By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Where Todd Akin went wrong...

Tagged games:

theprof00 said:
badgenome said:
theprof00 said:

1. ? Seriously? You quoted my post. Said "no" and then called it kneejerk idiocy. That was a kneejerk reaction to my post was it not? Kasz said it was two different arguments saying fetus rights vs mother rights, when my first post wasn't addressing that. I didn't feel his reply sufficiently addressed what I was saying, so I said "from my point of view, it's one argument with a couple facets".

2. Yes, it IS arbitrary, because nothing in science agrees with that assessment, and neither does anything in the Bible. It is a position taken specifically because it avoids talk of abortion altogether It circumvents the science. Then you say 'it's more philosophical' after countering by saying it's more scientific?

3. Yes sorry, semantics. fetus not egg.

4. Yes, I know it's pro-life, but more importantly, it's pro-sanity. It is a good middle ground, a compromise, where each can have rights. I don't believe that a mother should simply terminate at any point, but three months seems a lengthy amount of time to make that decision, and I even provide that the woman's rights still come first afterwards. If the fetus endangers her life or well being, she can terminate at any time.

1. No, I didn't. I said that basically every discussion about abortion boils down to people talking past each other and spewing talking points, and that's kind of sad because philosophically it's a very fascinating subject. I didn't accuse you of doing it. At worst, you're only guilty of not understanding what the terms pro-life and pro-choice mean.

2. That isn't arbitrary at all. Biology holds that from the moment of conception, a new life begins. It's merely at a low level of development. The only reason I can imagine anyone even arguing against this is for political reasons, and it isn't from the pro-life side. And that is anti-science.

It may be an arbitrary point at which to bestow personhood, though.

4. Right, but there's a spectrum of beliefs on the pro-life side, from no abortion period to abortion only in the case of rape to no abortion after a certain stage of development. There really isn't much of one on the pro-choice side, except for when it comes to late term abortion. As per Richard's thread, pro-life doesn't really mean pro-life, full stop. It's shorthand for supporting restrictions on elective abortion. Likewise, pro-choice means being in favor of no restrictions on elective abortion. So most people are somewhere in between the two extremes, but those positions are all variations of pro-life, which is why polls always show that the pro-life side has been gaining ground since the '70s.

1Apologies, I was assuming that since you said that within your response to me, and was kind of vague that you were talking about me. Sorry.

2 A living organism requires homeostasis, a fetus or embryo is not capable of that. "Life begins" is possibly simply an easier way of saying the process of creating life has begun. All organic life is defined by this element of homeostasis, and embryo's/fetus's are incapable. (as an aside to our "egg" discussion earlier, it is also against church rules to donate eggs, also birthcontrol via egg-regulation, and egg extraction.)

3I think we are arguing semantics at this point. Thank you for acknowledging the terminology of "personhood" though.

4Hmmm, perhaps, but this guy above isn't pro-life is he? He's anti-abortion. So there are 3 sides here, anti abortion, pro-life, and pro-choice, right?

Oh actually, I'm "pro-life," I was just using the term anti-abortion because the phrase pro-life implies everyone who isn't pro-life is pro-death.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network
badgenome said:
theprof00 said:

Except who's to say those are certain productive citizens? Perhaps having kids with no dad, or in extreme poverty, will lead to a very difficult life where bad choices become easy to make, or force the family to become a burden on the society.

The pro-life says "you shouldn't kill your kids and you shouldn't be a leech on society". In my point of view, you agreeing with this makes me think that you're one of those people who believes things like "people don't succeed because they don't try hard enough".

Which just sounds like what Bill Bennett said when he said that aborting every black baby - while genocidal and morally reprehensible - would lower crime.

But yeah, I do believe that people often don't succeed because they don't try hard enough. Or they do try but they apply their efforts in the wrong direction. There are principles of success, and most people aren't successful or not because of sheer bad luck. You might have the bad luck to be born into an unproductive culture, though, and you aren't likely to identify the flaws in the behavior and break out of that. Poor education doesn't really equip people to be cultural critics, after all. The question is whether government welfare programs help or hurt, and I don't really think they help. The war on poverty has been as big a failure as the war on drugs because it doesn't improve the cultures in bad areas, it only incentivizes and enables more of the same self-destructive behavior. You could dump trillions of dollars on Appalachia, and nothing would really change.

1Except I'm not saying that. I'm saying a person should be able to logically and responsibly be able to determine that their own delivery could be catastrophic. A mother knows her capabilities and her own shortcomings, so she should be able to make that decision. This has nothing to do with race, it's about whether a mother believes that she has the ability to raise a child productively of her own accord.

