By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why PS Vita Flopping Is A Good Thing

Soundwave said:
thekitchensink said:
If conventional handheld game systems are going down, then why has Nintendo sold more 3DS' than they sold DS' by this point in its lifecycle, despite it being more expensive?

The failure of one product does not indicate a trend.

The DS was horrible early on in its life cycle, because Nintendo had to abruptly kill the GBA mid-cycle to release it, which caused a lot of confusion. 

The 3DS is going to come nowhere close to DS' life time sales. The 3DS is doing great in only one market -- Japan, and that's because in Japan the gaming handheld has replaced the home console market basically. 

But that doesn't apply to anywhere else in the world. The guy who wants to play Call of Duty has a 50-inch screen and a PS3/XBox waiting for him at home to do that with, he's not going to spend $250 + $20-$80 for a memory card + $50 for a watered down CoD so he can carry a device the size of a brick around in his pocket all day. 

This is just stupid. Sony basically has created a device that primarily appeals to 12-14-year-old males (read: the Marcus demographic) who are going through their rebellious phase where they're "too cool" for a DS/Game Boy but not old enough to have a driver's license and go out party/hang out when they please. 

If Sony had any freaking vision left as an electronics pioneer they would look at today's cell phone and tablet experience and realize rather quickly that there's money to be made by engineering something that can discreetly do everything modern cell phones/tablets do but can also play a wide variety of "real games" sold at a reasonable price (the Xperia Play has no games, no marketing so that's a no-go to begin with). 

That's a fair argument.  I certainly wouldn't object to the concept of a tablet that had great games and real controls.  Although, I think the Vita's very similar to that already--it has the touchscreen and all of its games are downloadable (in addition to most PSP games).  The only difference is that you have the option of buying the games at retail, and that the downloadable games are more expensive than apps, which is just a pricing issue.

Also, we agree that people don't want to buy a $250 handheld plus $50 game plus proprietary memory card.  There is no reason for it not to have built-in storage and for the cartridge-based games not to come with space to save, and no handheld system in history has been very successful at that price.  Regarding the actual games, things like Call of Duty are designed with consoles in mind.  The reason people flock to Nintendo's handhelds is that they are centred around 'portable' games.  It takes five minutes or less to run through a course in Mario, you can quickly catch one guy or beat one trainer in Pokemon.  Sure the 3DS has meatier titles like Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts, but even those are smaller in scale than their console counterparts, and designed with quick sessions in mind.

If Sony made the Vita cheaper and started giving it more games designed with 'pick up and play' in mind, I'm sure it would do much better.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

But, but CoD will save the Vita!! >8-|

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Sadly, I think you are right. I still hope it sells some 40 million like I originally predicted, Sony needs to recoup the costs and make some profit out of it.

superchunk said:
thekitchensink said:
If conventional handheld game systems are going down, then why has Nintendo sold more 3DS' than they sold DS' by this point in its lifecycle, despite it being more expensive?

The failure of one product does not indicate a trend.

Nintendo is the exception to this due to its particular 1st party titles. The market that traditionally no longer wants Pokemon, Mario, etc will own a smartphone/tablet. Where as the market that will want those 1st party titles will not be able to own such a device. (of course this is in general terms not every instance)

Also the 3DS is not that much more expensive now as compared to the $129 original DS line.

Wait, what about the market that wants quality handheld titles that don't fit your narrow first party offerings? The iOS/Android platforms do not offer the same type of gaming experiences that can be offered on the 3DS, regardless of IP.

I don't want a phone.

Around the Network

Now, this thread isn't a very good idea, since it's based directly off a comment that i moderated earlier today.

Locking.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I really hope that Sony decides to integrate Vita into a Phone. I have the 3G version, and have not played it since the middle of May, and I don't really know of anything that would make me want to. I hate that it is an extra thing I have to carry with me. My phone is always on hand, and I sit their and look at it wishing I could play some Gran Turismo, but alas I am stuck with crash bandicoot.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I think its too late for Sony to enter the smartphone race. Samsung galaxy S is the phone of choice for many people.

It would need to offer something substantially better whilst ensuring it still looks like a mobile phone.