By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Democrats are Racist?!

richardhutnik said:
pokoko said:
I'm not sure I understand. I sense you're attempting a joke somehow but I can't quite put my finger on it. Some kind of comparison between security measures at a convention filled with high ranking members of government, including the President, and voting at the local community center ...?

This is some kind of complex meta-joke isn't it? You can't see it, but I'm narrowing my eyes in suspicion right now.

It is actually an attempt to score debate points by calling hypocrisy without context. I hold such behavior shows a person who is weak in their own values, as I claim here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147194

Yeah, but ... that's impossible, isn't it?  There has to be some kind of deeper meaning, something really subtle.  Right?

Otherwise the OP makes no sense at all.  That's as invalid and nonsensical a comparison as I've ever seen.  I cannot think that we are supposed to take it literally.   I want to believe in Hope and Love and Logic.  I want to believe that people are above seriously comparing apples to Schrödinger's cat.

No!  I'm going to be over here in the Optimisum corner waiting for the punch-line to drop!  There is going to be something really, really clever underneath that lame comparison!  You'll see!

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Voter ID laws simply make sense and all legitimate fears can be eliminated by simply giving away free ID for people who don't have any ID ...

Realistically though, I don't think either side is taking a principled position and they're mostly focused on how these laws will impact elections. Looking at Florida voter registration since their voter ID law has taken effect it is easy to see why:

While a large portion of the "boost" in 2008 and the "fall" in 2012 can be attributed to people embracing Obama in 2008 and becoming disillusioned in 2012, I think a very significant portion of the difference is caused by people not having the ID to vote. While there is no "smoking gun" there is evidence to suggest that some of these registered voters without ID may not have had the right to vote in the first place:

In a state that is close enough that 500 voters either way can decide an election, a small portion of people voting without the legal right to can easily change the outcome of an election

WOW!  Proof illegals are doing jobs Americans don't want to do!  In an age where they are begging legitimate voters to go vote, they get illegals doing it instead?  WOW!

enrageorange said:

A day doesn't go by where people don't make this stupid comparisions. This goes for both Republicans and Democrats. It's like saying the GOP wants to ban concealed weapons because they didn't allow concealed weapons in the actual convention.

I actually agree with your post. Just posting this link in reference to that line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/romney-bans-assault-weapons-2012-7

pokoko said:
richardhutnik said:
pokoko said:
I'm not sure I understand. I sense you're attempting a joke somehow but I can't quite put my finger on it. Some kind of comparison between security measures at a convention filled with high ranking members of government, including the President, and voting at the local community center ...?

This is some kind of complex meta-joke isn't it? You can't see it, but I'm narrowing my eyes in suspicion right now.

It is actually an attempt to score debate points by calling hypocrisy without context. I hold such behavior shows a person who is weak in their own values, as I claim here:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147194

Yeah, but ... that's impossible, isn't it?  There has to be some kind of deeper meaning, something really subtle.  Right?

Otherwise the OP makes no sense at all.  That's as invalid and nonsensical a comparison as I've ever seen.  I cannot think that we are supposed to take it literally.   I want to believe in Hope and Love and Logic.  I want to believe that people are above seriously comparing apples to Schrödinger's cat.

No!  I'm going to be over here in the Optimisum corner waiting for the punch-line to drop!  There is going to be something really, really clever underneath that lame comparison!  You'll see!

The OP equated reporter suppression with voter suppression.  I get it.  The Democratic Party is so concerned about negative Democratic bias, they want to keep reporters out.

Hey, if you don't get the point the OP is making, come up with your own you find most entertaining.

in canada, our health cards have pictures on them. so if the republicans support a health care system like ours, everyone will have photo ID which they can present to vote! :)

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

WOW!  Proof illegals are doing jobs Americans don't want to do!  In an age where they are begging legitimate voters to go vote, they get illegals doing it instead?  WOW!

Honestly, Americans don't vote for the same reason people around the world don't vote:

MrBubbles said:
in canada, our health cards have pictures on them. so if the republicans support a health care system like ours, everyone will have photo ID which they can present to vote! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws

In Canada to vote, one must prove their identity and address. A voter has three options[1]:

(1) Show one original piece of identification with photo, name and address like a driver's licence or an health card. It must be issued by a government agency.

(2) Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have a name and one must also have a address. Examples: student ID card, birth certificate, public transportation card, utility bill, bank/credit card statement, etc.

(3) Take an oath and have an elector who knows the voter vouch for them (both of which will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as the voter. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.

SamuelRSmith said:
enrageorange said:

A day doesn't go by where people don't make this stupid comparisions. This goes for both Republicans and Democrats. It's like saying the GOP wants to ban concealed weapons because they didn't allow concealed weapons in the actual convention.

I actually agree with your post. Just posting this link in reference to that line.

well actually. its not a very valid comparision. they arent pushing for any law banning conceal carry. and it is very consitant with the law. its private property, so they can choose what they want to allow are not. if they wanted to ban people from wearing red shirts they could do that. that doesnt mean they want to pass legislation banning red shirts.

but if requiring ID to vote is racist, then it doesnt magically become not racist when it comes to going into a convention. both would be racist.

HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:

Honestly, Americans don't vote for the same reason people around the world don't vote:

It apparently is easier to block people from voting than it is to give legitimate voters a candidate they want to vote for.

killerzX said:
SamuelRSmith said:
enrageorange said:

well actually. its not a very valid comparision. they arent pushing for any law banning conceal carry. and it is very consitant with the law. its private property, so they can choose what they want to allow are not. if they wanted to ban people from wearing red shirts they could do that. that doesnt mean they want to pass legislation banning red shirts.

but if requiring ID to vote is racist, then it doesnt magically become not racist when it comes to going into a convention. both would be racist.

The charges of racism aren't over just the requiring of the ID, but the motivation behind it.  Since Romney polled like 0% support among African-Americans, there is definitely an interest in keeping away demographic groups which would vote for Obama from the polls and block them from voting.  Racism is the wrong charge.  The right charge is blocking for partisan reasons.