2And see that's where I disagree wholeheartedly, because it implies that people who are successful tried harder or had the right principles. I worked very very hard to get where I am, and it's insulting and downcasting to think that people who have gotten further, worked harder. It also ignores factors like wealth, physiology, psychology, and opportunity, and as you said, luck. I'm sorry badger, but hard work does not solve all problems. Sure many problems would be solved if people worked harder, but this I feel is one of the reasons I am a liberal, because I've paid my way through catholic high school when my mom wanted to send me to public, and I got a full ride to a prestigious college. I pay an exorbitant amount of money on taxes and necessities and fees that I live paycheck to paycheck, while now, I'm concurrently teaching myself php, html, javascript, korean, and japanese, AND attempting to get an advanced degree while working part time after being laid off and writing business proposals for incubator/accelerators. Meanwhile, people like Paul Ryan want no taxes on capital gains? Excuse me for being obscenely rude, but 'fuck that party'. I am the future job creator. Why do I have to work 15 times harder?

Excuse me for that off-topic rant, but I feel your stance on "responsibility" is one of the core reasons for disagreement on this issue.

EDIT: put a 1 and 2 for clarity

theprof00 said:

1Apologies, I was assuming that since you said that within your response to me, and was kind of vague that you were talking about me. Sorry.

2 A living organism requires homeostasis, a fetus or embryo is not capable of that. "Life begins" is possibly simply an easier way of saying the process of creating life has begun. All organic life is defined by this element of homeostasis, and embryo's/fetus's are incapable. (as an aside to our "egg" discussion earlier, it is also against church rules to donate eggs, also birthcontrol via egg-regulation, and egg extraction.)

3I think we are arguing semantics at this point. Thank you for acknowledging the terminology of "personhood" though.

4Hmmm, perhaps, but this guy above isn't pro-life is he? He's anti-abortion. So there are 3 sides here, anti abortion, pro-life, and pro-choice, right?

1. Yeah, sorry. I just mean in general that the conversation is always so unproductive, but philosophically the conversation about when life becomes a person is profound and very interesting. It just doesn't get to happen often because everyone is trying to make political points, and they are afraid of being forced to accept things intellectually that may undermine their previously staked out political position.

2. That's kind of a blanket statement because certainly once it is viable, the fetus is capable of homeostasis. Even prior to becoming viable, it has a kind of homeostasis within its environment. It just isn't capable of surviving independently yet. But I wouldn't say it is any less an organism than a person in an iron lung ceases to be an organism.

4. I'd say all anti-abortionists would fall under the pro-life umberlla, but not all pro-lifers are anti-abortionists. The dividing line is elective abortions.

Sorry appolose, i meant the op the guy who threatens murder with murder.
My original posts had been in the context of thar, and i feel like it was becoming a bit of a semantical argument. I am pro compromise where each should have rights. No abortion after say 3 months unless in the case that theinjury is likely.

theprof00 said:

1Except I'm not saying that. I'm saying a person should be able to logically and responsibly be able to determine that their own delivery could be catastrophic. A mother knows her capabilities and her own shortcomings, so she should be able to make that decision. This has nothing to do with race, it's about whether a mother believes that she has the ability to raise a child productively of her own accord.

2And see that's where I disagree wholeheartedly, because it implies that people who are successful tried harder or had the right principles. I worked very very hard to get where I am, and it's insulting and downcasting to think that people who have gotten further, worked harder. It also ignores factors like wealth, physiology, psychology, and opportunity, and as you said, luck. I'm sorry badger, but hard work does not solve all problems. Sure many problems would be solved if people worked harder, but this I feel is one of the reasons I am a liberal, because I've paid my way through catholic high school when my mom wanted to send me to public, and I got a full ride to a prestigious college. I pay an exorbitant amount of money on taxes and necessities and fees that I live paycheck to paycheck, while now, I'm concurrently teaching myself php, html, javascript, korean, and japanese, AND attempting to get an advanced degree while working part time after being laid off and writing business proposals for incubator/accelerators. Meanwhile, people like Paul Ryan want no taxes on capital gains? Excuse me for being obscenely rude, but 'fuck that party'. I am the future job creator. Why do I have to work 15 times harder?

Excuse me for that off-topic rant, but I feel your stance on "responsibility" is one of the core reasons for disagreement on this issue.

EDIT: put a 1 and 2 for clarity

Well, now I'm confused. Do you believe in elective abortions or not? Do you believe in an exception for economic hardship in addition to medical hardship?

I didn't say that hard work solved all problems. In fact, I specifically said that if you work very hard in the wrong direction, you won't get anywhere. I do think that attempts to address poverty with government welfarism have only exacerbated the situation. Some people are born with advantages, and some are born with extreme disadvantages. That's obvious and inevitable. But it seems hopelessly naïve to believe that the government is capable of rightly deciding who has too much and who has too little and enacting "social justice" when it has so much difficulty enforcing regular old justice. That assumes that they even sincerely are motivated by a desire to do the right in the first place when most politicians are themselves just pigs feeding at the trough. We are stuck in a pattern of empowering the government to keep teh won percentz in line, and then when the rich buy the government, we just further empower the government that they've already bought. That is insanity.

And hey, for my part, I'd at least reduce your tax burden.

