By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Where Todd Akin went wrong...

Tagged games:

theprof00 said:
death penalty for aborters!

Well it does make sense from the pro life stance.   Not shooting pregnant women though.

The largest issue in the abortion debate is that neither side is even having the same arguement.  It's really a two part arugement.

You don't see many pro choice advocates with a clear cut definition of when they think human life begins.

(I'd say when the brain develops brain waives myself.)

Then once a pretty solid consensus on when human life begins is established, there needs to be the woman's choice arguement.  At that point that it is human, does it make sense for a woman to be forced to keep the child?  Afterall, we are still talking about forcing someone to take care of another person against their will.

Is there a point where it's probably a person but it's still, it's parasitic nature an nonviability makes it to where it can be ethically aborted?

There are a LOT of intersting arguments that never get had because people are trying to argue two completely different arguements.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

Well it does make sense from the pro life stance.   Not shooting pregnant women though.

The largest issue in the abortion debate is that neither side is even having the same arguement.  It's really a two part arugement.

You don't see many pro choice advocates with a clear cut definition of when they think human life begins.

Then once a pretty solid consensus on when human life begins is established, there needs to be the woman's choice arguement.  At that point that it is human, does it make sense for a woman to be forced to keep the child?  Afterall, we are still talking about forcing someone to take care of another person against their will.

Is there a point where it's probably a person but it's still, it's parasitic nature an nonviability makes it to where it can be ethically aborted?

There are a LOT of intersting arguments that never get had because people are trying to argue two completely different arguements.

Well, it's not really two arguments, it's just that one preempts the other. And pro-lifers are doing everything they can to prevent any and all discussion about science, because the science sides with the women's rights.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

Well, it's not really two arguments, it's just that one preempts the other. And pro-lifers are doing everything they can to prevent any and all discussion about science, because the science sides with the women's rights.

Actually as far as I can tell the science doesn't actully side with anyone... afterall, the current abortion precedent isn't set by researched science, but applied sciecne.

At the moment, abortion is legal until "A baby has a chance to survive on it's own."  Which is just a peculiar situation.   A woman shouldn't be forced to have a kid, unless it gets to the point where the kid has a chance to survive by itself?  Doesn't that sound... backwords if anything?

Additionally, if anything i'd think the "When is a fetus considered human life" the arguement that would hold the most importance.

and republicans complain about judges legislating from the bench. legislating at gun point seems a tad worse imo.

jokes aside, i have to imagine legally he'd get arrested himself days into the job. surely there is something that states police can't enforce laws that don't exist. as long as abortion is actually legal what can this guy really do except be mad about it.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

1Actually as far as I can tell the science doesn't actully side with anyone... afterall, the current abortion precedent isn't set by researched science, but applied sciecne.

At the moment, abortion is legal until "A baby has a chance to survive on it's own."  Which is just a peculiar situation.   A woman shouldn't be forced to have a kid, unless it gets to the point where the kid has a chance to survive by itself?  Doesn't that sound... backwords if anything?

2Additionally, if anything i'd think the "When is a fetus considered human life" the arguement that would hold the most importance.

I feel like you misconstrue what I say every time.

1. I wasn't talking about who the science favors currently or in the future, I said they want to avoid talking science.
2. Of course! This is why it is so important that pro-lifers nail the moment to conception because it circumvents all argument without science being involved.

Around the Network

what a stupid thing to say. I personally don't agree with abortion,but I think it's the women's choice to do what she wants.

theprof00 said:

No, it is actually two entirely different arguments. "Fetuses are humans, too!" vs. "Whatever! It's my hot body, I'll do what I want!" Neither of those really answers the concerns of the other. If you can successfully argue that fetuses are not actually human beings until a certain point, whether that is when it becomes viable or it magically becomes human when it passes through the birth canal or whatever, then that is actually addressing the pro-life concern. Just shouting about women's rights and handwaving it all away doesn't accomplish anything.

