By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Darksiders 2 Inspired By The Legend Of Zelda & Should Launch This Year For Wii U

Ben Cureton, Darksiders II’s combat designer, was asked about which games inspired him and his team. Cureton revealed that The Legend of Zelda series was an inspiration for the “puzzles and stuff” within Darksiders II. When asked about when the game will come out for Wii U, Cureton said Darksiders II should be a launch window title.

Some of the mechanics feel comparable to Devil May Cry or Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. What games inspired you?

“Well, we definitely played every combat game. It doesn’t matter if it’s considered the best game of all time or the worst game of all time. We play ‘em all. Obviously, we had the Zelda inspiration with the puzzles and stuff. But for combat, we are hugeDMC and Bayonetta fans.”

Is it still coming out as a launch window title?

“Right now, I would say yes, but I’m not anybody who has anything to do with that.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/16/darksiders-2-inspired-by-the-legend-of-zelda-should-launch-this-year-for-wii-u/

"Obviously, we had the Zelda inspiration".........

Now where was everyone who was raging about it "not" getting its idea from Zelda? What now? Where you at? Don't try to say you weren't.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145767&page=3

Around the Network

The argument was that it wasn't a rip-off of Zelda, which it isn't. Everyone knows that certain aspects of the game were inspired by Zelda.

My first double post.  I may celebrate.

voty2000 said:
The argument was that it wasn't a rip-off of Zelda, which it isn't. Everyone knows that certain aspects of the game were inspired by Zelda.

It was more than inspired. When you straight up take things from another game, thats not being inspired.

lilbroex said:

It a more violent Twlight Princess

You posted the same thing in the other thread and that picture shows nothing. A horse is a quick way to get around and added more combat choices so that means nothing. The combat is completely different. The story shares very little if any similarities. The only things that are similar is the fact that it has puzzles, which is bluntly stated in the OP.

I mean the first image of him on the horse is the only one you posted that even resembled Zelda and that was simply because of the horse. I guess Red Dead Redemption ripped of Zelda as well.

It would be more accurate to say it ripped off God of War, which I disagree with. Combat is the main part of the game at it resembles God of War and not Zelda by any means.

But if it makes you happy then declare it a Zelda rip-off while I enjoy it for 30 plus hours because it's a good game and that's all that really matters

Around the Network

I'll say what I said in another thread...
Having played both games...
I can see similarities...
But to go so far as to say that one is a ripoff of the other...
I just can't do it...

Have a nice day...

lilbroex said:
voty2000 said:

It was more than inspired. When you straight up take things from another game, thats not being inspired.

lilbroex said:

It a more violent Twlight Princess

Vigil Games, who made Darksiders, is also developing a Warhammer 40K MMO since back in 2007.

The art style in Darksiders is inspired by Warhammer (among other things), not freaking Zelda.

lol @ "where are you now"?

there is a difference between ripping off ONE GAME or getting inspirations from zelda, bayonetta, dmc and many other games.

and you still post your pictures to proof it's a rip-off when i already told you that it should be normal thatwar or death, two of the apocalyptic horsemen have a horse included in the games and that they have weapons in the game and all the other stuff which is taken from something little bit older than zelda^^

just for you:

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Red Horse

The rider of the second horse is often taken to represent War[2] or mass slaughter.[4][1] His horse's color is red (πυρρός, from πῦρ, fire). In some translations, the color is specifically a "fiery" red. This color, as well as the rider's possession of a great sword, suggests blood that is to be spilled.[3] The second horseman may represent civil war as opposed to the war of conquest that the first horseman is sometimes said to bring.[3][11] Other commentators have suggested it might also represent persecution of Christians.[9

Pale or Green Horse

The fourth and final horseman is named Death. Of all the riders, he is the only one to whom the text itself explicitly gives a name. Unlike the other three, he is not described carrying a weapon or other object, instead he is followed by Hades. However, illustrations commonly depict him carrying a scythe (like the Grim Reaper), sword, or other implement.

The color of Death's horse is written as khlōros (χλωρός) in the original Koine Greek,[13] which can mean either green/greenish-yellow or pale/pallid.[14] The color is often translated as "pale", though "ashen", "pale green" and "yellowish green"[11] are other possible interpretations (the Greek word is the root of "chlorophyll" and "chlorine"). Based on uses of the word in ancient Greek medical literature, several scholars suggest that the color reflects the sickly pallor of a corpse.[3][15] In some modern artistic depictions, the horse is given a distinct green color.[16]

The verse beginning "they were given power over a fourth of the earth" is generally taken as referring to Death and Hades,[11][17] although some commentators see it as applying to all four horsemen.[1]

The Zelda series is my favorite series of all time, and I've played Darksiders. I can without a doubt, 100% tell you that it is entirely NOT a Zelda ripoff. It's... not even close. Honestly, it reminded me a lot more of God of War.

I'll probably be picking this game up for the Wii U, whenever I inevitably pick up the system.

They've said it straight form there lips. How can people still keep denying it?