By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Wow what a horrible father.

Around the Network
fordy said:
Here's my take on the letter:

1. The letter implies that he spoke to his son earlier on the phone. Why did he decide to disown his son in the most deplorable way possible? This is nearly as bad as breaking up via text message, or firing somebody via an email. Is he really that cowardly that he can't look his son in the eye and say he doesn't want to see him again? You know why? He's afraid he'll buckle in the process.

2. It still surprises me the amount of people that still argue that, despite the amount of social ridicule and exile experienced by homosexuals, that people CHOOSE to be gay. Humans do not CHOOSE to get themselves into such situations, especially knowing the implications.

3. Many are arguing that the father cares because of the way that he ended his letter. To me, that ending sounded like sarcasm.

4. Parents mainly pull this kind of shit as a childish way of trying to persuade the other party. You know what? It's pure hypocrisy. Tell me, father....did your son learn a lesson about BEING HONEST WITH YOU? Perhaps you preferred he bottled it up, so you could enjoy your life of blissful ignorance, having no idea that you do not know your son at all.

@bold. I would doubt a parent would make such a drastic decision in hopes of persuading the other party. If that were the case it would be completely stupid. There is no risk-reward thing to play on with your children...

About blissful ignorance, maybe not. Maybe the parent wanted the reality, and wants to live separately in that reality, rather than live a lie together. We can't tell from the letter, but what we can tell is that the parent thought this through and made a bleeding decision.

yet another fully horrible example as to WHY I hate religion at its core.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

If there was a reply, it could go something like this:

Father:
Under normal circumstances, a son is supposed to feel immense hurt by you writing this. I understand in your mind, you think you will change my ways by disowning me. But, reality is, what you did is not normal circumstances, so I now realize what you are. As it is now, I have considered my father had died recently. It is shame that I was never able to have more good times, but I have no control over someone being dead to me.

I will speak to mother when I can, and ask where your grave is, so I can leave flowers. I wish you well in your afterlife. I hope it isn't too warm there.

And with that, it is done.  Maybe the father changes his mind, but you account your father as lost in this situation, and that would be the last thing he ever hears from you.  His father would realize, hopefully fully, what he did by writing that first letter, and how he is incapable of moving on or maintaing anything like a normal relationship.  You realize who your father is, and your father should realize what he said.  Sometimes things get permanently damaged and aren't repairable.

Moonhero said:
I would never do this to my kids. I don't care about this, my Sister is gay, and it really changes nothing. I still love her, and her amazingly hot girl friend...

A real life hot lesbian and you can't enjoy it for obvious reasons, I'm sorry for your.....loss?

Former something....

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
fordy said:
Here's my take on the letter:

1. The letter implies that he spoke to his son earlier on the phone. Why did he decide to disown his son in the most deplorable way possible? This is nearly as bad as breaking up via text message, or firing somebody via an email. Is he really that cowardly that he can't look his son in the eye and say he doesn't want to see him again? You know why? He's afraid he'll buckle in the process.

2. It still surprises me the amount of people that still argue that, despite the amount of social ridicule and exile experienced by homosexuals, that people CHOOSE to be gay. Humans do not CHOOSE to get themselves into such situations, especially knowing the implications.

3. Many are arguing that the father cares because of the way that he ended his letter. To me, that ending sounded like sarcasm.

4. Parents mainly pull this kind of shit as a childish way of trying to persuade the other party. You know what? It's pure hypocrisy. Tell me, father....did your son learn a lesson about BEING HONEST WITH YOU? Perhaps you preferred he bottled it up, so you could enjoy your life of blissful ignorance, having no idea that you do not know your son at all.

@bold. I would doubt a parent would make such a drastic decision in hopes of persuading the other party. If that were the case it would be completely stupid. There is no risk-reward thing to play on with your children...

About blissful ignorance, maybe not. Maybe the parent wanted the reality, and wants to live separately in that reality, rather than live a lie together. We can't tell from the letter, but what we can tell is that the parent thought this through and made a bleeding decision.

If that were the case, I'm sure a lot of people would question his paternal instincts. Is this any different from say, the deadbeat parents who leave their children with bruises, without any shred of remorse for what they did whatsoever? I'll give you a hint: there is only one difference; one is physical damage, the other is emotional damage, both inflicted by what many would consider, neglectful parents.

On a side note, I really hope that this turns out to be a spur of the moment, and father does talk with his son eventually. Otherwise, i can see a lot of regret on the father's deathbed, of living a life and throwing away all that precious time through ignorant negligence, that could have been spent with his own son.

happydolphin said:
Jay520 said:

1.) a- You're right, negligence is a poor word. Perhaps, abandonment is a better word. Okay, how could you admire something as harmful as abandonment, simply because the person thinks it's right? That's your only reasoning - Because he thinks it's right. You are neutral on whether his actions are right or wrong. You just admire his actions because he thinks he's doing the right thing. That does not make sense to me. 

b- Would you admire a father for abandoning his son for being a Republican....simply because the father believes republicans are wrong?

2.) a- Those examples don't apply anymore because they were based on the idea that you thought the father's actions were wrong, yet you still admired them. Of course now I know that you don't think the father's actions were wrong.

b- And no, they could not apply to me. I said there is no reason to abandon a son for being gay... because a son's gayness will not harm you. This doesn't apply to rapists, killers, etc because the knowledge that a person rapes and kills can be disturbing to others. This does not apply to a person being gay. There is no reason to be disturbed by homosexuality.

Also, all killers and rapists perform actions that harm people. There is good reason to abandon these people. On the contrary, simply being gay harms no one. Some homosexuals don't even exercise their homosexuality. So abandoning someone for simply being homosexual is wrong.

