By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would Lost Odyssey have sold better if it had the Final Fantasy name?

Would Lost Odyssey have sold better if it had the Final Fantasy name?

Yes! 111 82.84%

No! 13 9.70%

I'm looking for sailors! 10 7.46%

Total:134

The only way to get a big marketing push on the xbox is to have Halo written on it. End of discussion !

Around the Network

double post

ishiki said:

Dumb question...

However, I question people that think sakaguchi's name sells things, and if he was on the PS3 it would magically boost sales by 3-4 million... Last Story sold worse than LO... the final fantasy movie of his did abysmally (despite that I liked it), all his games had pretty good sales for a JRPG not called FF/DQ/Pokemon. Great videogame creator, pretty bad businessman, which is why he's not with SE anymore, and probably why mistwalker's doing iphone games now. 

i think in those cases the problem is the platform. The Nintendo platform and the Xbox platform has not traditionally marketed those games. Well Nintendo hasnt since the SNES epoch.

The Final Fantasy moive was completely different, because it was marteking the brand beyond the gaming community, to a market which had no exposure to that IP. I havent seen it, but it was at a time when CGi in films was designed predominately for kids, with things like Toy Story or Shrek the things I'm refferring to. Avatar changed all that. I think if it was released today as opposed to 10 years ago, it would have found more success. But it was not Final Fantasy.

Sakaguchi shouldve called the film 'The Spirits Within' or something like that. It wasnt Final Fantasy, which is why it was a diservice to the IP.

I think Sakaguchi is excellent as developing games at this type of scale. But its ridiculous for him to release games like his on consoles with no remarkable userbase for those games.

Honestly if The Last Story was to be released for PS3 (which is impossible), but if it was. I think his name would give that game 3 to 4 million sales. The PS3 userbase is the territory of this type of game. There is a possibility the Wii U, with a graphical upgrade will change that. Maybe The Last Story will be more successful, in which case they will do another one.

The other thing is I think part of the reason is that the Wii has cheaper development costs, so its possible that the game has been more profitable than we think, and that Sakaguchi will do something else soon. I dont think Mistwalker have announced any financial difficulties, so its possible the sales did cover the cost of development and yeilded profit. I dont know about that Ishiki. It also possible that Mistwalker is working with Square Enix, that is doubtful, but it is possible.

A203D said:
ishiki said:

Dumb question...

However, I question people that think sakaguchi's name sells things, and if he was on the PS3 it would magically boost sales by 3-4 million... Last Story sold worse than LO... the final fantasy movie of his did abysmally (despite that I liked it), all his games had pretty good sales for a JRPG not called FF/DQ/Pokemon. Great videogame creator, pretty bad businessman, which is why he's not with SE anymore, and probably why mistwalker's doing iphone games now. 

I think Sakaguchi is excellent as developing games at this type of scale. But its ridiculous for him to release games like his on consoles with no remarkable userbase for those games.

Honestly if The Last Story was to be released for PS3 (which is impossible), but if it was. I think his name would give that game 3 to 4 million sales. The PS3 userbase is the territory of this type of game. There is a possibility the Wii U, with a graphical upgrade will change that. Maybe The Last Story will be more successful, in which case they will do another one.

I think he is great at developing games on at the grand scale like lost odyssey (which is great).

The last story, isn't that grand of scale... but bleh.

I guess we can disagree. I just think he misses the budget he got with FF, and won't get anymore unless he goes back, because those were the type of projects he was great with. I think SE misses him just as much for direction in keeping the franchise and the talent at Square, like Kitase and nomura, from going too excessively down indulgent paths if that makes sense.

ishiki said:

I think he is great at developing games on at the grand scale like lost odyssey (which is great).

The last story, isn't that grand of scale... but bleh.

I guess we can disagree. I just think he misses the budget he got with FF, and won't get anymore unless he goes back, because those were the type of projects he was great with. I think SE misses him just as much for direction in keeping the franchise and the talent at Square, like Kitase and nomura, from going too excessively down indulgent paths if that makes sense.

Yeah, I've noticed your not a huge advocate of The Last Story. I havent played it myself. What did you not like about it?

I am honestly not sure what the situation is, since have I played neither of his games this gen. I only know that he still has a good reputation because of those games, so I'm sure they wouldve been more popular on PS3.

When we say SE, we are reffering to Yochi Wada and the shareholders (I think). The thing with those parties is that, I dont think they care what direction Final Fantasy takes, as long as it is finanically lucritive. Thats partly what the problem has been in my opinion. Thats why FF13/FF7 compilation has turned out the way it has; Wada is not a game designer, he relies on Kitase, Normua, et al, to maintain the series creatively. Wada dosent know if their doing the right thing, he only cares if that creative nature is finanically lucrative.

If you look at Wada, he is an excellent buisnessman, he has secured things like Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, and now Sleeping Dogs (which looks awesome). I think the man knows how to play the game industry. His job was never about the artistic direction of the Final Fantasy series. I think in that respect he might not be interested in having Sakaguchi back, because as you said neither of Sakaguhi's games were finanically blockbusters. And Sakaguchi's artistic buisness methodology was not lucritive in the past. It led the company into bankruptcy.

The only reason I think that Wada would want Sakaguhci back is in a creative capacity NOT in any management capacity. So I think yes, him might want him back for the creative success of the FF brand. In that respect I can see Wada outsourcing things to Mistwalker, rather than bringing Sakaguchi back. And you have to remember Sakaguchi would have to answer to Wada. If Wada dosent think that Sakaguchi's artistic vision is marketable, he wont allow it to be done.

Would Sakaguchi ever want to have to jepordise his work to meet consumer demand and financial expectations? I dont think so. Hence why he chose the Wii over the PS3.

I dont think Kitase, Toriyama or Nomura want him back either. They have had more creative freedom and more indulgent tendancies because they no longer have a superior, Sakaguchi. Wada is not a game designer so those people dont answer to him artisically, they dont answer to Sakaguchi. Hence how they have been so indulengent this gen. Personally I dont think they want him back, they have their own work patterns, and they are heads of their own internal studios. Production Team 1 is essentially two development teams now. Would they want Sakaguchi back?? to make them one team again, to call the shots for them, I dont think so.

Wada still has one ace in the hole. Which is of course the FF12 production team. If FF15 fails, I can see Wada outsouring FF16 to Mistwalker. But with Hiroyuki Ito and Hiroshi Minagawa in control, I can see them staying very close to the Sakaguchi style of RPGs. Which is what Sakaguchi would bring to the table anyway.