By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I thought we were past this?

Legend11 it's future proof that's why.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I still can't understand why Sony went with the Cell for PS3.  What was wrong with existing processors that Sony felt they had to develop something new that would give third parties unnecessary problems and expense while they learned how to develop on it?

Microsoft's processor is completely different then today's processors.. your point?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Legend11 said:
I still can't understand why Sony went with the Cell for PS3. What was wrong with existing processors that Sony felt they had to develop something new that would give third parties unnecessary problems and expense while they learned how to develop on it?

When is "current" ever good enough for Sony :P But it's an amazing chip set, quite remarkable from a performance standpoint xD just it will take some time to adapt to. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I'd forgotten about this game. How long has it been in development?

Also, isn't that a lot of platforms? How different will a PC, 360, Wii and PS2 be? I mean to make the most of each platform they're going to need some pretty different versions of code, etc. I would have thought.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@legend

Because it was the most and still is the most advanced CPU in the market.

mM
Around the Network

I see Legend11s point, and 360 processord is not that diferent, in fact is using an aproach which has been seen in the PC market for a few years...

The main reason, push up the Cell, I remember the claims about put it on everything, CellPhones, DigitalCams, HD Tvs, thats the main reason, so they are expenting to have a nice background with the PS3 to push it in more devices...

Of course, the ones who are having a hard time now are the devs...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

This game is gonna flop anyways. It will be just like Manhunt 2.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Legend11 said:
I still can't understand why Sony went with the Cell for PS3. What was wrong with existing processors that Sony felt they had to develop something new that would give third parties unnecessary problems and expense while they learned how to develop on it?

It was a gamble... sparkly new capabilities vs ease-of-development. They chose the former. Time will tell how well the gamble will pay off.

But then, the PS3 is full of gambles:

1. Cell processor (really powerful but harder to tap)

2. Blu-ray (new optical tech and expensive)

3. Very high initial price.

I think the PS3 will survive and do well, but I doubt it will ever sell like the PS2.

leo-j said:
@legend

Because it was the most and still is the most advanced CPU in the market.

Mass-market, that is. Some developer PC's have specs that could make even non-geeks shit themselves.

delays can be frustrating, but if it improves the game then its not to bad.