By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You know what? I don't think you're hardcore at all.

Why?  Because you don't like Nintendo games or XBLA games because they look like they appeal to little kids.  "Leave the Mario games to the kiddies and the four year olds", you say.  Meanwhile, you play your Gears of Wars and your Halos and your so-called mature games and feel quite proud of yourselves.

I have a daughter that just turned 11 years old.  Yeah, I'm a terrible father.  Sue me.  That doesn't change the fact that, she has PLOWED through games like Halo Reach/Halo 3/Anniversary Gears of War 2 and 3, Saints Row 2 and 3, Resident Evil 5, Gravity Rush, Bully, etc. and can actually hold her own in games like Call of Duty Black Ops online. 

"So what, d21lewis?", you say.  "Maybe she's just good at gaming.  Girls these days are as good as boys."

"No.", I respond.  "Not at all."

You see, she's great at games that push you through them.  She's great at games that hold your hand and don't really require much skill.  Yeah, she's beaten a few games like Little Big Planet and Gravity Rush but for the most part, she's actually pretty bad.  Try as she might, she can't get very far in games like Mario Galaxy, Braid, Peggle (which blows my mind since that's like mandatory in my house), Pikmin 2 (which she LOVES), any RPG, Mario Kart, and any niumber of games that require some sort of skill curve.

So next time you're thinking of how awesome and hardcore you are after you defeated the giant enemy crab at the end of "Slaughterhouse 4:  The Wrath of Blood", just remember that you didn't do shit.  You basically held a controller while playing a game that an 11 year old girl can destroy.  Play through New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  Then, we can talk.

You pussy.

*We just got Sleeping Dogs today.  I promise you she'll see the end credits in a week or two*

Around the Network

She is probably a camper in CoD, isn't she?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

To be honest, half the time she just runs around randomly.  She'll see the enemy and run for her life, laughing and screaming.  Then, before I know it, she's got like 6 kills and 6 deaths or something.  I used to be scared to take her online with me (but she LOVES playing online) because I was worried about how some random asshole was going to curse at my little girl for making the team lose (which would mean that I have to track him down like the movie "Taken") but she is almost never at the bottom of the leaderboard.  Even I get 1 kill and 15 deaths from time to time!  What does that say about me?

You tell them D21, you tell them!!

That's pretty much the same argument I always have.

All the teens I know can be bad-ass on FPS or other game that is freakin' cake. But they can never really complete a game that takes skill and actually involves thinking about the situation vs timing and memorization.

Only thing that makes any FPS game somewhat worthy of a "core" title is the multi-player where you play humans in an infinite set of possibilities. However, even there you're still part of a team and you could be the worst player there but on the winning team.

Beat Zelda, Metroid, NSMB, Pikmin, SMG, anything from NES times.... all without walkthroughs and predrawn maps. That's core and that's a real gamer.

Around the Network

I will say this, though: If you're one of those guys that can 100% or platinum a game, THEN I will admit that you're pretty badass. For the rest of us (yeah, I'm including me) that just beats campaign mode on normal, just have a seat.

d21lewis said:
amp316 said:

To be honest, half the time she just runs around randomly.  She'll see the enemy and run for her life, laughing and screaming.  Then, before I know it, she's got like 6 kills and 6 deaths or something.  I used to be scared to take her online with me (but she LOVES playing online) because I was worried about how some random asshole was going to curse at my little girl for making the team lose (which would mean that I have to track him down like the movie "Taken") but she is almost never at the bottom of the leaderboard.  Even I get 1 kill and 15 deaths from time to time!  What does that say about me?

It says that CoD isn't a realistic shooter since you're a cop.  

You are still a cop, right?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Just let her play Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

Edit: do your daughter a service and let her play Bioshock

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

I got Just Dance 2 pre launch day and I made a thread about it on vgchartz.. I think that's pretty hardcore..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Ow btw Child Protection Services wants to know why your 11 year old is playing 16+ games.... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)