By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A closer look at TearAway!

So let's take a look at some information/impressions on TearAway from MM for Vita. 

First off.....graphics....including dem water fx!

From the verge preview

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/18/3251231/you-can-papercraft-all-of-the-vitas-tearaway-in-the-real-world

Crowle can't seem to stop himself from popping his finger in and out of the papercraft world as we talk. Finally, I ask if I can give it a go.

It's a weird sensation, you know you're just pressing the back of a Vita, but the timing, the detailed animation makes it feel as if you're pressing through the paper of the world.

After noting my finger waggle around in the virtual world I turn to Evans and start to ask "The finger, can you..."

"Yes," he says cutting in. "You can customize the fingers. There are skin tone sliders."

"What about customization? Can you give the phantom finger a gross nail or maybe a ring or fancy nail polish?"

The team hasn't decided, but customization is a very important part of the game.

As players work through the game, they receive papercraft trophies all of which can be customized.

"In a lot of games you have the concept of trophies, in this game you get plans and blueprints," Healey said. "Every asset in the game you can print out and make."

Once crafted, the papercraft can be decorated and customized and then put back into the world with the Vita's camera.

"You can close the loop," Evans said. "You can print it out, customize it with Sharpies and then recapture that as a skin for the game."

The team is also planning to use Tearaway's AI to make certain decorations go viral inside a player's game. So imagine, Evans said, if you decorated a papercraft elk in a certain way, but later ran into a dolphin with the same decoration. He tells you he ran into the elk and liked what he saw so decided to use the same decorations on himself.

"The starting moment for this game was getting very excited about the possibility of the backtouch and pushing a finger into the world," Crowle said. "It's not just touch. It's, 'Get in there.' It's 'Get involved.'"

"It's not very interesting to push your fingers into a world made of stone or metal," he said. "So we started to build a papercraft world, it was starting to take shape."

The team started experimenting with various papercraft in the offices. One web designer got so into it he recreated an entire level of the game in paper.

"It took him a couple of days," Evans said. "He even made a Vita to scale entirely out of paper."

Healey says the rest of the team is taking the papercrafting very seriously. They try to create anything going into the game out of paper first, just to ensure it can be done.

The end result is traditional adventure game built on top of an interesting setting and story with an neat new mechanic, Smith explained.

The game, due out next year, is a multi-hour full-length adventure game.

"It's long," Evans said.

What it isn't is another take on LittleBigPlanet.

"We talked about whether we were going to throw in LittleBigPlanet-like stuff into the game," Evans said. "I'm so glad we didn't ape our own content and fall into that trap.

"Instead we mixed in this twist of the god factor and augmented reality features. We took an action adventure platformer and we Media-Moleculized it."

From Eurogamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-16-media-molecule-working-on-second-project

"We're working on a second project right now, and that's very much in an R&D phase," confirmed Media Molecule's Mark Healy.

"The focus is Tearaway, but Media Molecule is a lot more than 15 people," added co-founder Alex Evans.

"We call it in a holding pattern," he said on the unannounced project, "because the focus is on Tearaway. I'm not saying that from a press angle - our focus is on Tearaway and making it awesome. The other project is very much in an early stage and is a toy. You don't need to worry about it."

From 1UP

http://www.1up.com/previews/tearaway-offers-message-hope-gamers

Tearaway has the heart of an action-adventure -- it reminded me of The Legend of Zelda, an instinct confirmed when Crowle mentioned Nintendo's series amongst his influences. The main character, the adorable Iota, will embark on quests, interact with a variety of NPCs and, of course, explore locations completely made of paper. The game world looks, in fact, like a gargantuan living papercraft, and everything from the tiny squirrels inhabiting the peaceful meadows to the hostile cyclopic creatures who Iota has to fight are composed of folded little sheets of colored paper.

The brief demo I played at GamesCom came dotted with brilliant ideas capable of bringing the action-adventure genre to a new level, all centered around the fact that Tearaway is a game you can play with quite literally by manipulating the console or touching and feeling the content of the screen. It's something that only Vita can do.

For example, Iota can fight enemies by grabbing and throwing them away, but when the going gets tough you can help him out directly by tapping your finger against the back of the console, causing the ground to shake and bounce the monsters off -- flinging them against the screen (just push them back by tapping on the screen to avoid losing visibility). You can even literally insert your fingers into the levels for a more spectacular and violent approach.

Strangely enough, invading the game like this feels very realistic. The fingers that tear the paper ground can even be customized in size and texture -- though you won't be able to cheat by creating huge ones -- and the rear camera of the console will show the real world through the cracks. The devil is in the details, as they say.

Yes my fellow gamers...be happy, be impressed..and by all means...be hyped!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

For those who want to make the ELK that was in the trailer...now you can :)

http://tearaway.mediamolecule.com/assets/files/papercraft-elk.pdf

also here's a blog entry by MM about the game

http://www.mediamolecule.com/blog/article/announcing_our_next_game_tearaway/

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Looks very Katamari-esque. I like it!

I love this game and if I had access to a Vita I would be buying it, having never played an MS or Sony game.

This game is "core" (not a minigame/gimmick) but still suited for a handheld, which is exactly what Vita needs.

This game sounds bad ass, and getting better with every new announcement. Printing about anything in the world, wow. More games should take this approach.

Around the Network

This game looks fantastic. Definitly on my must buy list

It sure looks good, very innovative and fun.

It's the kind of game that makes the PSVita shine.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Very interesting! My only concern is having to shout, I hope that can be adjusted, because I'm not gonna shout "Iota, RUN!!!!" on the train, lol.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I guess the millions MM put into R&D is defiantly going to be worth it ;)

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Troll_Whisperer said:
Very interesting! My only concern is having to shout, I hope that can be adjusted, because I'm not gonna shout "Iota, RUN!!!!" on the train, lol.

Why not? Just imagine that you do it and someone starts to run... it would be priceless!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.