By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware on how to milk gamers' pockets: day-one DLC, online passes, microtransactions

For me it doesn't matter if downloadable content is released on day 1 or day 100, if the game is complete without it (or if the price of the game is adjusted appropriately) and the downloadable content is reasonably priced I don't have a problem with it ...

Unfortunately, most publishers do not see downloadble content in the same way I do; and for them it is mostly about getting people to pay more for the same game.

Around the Network

DLC is a good thing, it keeps the price of games at a stable level and helps with industry sustainability. It is also one of the reasons why publishers were so focused on HD titles when they can earn for instance an average of $60 per HD game and $20-30 for a Wii game in the hand after all other costs. Finally it gives them an opportunity for a second stab at release when a popular game gets a GOTY edition at say $40 with all DLC included.

Tease.

I agree with HappySquirrel. So long as dlc isn't used as an excuse to ship an incomplete game, i have no issue with it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

in biowares defense theres just saying what every publisher thinks and a business os formed to make money so there just stating the best ways to achieve a businesses goal.

This is the evil side of DLC... I hate when companies have day-one dlc, because it seems more and more common for developers to ship out incomplete games... Just look at the Street Fighter X Tekken game - the DLC characters were already on the fucking disc!

Also, FUCK online passes... What a crock of shit! I have bought significantly fewer games because of that shit... Some of us hate being nickled and dimed! You sold the game once already, you earned your money, get the fuck over it and quit being greedy!

Around the Network

Gamers have the choice not to pay the extra $10 for DLC that adds little or nothing to the game. $10 for an extra character, a new weapon and one or two hours of additional game play.
A gamer pays $50 or $60 for an incomplete game. Developers withhold content for the game by releasing them in 4 or 5 installment at $10 a pop to add $40 or $50 on top of a $50 or $60 game.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Gamers have the choice not to pay the extra $10 for DLC that adds little or nothing to the game. $10 for an extra character, a new weapon and one or two hours of additional game play.
A gamer pays $50 or $60 for an incomplete game. Developers withhold content for the game by releasing them in 4 or 5 installment at $10 a pop to add $40 or $50 on top of a $50 or $60 game.

You get a complete game. The DLC mostly never even has an effect on the game at all. For example the from Ashes DLC was just additional content, the would not be any different if you never would buy it.

I am fine with DLC. I loved the story DLCs from Mass Effect 2 and I will buy the Leviatan DLC for Mass Effect 3.

L.C.E.C. said:

--

Also, FUCK online passes... What a crock of shit! I have bought significantly fewer games because of that shit... Some of us hate being nickled and dimed! You sold the game once already, you earned your money, get the fuck over it and quit being greedy!

This. Very much this. I still haven't bought Uncharted 3 and I loved the first two games. (And I would have bought it new, maybe even pre-ordered!)

AndrewWK said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

You get a complete game. The DLC mostly never even has an effect on the game at all. For example the from Ashes DLC was just additional content, the would not be any different if you never would buy it.

So please address how you wouldn't miss out on the new characters without DLC in SF X Tekken? You'd never get to play against them or play/learn the characters... It's a big difference. Also, you'd have a significant disadvantage online as you can't use those characters... And, they were in FACT shipped on the disc. When you bought the DLC, it just unlocked the characters that already existed/finished/polished and ready to be on the disc, but they kept it out so they could cash in by making the characters DLC. People even hacked the game to play with the DLC characters! How is that not an incomplete game?