Around the Network

Nono
Let me clarify.
The default i believe should be full womens rights. Reasoning includes crime black market abortion mental anguish, etc. Its like drugs. Illegal marijuana gives power tothe black market for example. I dont like weed, but i understand the associative reasons pro and con.
At the basic though, its federal, and i wont argue for either. But i believe that at minimum women should have at least three months to decide purely for their own reasons.

But yes, perhaps welfare etc type programs havegone too far, but i owe a lot to social programs. Inner cityyouth programs, library access with internet in early90s, summer jobs provided by government, allowance to be on my parents medical for as long as i was, scholarship programs, extracurricular programs, etc etc.

theprof00 said:

But yes, perhaps welfare etc type programs havegone too far, but i owe a lot to social programs. Inner cityyouth programs, library access with internet in early90s, summer jobs provided by government, allowance to be on my parents medical for as long as i was, scholarship programs, extracurricular programs, etc etc.

It's not that I think that no good can come of any government program. They can do some good, of course, but I do think that they are generally not cost effective. More importantly, the overall practice of allowing the government to address anything it identifies as an ill with money taken from the citizenry leads to (as Madison predicted) the end of the concept of a government of enumerated powers and (as predicted by de Tocqueville) the eventual death of the republic when Congress figures out it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

Just like with abortion, these discussions tend to run off the rails very quickly into a shoutfest pitting stereotypical welfare queens against stereotypical Nazi Objectivist social Darwinists. That kind of stuff generates a lot more heat than light, and it doesn't really do anything to further a discussion of the pros and cons of different ways the government can address poverty (or even if it should). But I'm far from convinced that reforming or even dismantling such programs is ever as ruinous as predicted. About 20 years ago when Canada could no longer sustain its spendthrift ways and had to undertake a program of austerity, all the usual suspects were prophesying a doom that never materialized. And nobody has written more about the ruinous effects of welfare, particularly on the black community, than Daniel Patrick Moynihan. He was a famously serious and sober guy, and I doubt there is a single modern politician more venerated on both the right and left as a teller of hard truths than he. Yet, when Clinton signed welfare reform into law, he voted against it and predicted nothing short of the end of the world and cannibalism in the streets. Nothing of the sort happened, of course, and it's all very laughable in retrospect. It's as good an illustration as I've ever seen of how even a smart man who knew a lot about the subject was still ultimately paralyzed by fear about what would happen if the government actually made a fairly modest change to a welfare program.

Ill try to reply when i get home. Stuck at a wedding right nao

theprof00 said:
Sorry appolose, i meant the op the guy who threatens murder with murder.
My original posts had been in the context of thar, and i feel like it was becoming a bit of a semantical argument. I am pro compromise where each should have rights. No abortion after say 3 months unless in the case that theinjury is likely.

Oh, I see.  No problem.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

This guy is taking it way to far IMO by discussing using "deadly force" on a pregnant mother. I do however will admit that I side much more on the "pro-life" movement if you will. But its frustrating that people like me tend to get demagogued on the issue and de-legitimized. It however does not help at all when someone like Todd akin makes such an idiotic and completely ignorant statement regarding rape victims.

There are two main arguments. One says that abortion is a woman's choice because it is regarding the health of her body. One says its not a matter of choice when it involves another human life. I tend to see those in favor of abortion talk about the life in the mother as just a fetus, or a clump of cells that should not be regarded as a human being until they are born. Its true that fetus is the technical term for it, but I find its misused to try to un-humanize the life inside the mother. It is many times used to try to further the argument that the "fetus" is just part of the mother so therefore its their choice to put an end to it if they want.

The debate comes down to what the person considers to be human life and also a little bit of what value they place on human life in general. I think when those in favor of abortion hear the argument against it from me all they hear is that I want to take the choice of a woman's health preferences away. They dont fully grasp my value system in that I consider the "fetus" in development process inside the womb to be fully a human being and at the same level of importance as a living, breathing innocent and decent human adult. it dosnt make sense to those who consider all abortions acceptable. Most of them value it as just a "fetus" or clump of developing cells with no value until it develops enough to be born from the mothers womb whereas i consider the fetus to be fully human and entitled to the right to life given its formation as a human being in development.

I think it comes down to ones value system. One considers the life of the unborn more important than the mothers choice. One considers a mothers choice to be able to terminate the life more important than the right to life of the unborn.

So do i consider myself an "extremist" on the issue? Of course not because my personal value system tells me so. Some people like to put me in a box as not caring for a woman's right to health choices. I simply see this matter completely differently given the involvement of another human life. Of course i am for a woman doing whatever she desires with her body. I only have concern when it is regarding the life of an unborn human being. Now in cases of when the life of the mother is at risk of course i would say do whatever is necessary to try to save both lives. I would err on saving the life of my wife however if given the absolute choice.

It mainly comes down to ones values and understanding how the other side interprets the issue of abortion. There is certainly I think a lot of mischaracterization on both sides of the argument and it will never get close to some kind of resolution until each side understands eachothers values and can translate that into some kind of common ground. Im however not expecting that to transpire anytime in the near future as long as the mischaracterization and misunderstanding exists.