By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I want everyone to thank EA for improving the 3DS library and sales

JGarret said:
F0X said:
JGarret said:
Troll Whisperer is right.

First, Western studios in general don´t give a shit about dedicated gaming handhelds.

Second, Western studios in general don´t like Nintendo, I know it, Rol knows it, you know it.

Ubisoft seems to be one of the only few exceptions.

Considering how much money Ubisoft made off of DS and Wii games, it's hardly surprising. As for other Western publishers, the only other strong supporter I see is Warner Bros., probably because of successes like Drawn to Life, Scribblenauts, and the LEGO games on Nintendo platforms.

You know.. I really, really, really (just emphasizing 'really' here :P) doubt we´ll see a Fallout game on the Wii U, but that´s one of the games where I think the U pad would be pretty cool, since it´d act as your Pip Boy (don´t know if you ever played Fallout).

But Bethesda is really one of the Western devs where I don´t see them releasing their games on a Nintendo system...at least not Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Yeah, I don't see it either. Bethesda already has their hands full developing for PC, 360, and PC considering how much time and resources their games take. Rockstar, too. I can imagine some sort of extremely late Wii U port of Skyrim developed externally, like what happened with Oblivion on PS3, but that's still a long shot.

On the other hand, I can imagine some mid-sized Western publishers scurrying over to Wii U, filling up the game release void.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
F0X said:
JGarret said:
F0X said:
JGarret said:
Troll Whisperer is right.

First, Western studios in general don´t give a shit about dedicated gaming handhelds.

Second, Western studios in general don´t like Nintendo, I know it, Rol knows it, you know it.

Ubisoft seems to be one of the only few exceptions.

Considering how much money Ubisoft made off of DS and Wii games, it's hardly surprising. As for other Western publishers, the only other strong supporter I see is Warner Bros., probably because of successes like Drawn to Life, Scribblenauts, and the LEGO games on Nintendo platforms.

You know.. I really, really, really (just emphasizing 'really' here :P) doubt we´ll see a Fallout game on the Wii U, but that´s one of the games where I think the U pad would be pretty cool, since it´d act as your Pip Boy (don´t know if you ever played Fallout).

But Bethesda is really one of the Western devs where I don´t see them releasing their games on a Nintendo system...at least not Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

Yeah, I don't see it either. Bethesda already has their hands full developing for PC, 360, and PC considering how much time and resources their games take. Rockstar, too. I can imagine some sort of extremely late Wii U port of Skyrim developed externally, like what happened with Oblivion on PS3, but that's still a long shot.

On the other hand, I can imagine some mid-sized Western publishers scurrying over to Wii U, filling up the game release void.

I´ll be looking to Japanese devs in general for potential great 3rd party support (maybe with the exception of Kojima)..for instance, I can definitely see the Wii U also getting the sequel to Dark Souls (we know it´ll come eventually)

The sad thing is that people will use EA's tiny revenue from the 3DS and PS-Vita as reasons why "Handheld gaming is doomed" even though EA releases few games to these systems and the games they release are usually crap

JGarret said:
F0X said:
JGarret said:

I´ll be looking to Japanese devs in general for potential great 3rd party support (maybe with the exception of Kojima)..for instance, I can definitely see the Wii U also getting the sequel to Dark Souls (we know it´ll come eventually)

I don't know what could be better than a Souls game on Wii U. From Software is the king of trying strange and (sometimes) wonderful things with odd controllers and asymetric gameplay.

Oh, wait, I know the answer. Okami 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:

Dead Space Extraction for Wii was made to shut up investors who demanded that EA gives the Wii more support. EA performed formidable market research in order to know exactly how to produce a flop. The consensus among core gamers was that the Wii had already enough shooters on rails and something along the lines of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition would be great, so EA decided to make a shooter on rails. But before announcing this, they just said that the Wii is going to get its own Dead Space to get people's hopes up. Then they announced that it is going to be a guided first person experience, as if somehow gamers wouldn't see right through it.