3.) Do you agree that the father could remain in contact with the son while still disapproving of the son's lifestyle? 

1) Thanks for the negligence part. It helps to know you're actually talking to me and not just arguing.

Jay, I told you I didn't admire the abandonment. I admired him sticking to his convictions (being true to his feelings and convictions), what he did after that (abandonment, living with it outside of denial) is another thing I told you I didn't form an opinion on yet. 

As such, what I mean is I wouldn't admire the contrary (that everything is alright, when really it isn't). That's really all I'm trying to say. His actions only prove that he is respecting his feelings and convictions, as for whether it was the right thing to do or not is another story. I know this is subtle but read this again and if you still can't see what I mean ask again, I will clarify. Again, to be precise, I don't admire his actions (italics).

b) I would not, to be completely honest, and probably that proves that my judgement is tainted by my own convictions. Possibly I'm so certain that to judge someone on political division such as Republican or Democrat is a lack of judgement, you must be thinking the same on this issue. But to help contrast a little, what about participating in a Neo Natzist organization? That might make things a little more apples to apples I would think.

2) I neither consider his actions wrong nor right, I have yet to form an opinion, I think you got that part.

b- So first you give the impression that abandonment is wrong no matter what, but now I get the idea that you would in the case of gross crime (bold). Then why make me defend point 1?

3) I think so. It would be quite commendable given this person's feelings on the matter.

@spurge. I second that

1.) 

Fair enough, I must have misunderstood you. You said you admired his feelings, I assumed you admired his abandonment as well.  My mistake. I see now that you only admire the feelings behind his abadonment. Personally, I don't see how that makes sense; I don't see how you can distinguish the two, but to each their own I suppose. 

b.) I don't know much about the NNO, but from reading that Wikipedia page, I do not believe the the NNO and homosexuality are comparable. From what I have read, the NNO group exercises racism and xenophobia. While homosexuality is the mere attraction to same-gender humans. I don't think the two are similar.

For your question, it really depends on what you mean by 'participating in'. If by 'participating in', you mean harming any person solely because of their race or nationality, then it is fair to abandon them. Because the NNO participant's actions are causing harm onto others simply because of how/where they were born. However, if you mean simply disliking a certain race or nationality, but NOT harming or insulting anyone in ANY way for their race/nationality, then I don't think it's fair to abandon that person. (Ex. My grandpa dislikes Chinese people for whatever reason, but he doesn't try to harm them and he doesn't insult them. I don't think I should abandon him for how he feels)

2.) Yeah, I get it now.

b.) I was not trying to say abadonment is wrong no matter what. I was trying to say that abandonment is wrong in cases like this - where the son is not harming anyone. I wanted you to defend point 1 because I thought you admired the father's abandonment. But now I see you only admire the feelings behind the father's abandonment.

fordy said:

If that were the case, I'm sure a lot of people would question his paternal instincts. Is this any different from say, the deadbeat parents who leave their children with bruises, without any shred of remorse for what they did whatsoever? I'll give you a hint: there is only one difference; one is physical damage, the other is emotional damage, both inflicted by what many would consider, neglectful parents.

On a side note, I really hope that this turns out to be a spur of the moment, and father does talk with his son eventually. Otherwise, i can see a lot of regret on the father's deathbed, of living a life and throwing away all that precious time through ignorant negligence, that could have been spent with his own son.

I would doubt it, since according to OP 5 years after the letter the son published it on the internet. He wouldn't do that if they had come back together unless the father consented to it. I would be surprised. Possible but unlikely, who knows.

The case of the deadbeat parents, you mean parents beating their children when they do something wrong? I'm not sure I follow you.

Jay520 said:

1.) 

Fair enough, I must have misunderstood you. You said you admired his feelings, I assumed you admired his abandonment as well.  My mistake. I see now that you only admire the feelings behind his abadonment. Personally, I don't see how that makes sense; I don't see how you can distinguish the two, but to each their own I suppose. 

b.) I don't know much about the NNO, but from reading that Wikipedia page, I do not believe the the NNO and homosexuality are comparable. From what I have read, the NNO group exercises racism and xenophobia. While homosexuality is the mere attraction to same-gender humans. I don't think the two are similar.

For your question, it really depends on what you mean by 'participating in'. If by 'participating in', you mean harming any person solely because of their race or nationality, then it is fair to abandon them. Because the NNO participant's actions are causing harm onto others simply because of how/where they were born. However, if you mean simply disliking a certain race or nationality, but NOT harming or insulting anyone in ANY way for their race/nationality, then I don't think it's fair to abandon that person. (Ex. My grandpa dislikes Chinese people for whatever reason, but he doesn't try to harm them and he doesn't insult them. I don't think I should abandon him for how he feels)

2.) Yeah, I get it now.

b.) I was not trying to say abadonment is wrong no matter what. I was trying to say that abandonment is wrong in cases like this - where the son is not harming anyone. I wanted you to defend point 1 because I thought you admired the father's abandonment. But now I see you only admire the feelings behind the father's abandonment.

I think we see eye to eye. I don't know how I feel about his actions and if I form an opinion on it I'll let you know. As it is I'm not fully opposed to it but I could be wrong.

happydolphin said:

I would doubt it, since according to OP 5 years after the letter the son published it on the internet. He wouldn't do that if they had come back together unless the father consented to it. I would be surprised. Possible but unlikely, who knows.

The case of the deadbeat parents, you mean parents beating their children when they do something wrong? I'm not sure I follow you.

Sometimes it can take years for one party to admit they were wrong. The onset of time will only make this decision hurt more in the long run.

Careful there. By that analogy, you're considering that being gay is something wrong and punishable ;) . I'm talking about parents who beat their kids for no reason at all, other than being kids.