I don't know where you get the idea that pro-lifers don't want a discussion on scientific grounds, either. Sure, they have some flakes like Akin who pass along wives tales about how reproduction works, but they have plenty of reason to look at the science for rhetorical ammo, say, to try and convince people that the fetus is a genetically and psychologically distinct entity and therefore a person. Plenty of them make just that argument. Where exactly does "science side with women's rights"? This sounds like one of those lazy pseudo-arguments where, since the right is comprised of creationists who think Jesus rode a dinosaur, the left just plays the SCIENCE card without even knowing what the science says. But if you take the extreme pro-choice position, like the president has for instance, then you believe in abortion on demand no matter how far along the fetus is - right up to (and probably including) the moment of birth. (Some take it even further than that.) You don't even care about the science in that case. So it really isn't even really a scientific argument at all, but a philosophical one.

It's too bad every argument about abortion instantly devolves into kneejerk stupidity, because there really is a genuinely fascinating argument to be had about the subject.

badgenome said:
theprof00 said:

No, it is actually two entirely different arguments. "Fetuses are humans, too!" vs. "Whatever! It's my hot body, I'll do what I want!" Neither of those really answers the concerns of the other. If you can successfully argue that fetuses are not actually human beings until a certain point, whether that is when it becomes viable or it magically becomes human when it passes through the birth canal or whatever, then that is actually addressing the pro-life concern. Just shouting about women's rights and handwaving it all away doesn't accomplish anything.

I don't know where you get the idea that pro-lifers don't want a discussion on scientific grounds, either. Sure, they have some flakes like Akin who pass along wives tales about how reproduction works, but they have plenty of reason to look at the science for rhetorical ammo, say, to try and convince people that the fetus is a genetically and psychologically distinct entity and therefore a person. Plenty of them make just that argument. Where exactly does "science side with women's rights"? This sounds like one of those lazy pseudo-arguments where, since the right is comprised of creationists who think Jesus rode a dinosaur, the left just plays the SCIENCE card without even knowing what the science says. But if you take the extreme pro-choice position, like the president has for instance, then you believe in abortion on demand no matter how far along the fetus is - right up to (and probably including) the moment of birth. (Some take it even further than that.) You don't even care about the science in that case. So it really isn't even really a scientific argument at all, but a philosophical one.

It's too bad every argument about abortion instantly devolves into kneejerk stupidity, because there really is a genuinely fascinating argument to be had about the subject.

I feel like yours is the kneejerk.

The idea that they are avoiding the science is evidenced by the decision 'to arbitrarily decide when life begins when it isn't written out specifically in the Bible'.

It's not two arguments from where I'm standing. It is an argument over who has rights. Myself, I believe that BOTH have rights. But how can that be? They have overlapping rights! Who is MORE right. Well, the mother always has rights by the idea that life confers rights. So the question within the argument of "who has rights" is "do both fetus and mother have rights concurrently". I would again, say no, because an egg to me is not life. There are plenty of instances within those 9 months, according to some studies up to 30% rate of miscarriage with an average of 15% in meta, in the first 12 weeks.

So, giving the fetus full rights despite a 15 to 30% chance to miscarry anyway, seems faulty. I would argue that these first 12 weeks at the very least, the fetus has no rights. Afterwards it does, until the point where a woman's life is under threat of death, then the woman's rights supercede once again.

As per my reasoning, I draw upon the ideas of both military and medical, that the provider must ensure their own ability to function before all else. If the mother believes that delivering would substantially destroy the family, then she has the right to abort. A medic's job is to protect and save the wounded, but if they cannot guarantee the safety of both, they are generally not allowed to attempt action. Unless that person wants to risk their own life and be called "a hero under fire", they should hold back. In the same vein, women who decide to deliver despite all odds is also a hero, and should not be the standard, in my opinion.

Furthermore, I say they shy away from the science because science would say "heartbeat" or "live on it's own" or "brainwave" or something similar. HOWEVER, all of those things occur after conception, and would therefore prvide for abortion up to a point. The pro-lifers cannot allow ANY abortion, and so decide that it is specifically at conception. I would call this shying away from the science, because everything we've ever used to define life is being ignored JUST FOR THIS ONE INSTANCE. That seems odd...i mean, doesn't it?

theprof00 said:

The idea that they are avoiding the science is evidenced by the decision 'to arbitrarily decide when life begins when it isn't written out specifically in the Bible'.