The hype turned into anti-hype and EA was good to go, so they stated in an interview that DSE would decide over the future of EA's Wii support. Such news isn't so much for gamers as it is for investors. EA wanted that investors follow the sales performance of DSE closely. As final steps they slapped an awful cover on the box of DSE and dropped it into stores without really advertising it. The release towards the end of the month of September was probably also part of the plan, that way only one week of sales would be recorded for the first month of NPD data. DSE moved 9,000 units in its launch week in the USA and EA had accomplished their goal. Now not supporting the Wii could be easily justified to investors.

That's horrible if true, and you certainly make a compelling case. Even more terrible since I've heard nothing but good things about Extraction.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
RolStoppable said:

Dead Space Extraction for Wii was made to shut up investors who demanded that EA gives the Wii more support. EA performed formidable market research in order to know exactly how to produce a flop. The consensus among core gamers was that the Wii had already enough shooters on rails and something along the lines of Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition would be great, so EA decided to make a shooter on rails. But before announcing this, they just said that the Wii is going to get its own Dead Space to get people's hopes up. Then they announced that it is going to be a guided first person experience, as if somehow gamers wouldn't see right through it.

The hype turned into anti-hype and EA was good to go, so they stated in an interview that DSE would decide over the future of EA's Wii support. Such news isn't so much for gamers as it is for investors. EA wanted that investors follow the sales performance of DSE closely. As final steps they slapped an awful cover on the box of DSE and dropped it into stores without really advertising it. The release towards the end of the month of September was probably also part of the plan, that way only one week of sales would be recorded for the first month of NPD data. DSE moved 9,000 units in its launch week in the USA and EA had accomplished their goal. Now not supporting the Wii could be easily justified to investors.

That's horrible if true, and you certainly make a compelling case. Even more terrible since I've heard nothing but good things about Extraction.

And then they up-ported the game to Xbox360/PS3 and bundled it free with DS2. Whereas, DSE was full retail on the Wii.

There was a lot of WTF going on with that title alone.

What Rol said about DSE is not really far off from the possibility and I said way back that this could've happened to NFS:Hot Pursuit 2 on all 3 last gen console, I was just beginning to try to understand/dwelve in how bussiness in the gaming industry work outside of Nintendo (I was hard-ass Nintendo fanboy back then trying to break out that mentality)...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Galaki said:
the_dengle said:
RolStoppable said:

And then they up-ported the game to Xbox360/PS3 and bundled it free with DS2. Whereas, DSE was full retail on the Wii.

First of all they didnt up port anything, its same game as tne one on Wii with HD, and it never came out for 360 so im not sure where your getting that from.  It was on PS3 as a way to promote Move and have an exclusive incentive on PS3, no different than what MS and Sony have been doing for years now. Its not free, you still have to buy the game and if you dont want DS3, its still 15 bucks on PSN. Yes it was released full retail, but what was EA supposed to do?? Release the game full price on PS3 a year plus later with NO new features? Can you name me a port that has ever gone that route?

On a side note, i get some people were pissed, but its not EA's fault you got your hopes up for DSE despite them giving very little info when it was announced 

oniyide said:
Galaki said:
the_dengle said:
RolStoppable said:

First of all they didnt up port anything, its same game as tne one on Wii with HD, and it never came out for 360 so im not sure where your getting that from.  It was on PS3 as a way to promote Move and have an exclusive incentive on PS3, no different than what MS and Sony have been doing for years now. Its not free, you still have to buy the game and if you dont want DS3, its still 15 bucks on PSN. Yes it was released full retail, but what was EA supposed to do?? Release the game full price on PS3 a year plus later with NO new features? Can you name me a port that has ever gone that route?

On a side note, i get some people were pissed, but its not EA's fault you got your hopes up for DSE despite them giving very little info when it was announced 

What is your definition of a port? I don't exactly follow EA news, so, I don't know that Xbox version didn't exist.

My point still stand that it was free for the PS3 version. I am not pissed at EA at all. My wallet completely ignore them since a long time ago.

oniyide said:

Release the game full price on PS3 a year plus later with NO new features? Can you name me a port that has ever gone that route?

Sounds horrible, which means you can count on one thing: Capcom has probably done it.