By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Rumor. Disney to drop BR.

Hoping if anyoe here have heard this.

A firend of mine that works at Dinsey called me last night and told me not to buy BR player yet.

It seems that a rumor is going around in his office that Disney is planning to drop all movied for BR. They are not choosing HDDVD, but continue to release movies on DVD.

Of course there is no link to this.

Anyone here work at Disney and heard the same rumor?

If this is true, then what will happen to BR? Will other studios follow?

One thing is clear tho, HDDVD is on it's way out.

Around the Network

I dunno - I can't see why Disney would do that. They pimp out High School Musical - Mickey and everything else ... makes no sense. Going neutral? Possible ... but not dropping BR.

why would they drop their BR support now that BR looks like the clear winner?

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Lmao, no. Just...no.

They are not making any money on BR yet.

Around the Network

Proof or it didn't happen.

carlos710 said:

DVD outsold BR nearly 200:1 last year. DVD is the format winner.

The other thing to consider is that BD players also play DVDs.  So you have 100% of your market if you sell DVDs only and it costs you nothing extra.  Rather than selling BDs to about one percent of your market and DVDs to 99%, you sell DVDs to all of those people (since few people will buy a movie just because is BD). 

stop with the lies

TheBigFatJ said:
carlos710 said:

DVD outsold BR nearly 200:1 last year. DVD is the format winner.

The other thing to consider is that BD players also play DVDs.  So you have 100% of your market if you sell DVDs only and it costs you nothing extra.  Rather than selling BDs to about one percent of your market and DVDs to 99%, you sell DVDs to all of those people (since few people will buy a movie just because is BD). 

Yea, and DVD beat VCR right when it entered the market. BD will have a harder time beating DVD then that, but what you just said makes no sense.

Seems unlikely. Especially since Disney is on the Blu-ray association board.

Perhaps there's a new tech coming that'll upscale DVD so well it'll make Blu-ray/HD-DVD almost totally unnecessary??