By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would Lost Odyssey have sold better if it had the Final Fantasy name?

Would Lost Odyssey have sold better if it had the Final Fantasy name?

Yes! 111 82.84%

No! 13 9.70%

I'm looking for sailors! 10 7.46%

Total:134

Yep! :)

I'm glad I picked this game up awhile ago. I really hope they have a series!!

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network

Although I couldn't bring myself to finish the fourth disk, I must say it's a good JRPG as it kept my attention that far, usually I get bored halfway through, but it was pretty decent. But the name of the FF would have definitely carried it much further than it got.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Lost Odyssey was great. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but that games was something special.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

If it had the FF name it would have sold much better. It was a more entertaining game with a better story, it just wasn't polished near as much as a FF game is. Oh those long battle load times.... arg.

Not a doubt in my mind. Lost Odyssey took the stuff that Final Fantasy had already done and did them really well. It didn't break much new ground but it did what it did very good. Also, that one chick had this blue vein in on her boob that totally mesmerized me.

I think that, coming into this generation, the gaming media had all of these dreams about what they expected a 7th gen JRPG to be and Lost Odyssey was just a really gorgeous 6th gen JRPG. Of the ones that I've played, Lost Odyssey is easily the king of the mountain. I'd even go as far as to say that, if the exact same game was released today with nothing added except the performance improvements we got via patches, it would sell better and review better right now.

Expectations hurt Lost Odyssey. The reality of our current situation makes Lost Odyssey that much better. It's a big budget, engaging, traditional JRPG and that's exactly what many of us have been missing.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy is a huge franchise and even the abysmal FF XIII and XIII-2 sold really well. So if an actual good game like Lost Odyssey at the title, then there is no doubt in my mind that it would have sold much better than it did.

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

If it had the final fantasy name and if it also was released on the PS3 exclusively; it would have sold millions in Japan alone.

RolStoppable said:
No, because it's not the name that sells Final Fantasy games, it's their quality.

Name is also important.  FFXIII sold a lot 1st week because of name only, but later on, the craptastic quality made it to stop selling.

If there is a new IP what matters is only the quality of the game.

It didn't really need the Final Fantasy name, all it needed was to release on the Ps3 as well. It's such a shame, Sakaguchi deserved better.

How was microsoft marketing for this game dont remember any huge push.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share