By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CBS falsely accuses video games in Oakley stabbing

Examiner

It seems that it has happened once again, a sad attempt of the media trying to pinpoint video games as a culprit of violent acts. Today's news story comes in the form of a verbal argument that escalated into a physical attack between two friends. Luckily for news reporters, this verbal argument began as the two individuals were speaking to each other, in an open chat room, using their Xbox 360s.

As the Sacramento CBS local news reporter introduces the story with the following quote, “a story of online gaming gone wrong,” I guess the reporter felt that this was a fitting headline considering the two individuals weren't engaging in any online gameplay. The actual facts of the story are completely irrelevant to what CBS is trying to deliver to their audience.

The victim of the stabbing, of whom received 22 stab wounds, directly tells the reporter that they were simply talking to each other over the headset, in a non-related video game conversation. The stab victim states that the attacker was a family friend. Speaking to each other in an Xbox live chat room, which is the equivalent of speaking to someone over the phone, the two individuals began to engage in an argument due to a “continued feud with one another.” This argument then escalated, as the suspect showed up to his house, wielding a knife and a gun.

With these facts in place, it seems inconclusive to paint the involvement of the Xbox 360 as having a massive impact on this violent outbreak. Nevertheless, throughout the entire duration of the report, it seems that CBS wants the audience to focus on the topic of video game violence.

I guess it just boils down to one factor, that being the better headline. “Stabbing Outbreak Over an Escalated Argument with a Family Friend.” Or, “Video Game Violence Escalates: Xbox-Live Chat Sends Teen into a Violent Stabbing Attack.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/cbs-falsely-accuses-video-games-oakley-stabbing

Around the Network

Oh Media... when will you ever learn?

Speaking on voice chat through the 360 is about as much gaming as chatting on VGC.

It saddens me every time i see how far the media will bend the truth for a story.

Whatever happened to ethics, standards and basic fact checking that seem absent from today's media?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

The media is questioning the influence of violent video games while the fact that one of them was carrying a gun was completely overlooked.

What else is happening in America?

Around the Network

why does media always blame games for people going violent?
i think they have nothing else to do. this theory , "games turn people violent" has been proven wrong multiple times.

Why im I not surprised its 2012 I though the media would of learned something by now.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Hawkeyejonjon said:

Why not? We blame Santa for the Christmas gifts even though they were bought by our parents. Someone has to take the blame.

Galaki said:
Hawkeyejonjon said:

Why not? We blame Santa for the Christmas gifts even though they were bought by our parents. Someone has to take the blame.

The person that did the crime should be the one getting blamed not games

Hawkeyejonjon said:
Galaki said:
Hawkeyejonjon said:

The person that did the crime should be the one getting blamed not games

Don't be ridiculous. People don't kill people. Video games kill people.

Or something.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective