By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should sony advertise PSone classics

So one would assume Sony has a massive advertising compaigne lined up for this fall. They've got a good line up of highly commercial games (AC3, COD, LBP) which backed by some very strong ports/remakes (PS all stars, Ratchet, Jet set radio, Persona 4, Zone of Enders HD), and its a prime opportunity for Sony to steal some thunder from the 3DS, Which from my knowing has virtually nothing coming out since Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing have been delayed till 2013 (western release)

Amongst all of this do you think its worth Sony advertising the ps1 (tv spots), specifically stating prices start from £2.99 (don't know the american price). Would this hold any power over the general consumer, enough to warrant the cost of advertising. I say this because I personally think the ps1 classics are a fairly big deal, Nostalgia is very powerfull, but I think only the core gamer who who visits a site like this would be aware of the ps1 lineup. 

Around the Network

NO. I don't think the average consumer would really care.

Yeah, although it'll be in conjunction with adverts for the big titles ps3 quality titles. So It'll just be showing another perk of the PSVita.

Think about it. Should Nintendo advertise SNES?
People don't buy a new console to play really old games.

Galaki said:
Think about it. Should Nintendo advertise SNES?
People don't buy a new console to play really old games.

Maybe, I don't think the answer is Simple. WIthout the psp library and the the expected announcement of th ps1 classics I wouldn't of picked up a Vita last month.

The fact is a consoles value is found in the sum of its components/games. Sony wouldn't be saying buy the Vita exclusively for this reason, Its more along the lines of heres another great feature of the Vita. If you look at Apples advertising during the early years of the Iphone, they tv spots were filled with all the different unique apps on the system(from games, to restaurants finders, to personal note), they were not selling on the basis of just one.

Around the Network

Not really, no. There isn't a huge market for 15 year old games, as compared to modern blockbusters.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

"Hey gamers! Remember those games you bought on disc for your PS1 back in 1996? Well, you can buy them again to play on your PSP and PS3! Oh, and some of those games you probably already bought if you are even remotely interested in playing games that are almost 20 years old will also work on the brand new Playstation Vita!! (Unless you live in America)"

I can see how that's going to move a lot of consoles. Nah, Sony would be better off just advertising the Vita's features and games and mentioning PS1 support amongst the features.

It should be part of a commercial but not the main attraction. They should focus on showing big games and so of the A/R features which most people I have showed a Vita to have been impressed with. As someone who didnt have a PS1 (had and N64 that gen) It would be nice to see the big games

I think they should just say in an advert "with PSOne Classics support". No need to give it a lot of attention, just advertise it as a feature along with many other features.

If they made the same amount of PS1 games available in the U.S. as they have in Japan, then maybe. Right now, I don't think many people care too much about playing 2Xtreme and Big Bass Fishing.

I am the Playstation Avenger.