By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What's going on with my computer? (graphics card not being used?)

Hey there,

I also had this issue when I first received my Vaio laptop (which had both an intel card and a 6630M Radeon one).

This is what you need to do:

1) Open up Catalyst Control

2) Open up "Power Display" (the tab under "Gaming")

3) go to "Commutable graphic method"

4) there should be two options : the one you want is to select the graphic processor manually (basically the

second one)

the screen should look like that :

---->

Upon activation of the second option, your computer screen will flicker which means that it will switch to the radeon graphic card.

Give it a try!

PS: I apologise for the use of french on the screen I took, but my computer is set up in french :p

Around the Network
thranx said:
Gilgamesh said:
thranx said:
try using a different program to see if your card is recognized. systemrequirements.com isn
't allways accurate. I use everest free edition. it works really well and gives a variety of reports. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4864-everest-free-edition.html

Not really sure what to do, I found it with the program but when I right click it all I can do is copy it? But when I go to summary or display it's not therer?

On the left side click on computer

than on summary in the drop down menu uder it

under display it should list your video card.

if its not listed than you do have a problem of some kind. i dont think it would be a driver issue. maybe a problem with the slot it is in or with the vid card itself

It sounds like that is what you have done and the card wasn't listed. can you try the card in another lap top or another card in your lap top so you can see if its the graphics card or the slot it is in that is the problem.

Ok if I go to where you explained it's not there I just get Intel HD Family (it comes up twice). But if I go to Devices, then windows devices then display adapters I get "Intel HD Family" and "Radeon HD6470". So it's picking it up there?

What the hell?

Sephira said:

Hey there,

I also had this issue when I first received my Vaio laptop (which had both an intel card and a 6630M Radeon one).

4) there should be two options : the one you want is to select the graphic processor manually (basically the

second one)

---->

Upon activation of the second option, your computer screen will flicker which means that it will switch to the radeon graphic card.

Give it a try!

PS: I apologise for the use of french on the screen I took, but my computer is set up in french :p

I can't find Power display anywhere, the only thing that's list under Gaming is 3D application setting. I can't find anything thats similar to the image you posted...is my Catalyst control different? I'm pretty sure it's most up to date version.

Sounds like one of your recent driver updates was for the desktop driver, and not the laptop driver. In cases like yours it is important to only install updated drivers from the laptop manufacturer, not from windows update or the amd website. Try uninstalling all your radeon drivers and reinstalling drivers from the manufacturers website and see it you see the same screens that Sephira sees.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

Gilgamesh said:
Sephira said:

Hey there,

second one)

---->

Give it a try!

I can't find Power display anywhere, the only thing that's list under Gaming is 3D application setting. I can't find anything thats similar to the image you posted...is my Catalyst control different? I'm pretty sure it's most up to date version.

Could you please post a picture of your version of Catalyst control center? was it already installed on your computer (most-likely it was) or did you download it? If so, you may have downloaded the desktop version...

PS: I just noticed, were you looking at the "Gaming" tab? Because if I click on it, then yes, I also see the 3D application setting. Look at the tab BELOW "Gaming" (it looks like a battery whereas the gaming tab has a joypad) and then you should be able to refer to my screen

Around the Network
Sephira said:
Gilgamesh said:
Sephira said:

Hey there,

second one)

---->

Give it a try!

Could you please post a picture of your version of Catalyst control center? was it already installed on your computer (most-likely it was) or did you download it? If so, you may have downloaded the desktop version...

PS: I just noticed, were you looking at the "Gaming" tab? Because if I click on it, then yes, I also see the 3D application setting. Look at the tab BELOW "Gaming" (it looks like a battery whereas the gaming tab has a joypad) and then you should be able to refer to my screen

Crono141 said:
Sounds like one of your recent driver updates was for the desktop driver, and not the laptop driver. In cases like yours it is important to only install updated drivers from the laptop manufacturer, not from windows update or the amd website. Try uninstalling all your radeon drivers and reinstalling drivers from the manufacturers website and see it you see the same screens that Sephira sees.

I kind of done both. I downloaded the drivers from the AMD site, then I read up that I'd more then likely need to download from my laptops company (HP) so I did that. I'm not sure if the Catalyst control was the same before or after the downloads because before I couldn't find it then I realized where I had to go to find it after I downloaded from HP. So not sure.

What's its saying under POWER Switchable graphics

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
What's its saying under POWER Switchable graphics

I've been using this to test to see if it matters if I go to power save or high performance during games and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also again if I open my laptop up does it void the warranty?