. Speaking of, I want to know if he survived. Dave Filoni kept saying he might have.

I'm pretty sure those episodes were made to appeal to the younger crowd. This show was supposed to be kid friendly (though you wouldn't believe it after watching some of the episodes...). Still, when the show hits its high points... man does it really soar.

I don't think it's the viewership that caused it (S5 was about the same as S4). I think that it's a combination of things. Disney scrapped the 3D re-releases for now, delayed Detours indefinitely, and decided to wrap up TCW. So they definitely came in ready to make changes. It's possible that TCW cost them more money than they wanted to spend, but I'm not sure if they're planning on making a new animated series. I think it's more to do with Disney wanting to move in a new direction to get people excited about Star Wars again. Detours was met with some pretty mixed responses, and I think Disney wants to get the Star Wars wagon rolling again with some huge stuff. With TCW nearing its end anyway, it was probably a pretty easy decision for them to make.

Yeah, but it's this reasoning that screws franchises over in the first place.  Was Ultimate Spider-man needed?  Spectacular was more than good enough. Whatever they replace Clone Wars with isn't going to get anyone hyped anymore than what this show was/is doing.  They should have moved it to Disney XD and just revamp the series to tie into whatever they're doing for the movies.

darkknightkryta said:

Yeah, but it's this reasoning that screws franchises over in the first place.  Was Ultimate Spider-man needed?  Spectacular was more than good enough. Whatever they replace Clone Wars with isn't going to get anyone hyped anymore than what this show was/is doing.  They should have moved it to Disney XD and just revamp the series to tie into whatever they're doing for the movies.

Well, I don't know if I'm right, and if that is right, I'm definitely not saying I agree with it. And at least it sounds like we'll still have about a season's worth of content to come. Regardless, there isn't much we can do about it. Let's just hope the new show is as good as or better than TCW has been. (I'd imagine they'd keep the same CGI animation; it'd be a waste to throw all that away with how far it's come.)

It's not looking good, guys. Disney's laying off people at Lucasfilm Animation (not just limited to The Clone Wars). Supposedly, the season 6 content won't be affected, but... couple this with a reported 8 seasons that had been planned, and I'm seriously bummed. However, there are people who think we can change this... Maybe, maybe not. But it's worth a shot.

http://www.savetheclonewars.com/

Petition to save the show, here.

Around the Network

A couple of pieces of good news. First, Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 5 has been nominated for 7, yes 7, daytime emmy's. That's the first time for the show, and it's long overdue. (Also something I'm excited about; Legend of Korra got 3 nominations).

Next... Well, I'll let this speak for itself. With this, it looks like we'll be getting at least three new arcs. Fingers crossed for more!

Here's a sneak peak of what looks like an upcoming Yoda arc!

Star Wars: Rebels has been announced! It's set between Episodes 3 and 4, and will be released on DisneyXD in Fall 2014, following a one hour premiere on Disney Channel. I've made this thread into a thread for Rebels as well as TCW, since I doubt Rebels will be much more popular than TCW on this site.

Will we get to see some favourites from TCW return? Will it even be as good as TCW?

Finally, some news! First, the logo for Star Wars: Rebels. I'll wrap the post up with a few other images related to Rebels.

Interesting contrast to that of TCW, I think. Here's the official news post. It doesn't say much, other than emphasizing that the art for the series was heavily influenced by Ralph McQuarrie, who was the concept artist for the original Star Wars. It also mentions that the name of the main character's ship is Ghost.

Now, here's an interview with Dave Filoni. It's not much, but... hey, any news is good news. Nothing about the bonus content, though, but a possibility of a character in Rebels being voiced by Warwick Davis.

As far as The Clone Wars goes, we have an official release date for the Season 5 DVD and Blu-ray. Look for them on October 15th, retailing at $49.98 and $59.97, respectively.

We also get some pleasantly surprising news; on the same date, we'll also be seeing a compilation of Seasons 1-5, along with a specially made 54 page art booklet, including many never before seen pieces. The DVD and Blu-ray collector's editions will cost $119.98 and $149.99, respectively.

Oh, and box art! It's not Ahsoka, but Obi-Wan is cool too.

And now, the other two images for Star Wars: Rebels!

FIrst bit of SW animation news in months! We have some rumors about who will be cast in the starring roles on Star Wars: Rebels.

"According to the trade pub, David Oyelowo, Freddie Prinze Jr., Vanessa Marshall, Taylor Gray and Steven Jay Blum are in the process of being cast as the leads for the series."

David Oyelowo has acted in Red Tails and Lincoln. Freddie Prinze Jr. has some very interesting roles under his belt; everything from voices in a Kim Possible movie to WWE. Vanessa Marshall has done a ton of VA roles, and has done some work with Star Wars before (KotOR II, Jedi Knight II). Taylor Gray seems to be relatively new on the scene. I didn't see a wikipedia page for him. Steven Jay Blum has done a ton of everything VA related, including multiple Star Wars titles.

And, here's some nice fan art for the new show!