By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Democrats are Racist?!

HappySqurriel said:
MrBubbles said:
in canada, our health cards have pictures on them. so if the republicans support a health care system like ours, everyone will have photo ID which they can present to vote! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws

In Canada to vote, one must prove their identity and address. A voter has three options[1]:

(1) Show one original piece of identification with photo, name and address like a driver's licence or an health card. It must be issued by a government agency.

(2) Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have a name and one must also have a address. Examples: student ID card, birth certificate, public transportation card, utility bill, bank/credit card statement, etc.

(3) Take an oath and have an elector who knows the voter vouch for them (both of which will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as the voter. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.

not sure your point?  (since this thread is about voter identification in the US...? someone mentioned state ID costs money whereas our health cards are free)[im familiar with canadian laws to vote since i vote at every election...twice even]

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
killerzX said:
SamuelRSmith said:
enrageorange said:

A day doesn't go by where people don't make this stupid comparisions. This goes for both Republicans and Democrats. It's like saying the GOP wants to ban concealed weapons because they didn't allow concealed weapons in the actual convention.

I actually agree with your post. Just posting this link in reference to that line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-bans-assault-weapons-2012-7

well actually. its not a very valid comparision. they arent pushing for any law banning conceal carry. and it is very consitant with the law. its private property, so they can choose what they want to allow are not. if they wanted to ban people from wearing red shirts they could do that. that doesnt mean they want to pass legislation banning red shirts.

but if requiring ID to vote is racist, then it doesnt magically become not racist when it comes to going into a convention. both would be racist.

Look, honestly, I don't care about the politics of it.  It's just that your comparison is inane.  Security and voting are two ENTIRELY different things.  One has to do with protecting the President of the United States and other members of government, and the other has to do with ... voting.  It's just a really meaningless comparison.  In fact, it's so bad that it hurts your credibility in terms of presenting a logical argument.  It's goofy and you shouldn't want people to associate you with goofy.

"Requiring ID to vote" =/= "going into a convention".  I'm sorry, but for you to have a point these things would have to even slightly equate to one another and they simply do not.  Well, not unless the place where you vote lets you mill around for three days and features many government VIPs.

richardhutnik said:
killerzX said:
SamuelRSmith said:
enrageorange said:

A day doesn't go by where people don't make this stupid comparisions. This goes for both Republicans and Democrats. It's like saying the GOP wants to ban concealed weapons because they didn't allow concealed weapons in the actual convention.

I actually agree with your post. Just posting this link in reference to that line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-bans-assault-weapons-2012-7

well actually. its not a very valid comparision. they arent pushing for any law banning conceal carry. and it is very consitant with the law. its private property, so they can choose what they want to allow are not. if they wanted to ban people from wearing red shirts they could do that. that doesnt mean they want to pass legislation banning red shirts.

but if requiring ID to vote is racist, then it doesnt magically become not racist when it comes to going into a convention. both would be racist.

The charges of racism aren't over just the requiring of the ID, but the motivation behind it.  Since Romney polled like 0% support among African-Americans, there is definitely an interest in keeping away demographic groups which would vote for Obama from the polls and block them from voting.  Racism is the wrong charge.  The right charge is blocking for partisan reasons.

Except, previously voter ID laws were supported by a dual panel including republicans and democrat led by Jimmy Carter.

It's not right questioning why Republicans are supporting such measures.   The real question is... why have democrats STOPPED supporting such measures.

I'm not sure I get this problem with requiring a photo ID.

Surely a valid driver's license, obtainable in the US two full years before you can even vote, would count as valid photo ID? And a passport would do the same?

Is it so much to ask that every citizen of what is an extremely affluent country has one of those things? And I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives available.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

Surely a valid driver's license, obtainable in the US two full years before you can even vote, would count as valid photo ID? And a passport would do the same?

Is it so much to ask that every citizen of what is an extremely affluent country has one of those things? And I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives available.

With the way the USA is laid out, most people would have to drive to their voting booths... so, legally, they would be required to have some form of ID on them, anyway.

Not that I'm either supporting or attacking these laws, I am indifferent to them.

Around the Network

Also, I thought this thread was going to be deeper than this. You know, going into the political history of the Democrat party.

Kantor said:

According to democrats that's racist, because it might cost you money to get... or if it doesn't, it costs money to get a birth certificate if you lost your free birth certificate, or if you have that... it might cost you 2 bucks to take the bus to get to the place that does it.

Thereore it's racist...  because minorities are more likely to have less money.

SamuelRSmith said:
Also, I thought this thread was going to be deeper than this. You know, going into the political history of the Democrat party.

i have done things similar to that in the past. their is a wealth of information about the democratic parties history and foundation in racism.

but this thread was tounge in cheek, not serious. kind of like my RNC is racist thread

Kasz216 said:
Kantor said:

According to democrats that's racist, because it might cost you money to get... or if it doesn't, it costs money to get a birth certificate if you lost your free birth certificate, or if you have that... it might cost you 2 bucks to take the bus to get to the place that does it.

Thereore it's racist...  because minorities are more likely to have less money.

Clearly money is racist, and we should abolish it and move towards a Communist economy based on need. Or perhaps bartering, whichever helps minorities more.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

Well ... yes, actually.  It might be an affluent country but that doesn't mean all its citizens are.  Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on Presidential campaigns but a significant percentage of the country lives below the poverty line and/or is unemployed.  Millions of people do not drive and have no access to a car, especially in the inner city, where the cost of buying and owning a car is extremely high.  Requiring a driver's license to vote is an unreasonable expectation.  A Passport is around $135 and the North America-only Passport Card is $60, with like a 4-6 week wait.  They also have quite a few hoops to jump through, and many people have no idea how or where to get one.  Looking it up online--hmm, the nearest place for me to apply is 19 miles away.  That's a pretty substantial barrier that a lot of people aren't going to cross simply to vote.

Make no mistake, the positions of both sides are entirely centered around political advantage.  The Republicans absolutely want this because they KNOW it could cut out a nice little chunk of voters.  If they thought it would hurt them more than it would help then they wouldn't push for it.  Democrats don't want it for the exact same reason.  Neither side has an altruistic motive in mind.

Personally, I have no problem with requiring a form of photo ID to vote, provided significant steps are taken to ensure that people know they will need one before hand, that they are educated about how to get one, and that accessibility is ensured--for example, asking that someone sick or disabled stand in line all day at the DMV is hardly fair.  You can get a State ID card for under $20 in most places, but a lot of people don't know that, and as I said, the DMV can be a hassle that takes the better part of a day.

As with most things, compromise would solve this, but it's now become a political issue they both sides want to WIN rather than work out logically.  I do believe, however, that the first year a photo ID is required to vote, that every possible effort is made to ensure that every voter understands and is given a reasonable opportunity and chance to obtain one, probably with free voter ID cards.  If you have a large number of voters showing up unaware of the change, then yes, something has gone very wrong.