By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - sooo... the US has now invented education?

According to an "history of the economy" book I had to study some time ago, in the industrial age, the first country who had succesfully educated the vast majority of population, was Norway.

Edit:

This is from wiki: "In 1736 training in reading was made compulsory for all children, but was not effective until some years later. In 1827, Norway introduced the folkeskole, a primary school which became mandatory for 7 years[...]"

Around the Network

i think german school system with education for almost every child is from the 18th century, before that there was education but only for people in cities or rich or whatever.

no clue how it was in other countries but i would say in germany, we have a decent school system since 17xx which obviously got some changes since then.

1763 started the compulsory education here.

'Fraid you guys are wrong. The US system is modeled on the Prussian education system, which introduced compulsory schooling before the US did, had final exams before the US did and required state qualifications (dip ed) for teachers before the US did.

ithis said:
Chris Hu said:
ithis said:
Kasz216 said:

A) Not... really related to a single thing in my post.

B) The biggest US hanidcap is Summer break.

C) The average Belgium/Netherlands person speaks 2 or 3 languages, becuase they pretty much have to by default due to being so close to so many foreign speaking countries, and the fact that belgium has like 3 official languages if i recall correctly.  That and it's way easier to learn languages if you have to when your younger and you have a lot of people speaking said language around.

Additionally, there really is a less pressing need for Americans to learn a second language, because English happens to be the most important language in the world.  It's the international language of buisness, and as I believe the leading taught second language in the world.

Why is that? Others have Summer break too.

But not for twelve weeks

Wikipedia to the rescue. Summer vacation lasts from 2 to 3 months with few exceptions in Europe, just like in the US.

I can tell you from personal experience. Summer vacation has nothing to do with it. In Romania we have 3 months now and it was 3 months 20 years ago. The percentage of kids that know stuff that comes out of High Schools today is much smaller than it was then. YAY for western style education.

Actually, if you look at the research.  In the US....

the knowledge gap between students... increases during the Summer.

In most places the biggest problem with the American School System isn't the Amercian School System.

It's American parents not being active in their kids lives, forcing them to join clubs, do reading lists and go to muesuems.

It's crazy how much a little attention can bring  a child.

As an extreme personal example... before I entered Kintergarden (pre first grade).   I could read,  use addition, Subtraction AND multiplication.

This was because my parents would read to me, I used to play videogames before I ever stepped foot in a school, and my parents went through math with me further then that.

The points in videogames going up nd down being important back then, so i'd see addition and points, and sometimes subtraction and even multiplaction trhough bonuses... so of course i'd ask about it and be taught it.

I could never quite grasp division until later on though.

ithis said:
Chris Hu said:
ithis said:
Kasz216 said:

C) The average Belgium/Netherlands person speaks 2 or 3 languages, becuase they pretty much have to by default due to being so close to so many foreign speaking countries, and the fact that belgium has like 3 official languages if i recall correctly.  That and it's way easier to learn languages if you have to when your younger and you have a lot of people speaking said language around.

Additionally, there really is a less pressing need for Americans to learn a second language, because English happens to be the most important language in the world.  It's the international language of buisness, and as I believe the leading taught second language in the world.

Why is that? Others have Summer break too.

But not for twelve weeks

Wikipedia to the rescue. Summer vacation lasts from 2 to 3 months with few exceptions in Europe, just like in the US.

I can tell you from personal experience. Summer vacation has nothing to do with it. In Romania we have 3 months now and it was 3 months 20 years ago. The percentage of kids that know stuff that comes out of High Schools today is much smaller than it was then. YAY for western style education.

Well I went to school in Germany from Kindergarden to 8th grade and summer vaction only lasted six weeks there.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
gamelover2000 said:
Kasz216 said:

Actually... I think the US did invent widespread schools and the school system as we know it today.

Don't quote me on it though, because honestly I don't care enough to check.

Of course, schools in an invidividual sense have been around since greek philosphers and before.

However that a country should try and educate the majority of it's people... I think that such a thing may have been implemented by the US first.

The United States has never been known for it's excellent education, US education peaked in the 80's and 90's and has been in decline ever since. A ton of European countries have scored better at education throughout the world (if you need sources a simple Google search will do). Especially Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands far outscore Britain, France, US and other larger countries.

The average person in Belgium/Netherlands speaks 2 or 3 languages, just to give you an idea of the advantages they have over us.

In backing with your point C, during my recent trip to Florida, I noticed that a significant number of Floridians were able to speak both English and Spanish, and not just those of Hispanic decent. Hell, I was in a bloody Burger King, and the cashiers there could speak both languages (they were African American).

SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
gamelover2000 said:
Kasz216 said:

Actually... I think the US did invent widespread schools and the school system as we know it today.

Don't quote me on it though, because honestly I don't care enough to check.

Of course, schools in an invidividual sense have been around since greek philosphers and before.

However that a country should try and educate the majority of it's people... I think that such a thing may have been implemented by the US first.

The United States has never been known for it's excellent education, US education peaked in the 80's and 90's and has been in decline ever since. A ton of European countries have scored better at education throughout the world (if you need sources a simple Google search will do). Especially Scandinavia, Germany and the Netherlands far outscore Britain, France, US and other larger countries.

The average person in Belgium/Netherlands speaks 2 or 3 languages, just to give you an idea of the advantages they have over us.

In backing with your point C, during my recent trip to Florida, I noticed that a significant number of Floridians were able to speak both English and Spanish, and not just those of Hispanic decent. Hell, I was in a bloody Burger King, and the cashiers there could speak both languages (they were African American).

Yeah, that's pretty common in certain parts of the US.

My boss is Iraqi and he speaks Arabic, English, Spanish etc.  

It's actually kinda hard to get certain jobs out in certain states if you DON'T speak spanish... Nursing being the biggest one.

In general child development shows that if you have kids, the best thing you can do is teach them a second language at a REALLY young age, because you are more receptive to language then.  So motivation of the parent and schools to teach your kids a second language is really quite an big step to get that far.

Which in lies English speaking countries main weakness to being bilinugal.  Nevermind countries like Belgium or provinces where Quebec where it's usefull just to talk to half the people in your country. 

Every other country knows that if their kid makes it into the top 10% or so of their society, speaking English is a HUGE advantage.

While in the US, nobody really knows.

Spanish is the most popularly taught because of all the illegal aliens.

French is taught the second most I think?  I know it was usually the second option i'd seen.  It's mostly just taught due to culutural implications about France, French being a pretty garbage lanagauge utility wise.

Big pushes for Chinese and Arabic lately.... but depends on your field in which woud be more important.   

Then outside that, it's just immigrants kids learning their homelands langauge from their relatives because they speak it all the time... or people trying to learn their place of origins language, people learning Japanese...

it's really just spread out to hell.

Don't know about other countries but it seems to me that discipline is somewhat lax in American schools. We spend all this money on computers and fancy campuses but the kids don't learn as much as they should because they're always talking in class. Is this just me or did it really bother you in school when other kids talked while the teacher was talking or you were supposed to be working?

Education should be voluntary. Countries enforcing compulsory school attendance of children aged between 5 to 17 is against personal freedom and choice. Children are more likely to learn more if they want to learn instead of being forced to learn.

It was one of Thomas Jefferson's ideas that if were are going to let people vote - they need an education. It's one of the responsibilities of a free society.

It's easier to keep people down if they don't know any better.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!