It's not two arguments from where I'm standing. It is an argument over who has rights. Myself, I believe that BOTH have rights. But how can that be? They have overlapping rights! Who is MORE right. Well, the mother always has rights by the idea that life confers rights. So the question within the argument of "who has rights" is "do both fetus and mother have rights concurrently". I would again, say no, because an egg to me is not life.

But isn't that the argument?  Many anti-abortionists think the egg is living, so that wouldn't really be an overlapping of the two arguments.

There are plenty of instances within those 9 months, according to some studies up to 30% rate of miscarriage with an average of 15% in meta, in the first 12 weeks.

So, giving the fetus full rights despite a 15 to 30% chance to miscarry anyway, seems faulty. I would argue that these first 12 weeks at the very least, the fetus has no rights. Afterwards it does, until the point where a woman's life is under threat of death, then the woman's rights supercede once again.

As per my reasoning, I draw upon the ideas of both military and medical, that the provider must ensure their own ability to function before all else. If the mother believes that delivering would substantially destroy the family, then she has the right to abort. A medic's job is to protect and save the wounded, but if they cannot guarantee the safety of both, they are generally not allowed to attempt action. Unless that person wants to risk their own life and be called "a hero under fire", they should hold back. In the same vein, women who decide to deliver despite all odds is also a hero, and should not be the standard, in my opinion.

Furthermore, I say they shy away from the science because science would say "heartbeat" or "live on it's own" or "brainwave" or something similar. HOWEVER, all of those things occur after conception, and would therefore prvide for abortion up to a point. The pro-lifers cannot allow ANY abortion, and so decide that it is specifically at conception. I would call this shying away from the science, because everything we've ever used to define life is being ignored JUST FOR THIS ONE INSTANCE. That seems odd...i mean, doesn't it?

Why would science conclude that?  I understand how one might argue that it is normal that we define life with these things all the other times, but that's not really a scientifically derived assessment.  Science can determine when any of these things happens, of course, but how does it get around to saying anything about them?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

theprof00 said:

And in feeling that way, you show just how reflexive you are. I never stated my opinion on abortion. I'm not even sure what my position is, to be honest. But basically, it seems abhorrent to me and yet, even though it is not logical to say that the circumstances of a person coming to be should determine how they are to be treated, I can't get on board with forcing a woman to bear her rapist's child. I'm also not sure exactly when a fetus can be considered a person. Abortion may be one of those things that is (sometimes, at least) unethical but should not be illegal because of the problematic nature of enforcing a law prhobiting it.

theprof00 said:

No, it doesn't. For one thing, there's nothing arbitrary about saying that life begins at the moment of conception. That's an extreme position politically, but of all the positions, it's probably the most logically consistent. I don't even understand what you're getting at here. It's also the most scientifically correct. The question is, is it a person? This is why it is more a philosophical question than a scientific one.

theprof00 said:

It's not two arguments from where I'm standing. It is an argument over who has rights. Myself, I believe that BOTH have rights. But how can that be? They have overlapping rights! Who is MORE right. Well, the mother always has rights by the idea that life confers rights. So the question within the argument of "who has rights" is "do both fetus and mother have rights concurrently". I would again, say no, because an egg to me is not life. There are plenty of instances within those 9 months, according to some studies up to 30% rate of miscarriage with an average of 15% in meta, in the first 12 weeks.

We're not talking about an egg, we're talking about a fetus. Unless you mean like a bird egg. In which case, of course an egg is not life. But what is inside the egg is alive.

On that note, it is a bit fucked up to me that the penalty for scrambling a bald eagle egg (up to $250k and 2 years in prison) is less than the penalty for scrambling an unborn infant's brains (no penalty, because that's a woman's prerogative).

theprof00 said:

You do know that your stance is a pro-life position, right? Because you just ruled out elective abortion altogether after the first 12 weeks. While there is some disagreement on the pro-life side of the issue about whether abortion should ever be legal, your position completely flies in the face of the pro-choice position that abortion is ethical and should therefore be legal under any circumstances (although some pro-choicers get squishy on this once the fetus is viable).