By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Finally Announces Larger SimulView Screen: 84 Inches of 4K Glory

CGI-Quality said:
XanderZane said:

It's going to cost $10K - $15K for that HDTV I bet. I wouldn't waste my money, even if I was a millionaire.

I'm hoping the new consoles are able to support these higher resolutions. That will be critical.

I don't see new consoles supporting such resolutions as critical nor essential. For you to be able to truly enjoy it, your TVs would have to be, @ minimum, 55", and that's a conservative size for a 4k resolution.

No need for that in any console within the next 5-10 years.

To be able to appreciate 2160p you need to sit between 1.3 to 2.6 times the diagonal screen size.
32" is fine when you're sitting at 3.7ft to 7ft away from the display.
Ofcourse if you want to keep room for Kinect you probably want 55" or more.

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
lol
i think that this is ridiculous
its just a monstruosity created for the shake of it

lol that's what I thought too (except the bad spelling)

michael_stutzer said:
The pcture quality of Sony and Samsung TV's are pretty much the same as long as they are calibrated well (I see them everyday, that is my job). Sony models last longer though. That is why there is a premium for Sony TV's.

Why would you want a television that last longer if each TV generation is shorter? Better go with Samsung and get the perfect excuse to upgrade. This is coming for a Sony TV user who is still waiting for his flatscreen SD to die...

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Gilgamesh said:
You can get a 70" LED tv for $2500 - $3000, so I can't see this being more then $6000.

I'd say the price would be around $5000 - $6000.

Who would want to spend that much on a TV?!... not like I would or anything...

NintendoPie said:
Gilgamesh said:
You can get a 70" LED tv for $2500 - $3000, so I can't see this being more then $6000.

Ya but cmon back when the first LCD panel tvs came out a 42" was worth thousands. I bought my LCD tv about 4 years ago, its a LG 32" great tv, back then it was originally $1500 but there was a big special going on and I got it for half price $750. You can get a 32" tv now for less then $299. In 5 - 10 years these tv's will probably be in the affordable zone (under $1000) which I would easily buy. 

You gotta start somewhere, why not now?

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
NintendoPie said:
Gilgamesh said:

Ya but cmon back when the first LCD panel tvs came out a 42" was worth thousands. I bought my LCD tv about 4 years ago, its a LG 32" great tv, back then it was originally $1500 but there was a big special going on and I got it for half price $750. You can get a 32" tv now for less then $299. In 5 - 10 years these tv's will probably be in the affordable zone (under $1000) which I would easily buy. 

Yep exactly. And it's not just sony...bunch of other companies like LG also unveiled their latest 4k tv models at this very event. The whole industry is slowly but surely heading in that direction

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

TomaTito said:
michael_stutzer said:
The pcture quality of Sony and Samsung TV's are pretty much the same as long as they are calibrated well (I see them everyday, that is my job). Sony models last longer though. That is why there is a premium for Sony TV's.

Why would you want a television that last longer if each TV generation is shorter? Better go with Samsung and get the perfect excuse to upgrade. This is coming for a Sony TV user who is still waiting for his flatscreen SD to die...

I have a Sony SD too and my family bought it 16-17 years ago lol. My grandparents also have a Sony TV which is, I think, much older. I have Samsung plasma for Ps3 now though.

kowenicki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Gilgamesh said:
NintendoPie said:
Gilgamesh said:

Yep exactly. And it's not just sony...bunch of other companies like LG also unveiled their latest 4k tv models at this very event. The whole industry is slowly but surely heading in that direction

You can already buy sets from other manufacturers.  The LG 84" is £13,000 ($20,000) - sony will cost more.

So the guess by Gilgamesh was laughable, you are looking at way over $10k for a couple of years yet.

The one I'm talking about is roughly 22k US dollars and it hasn't started shipping yet, even in Korea. It's the new 4k one they announced 

fact of the matter is we do not know the price of sony's 4k tv either. I'm sure it will be more expensive but by how much is the question. 

And what's so laughable about what he said? All companies are starting to come up with new 4k models now. I'm sure it will take a few years to go down in price for certain...but that's exactly what gilga is saying as well. You just have to start somewhere and like he said in 5-10 years the 4k tvs will affordable. Not sure how you can laugh at that notion really. That's just how it's gonna happen

I'm personally more interested in the crystal LED tvs than this tho..

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

kowenicki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
kowenicki said:

You can already buy sets from other manufacturers.  The LG 84" is £13,000 ($20,000) - sony will cost more.

So the guess by Gilgamesh was laughable, you are looking at way over $10k for a couple of years yet.

The one I'm talking about is roughly 22k US dollars and it hasn't started shipping yet, even in Korea. It's the new 4k one they announced 

fact of the matter is we do not know the price of sony's 4k tv either. I'm sure it will be more expensive but by how much is the question. 

And what's so laughable about what he said? All companies are starting to come up with new 4k models now. I'm sure it will take a few years to go down in price for certain...but that's exactly what gilga is saying as well. You just have to start somewhere and like he said in 5-10 years the 4k tvs will affordable. Not sure how you can laugh at that notion really. That's just how it's gonna happen

I'm personally more interested in the crystal LED tvs than this tho..

he predicted a price NOW of $6000 in his orignal post.

ooh gotcha..yeah I don't see it happening either. But I agree with him on the 5-10 year bit. In that time these tv's will be very much affordabe

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

kowenicki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

ooh gotcha..yeah I don't see it happening either. But I agree with him on the 5-10 year bit. In that time these tv's will be very much affordabe

Indeed, in fact I'd say nearer 5 than 10.

that indeed would be awesome

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!