By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - what would the the world be like without nintendo?

Round and blue, with hints of green and brown.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Not as much fun as it is with Nintendo.

QFE... you Mario Kart64 hater... :P

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

@ mistershine; are you cornish per chance?

highwaystar101 said:
^ are you cornish per chance?

All the way through.

It would be like the film world without Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch.
Sad and empty.
Seriously, as much as the other companies hav done in the videogaming story, it has always been Nintendo the one that paved the way for al major improvements during the last 25 years. Games wont be the same without the Big N

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

Around the Network

I would have to think the console/handheld gaming would be a niche market and PC gaming would be by far dominant.

console gaming would never have gone mainstream. It would have been a niche of much more tightly constricted genre's and demographics.
The transition to 3d would have been downright painful as other companies attempted to still use the dpad with a 3d environment. It may have even been abandoned entirely.
There never would have been an attempt made for a portable system that actually played full fledged games. By the time anyone attempted to make a portable console, the shift to 3d graphics would already have people expecting them, and so a portable console would only be seen as taking a step back, since it didn't have time to grow and flourish on it's own.
PC games would basically be filling the gap, but they wouldn't be pushing the graphics as hard, and the standard for a game would instead be to make a game run on the widest variety of current specs.
Of course, you'd still never have games like Zelda Mario and Metroid. It's hard to say whether companies with similar games would have even come up with them, or been willing to attempt them if nintendo hadn't been around, or if they would have flourished because of the lack of competition.

still though, the biggest issue would be that I think we STILL wouldn't have fully recovered from the Atari crash if it hadn't been for Nintendo. Companies may have complained bloody murder and still hate them for it, but it was only Nintendo's quality assurance, marketing, and public relations that was able to regain the public's faith in the industry.
Another company might have been able to do it, but I honestly don't think they could have done it as well.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

i wonder who the first person to 'the same' will be

we wouldn't have Super Mario Bros to show the world (and developers) how to do a proper side-scrolling platformer

we wouldn't have Mario 64 to show the world (and developers) how to do a proper 3d platformer

we wouldn't have the new control scheme that will replace the gamepad as the standard control method from here on out

handheld gaming would likely not be as big, and def wouldn't include a touchscreen device like the DS

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
bluster said:
It would be like the film world without Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch.
Sad and empty.

Hmm, I think you mean: Happy and empty. I wouldn't really describe Eraserhead as a "happy" memory of mine, but definitely amazing.

I would definitely have aced a whole lot more tests/exams/etc.