By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has trademarked names for two new IP's.

kupomogli said:

So what does two game titles being trademarked have to do with the games themselves once released being good games?  Nothing.  It's just like if "insert random company here" releases a CG video of "x game."  Doesn't mean the game itself is going to be good, it just means it has a good looking CG video. 

I remember all the Dead Island hype based on just the announcement video, and while it's a good game, what did the announcement video have to do with it being good?  Just like these two trademarks.  Nothing.

Well the point is that they trademarked two new names. If you want to think about what the game is about then cool, give ideas on what you think it will be like. If pessimism is all you can give then it is noted.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
kupomogli said:

So what does two game titles being trademarked have to do with the games themselves once released being good games?  Nothing.  It's just like if "insert random company here" releases a CG video of "x game."  Doesn't mean the game itself is going to be good, it just means it has a good looking CG video. 

I remember all the Dead Island hype based on just the announcement video, and while it's a good game, what did the announcement video have to do with it being good?  Just like these two trademarks.  Nothing

I think S.T.A.G.E. is just pointing out that these are new IPs. That's a good thing already.

The question as to what games these will be, you're right, is a different question. But I think it's valid to mention when one of the big 3 has a new IP or two up its sleeve, in a market where freshness of ideas is considered not necessary but important, not only for sales but also for longer lasting and genuine appeal.

That makes sense.  I guess I've just never thought of it that way.

logic56 said:
Sony can't afford to make games

/thread

Yeah, they are already on their way to another $1 billion in loses for 2012. With poor hardware and software sales for the PSVita, I'm sure they are hurting.

'gaming till I'm gone'

XanderZane said:

Yeah, they are already on their way to another $1 billion in loses for 2012. With poor hardware and software sales for the PSVita, I'm sure they are hurting.

ZaneWane transformed?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:

/thread

Yeah....sure, its called heart. Anyway, its better to have a company focused on new and old ip's rather than a company that lives off of old IP's (obviously not bad ones) and another whose first party isnt on par and depends on third party.

And why exactly is this better? you seem to imply that "new" IP = more enjoyable or fun for gamers.

Mario, the Masterchief and those games from EA, Ubisoft and Activision (third party) are not inferior by any means to any "other" first party. To me. But this my own oppinion :)

Around the Network

I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:

/thread

Yeah....sure, its called heart. Anyway, its better to have a company focused on new and old ip's rather than a company that lives off of old IP's (obviously not bad ones) and another whose first party isnt on par and depends on third party.

And why exactly is this better? you seem to imply that "new" IP = more enjoyable or fun for gamers.

Mario, the Masterchief and those games from EA, Ubisoft and Activision (third party) are not inferior by any means to any "other" first party. To me. But this my own oppinion :)

Im not saying this. Sony has their characters too, but they have the drive to make more because the variety what gives gamers choice. This is where Sony is miles ahead.

Solid-Stark said:

I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:

I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.

This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:

/thread

Im not saying this. Sony has their characters too, but they have the drive to make more because the variety what gives gamers choice. This is where Sony is miles ahead.

Def. not going to arg with you about that fact : Sony is trying hard to please gamers with different type of game.

The part where I disagree is about that being better in general (for the company itself and for the gamers). The opposite may also be true, having Nintendo/Microsft focusing on beloved IPs is actually as good or even better to me. At the end it really depends on us, I prefer MS to work and spend my money on Halo 4, 5 and 6 than creating new IPs. Same for Nintendo with Mario and Co. 

So I would say that it is simply a different strategy and it may please one type of customer and not the other.