By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ngmoco CEO says Apple “is defeating the Nintendo hardware machine

He is right. At least with the last two bolded sentences.

Kind of like the AAA article on IGN, that last statement.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

At first I thought you had just mangled the word "Namco" and then I looked and saw that oh there is a company called Ngmoco. Heh.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

well thats because ngmoco makes games for ios. that's why they would say that

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

He's right. iOS/Android are destroying the value proposition of 3DS/Vita games. A game like NSMB2, or Kirby or Rhythm Heaven or Loco Roco or Patapon, or Katamari, etc., could easily be done on a smart phone. This destroys the percieved value. Why should I pay $30-$40 for such games when there in a league with iOS/Android games. In fact iOS/Android games like Six Guns or Infinity Blade appear more robust and better values and at a fraction of the price (or free!!).

Games like Drake's Fortune appear to warrent the added cost of a Vita game but... these are better played on home consoles (which is the problem PSP faced too).

Nintendo at least has strong franchises that play well on portable systems.

As better, richer and fuller games continue to come to iOS/Android it'll become increasingly difficult for Nintendo and Sony to maintain their handheld ecosystems.

Gamerace said:
He's right. iOS/Android are destroying the value proposition of 3DS/Vita games. A game like NSMB2, or Kirby or Rhythm Heaven or Loco Roco or Patapon, or Katamari, etc., could easily be done on a smart phone. This destroys the percieved value. Why should I pay $30-$40 for such games when there in a league with iOS/Android games. In fact iOS/Android games like Six Guns or Infinity Blade appear more robust and better values and at a fraction of the price (or free!!).

Games like Drake's Fortune appear to warrent the added cost of a Vita game but... these are better played on home consoles (which is the problem PSP faced too).

As better, richer and fuller games continue to come to iOS/Android it'll become increasingly difficult for Nintendo and Sony to maintain their handheld ecosystems.

How do you play NSMB2 on an iPhone with just a touch interface?

And how does Infinity Blade (and screen swipe game) appear more robust and of better value than, say, Resident Evil: Revelations?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

It simply raises the bar of challenge. A game doesn't have to not be doable on iOS, it still just has to be truly good enough to be worth purchasing on its own, meaning that people are going to be pickier about what they buy, but it's certainly possible to keep things moving, as Nintendo continues to prove. Your experience has to be great, and moreover, exclusive.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Viper1 said:
Gamerace said:

How do you play NSMB2 on an iPhone with just a touch interface?

And how does Infinity Blade (and screen swipe game) appear more robust and of better value than, say, Resident Evil: Revelations?

They aren't.

The problem is that people prefer to pay less, even if they don't get the same experience. I have a 3DS and an iPhone, and I have more than 200 apps for my iPhone, but the sensation of paying 1 dollar for a "medium" game gives me the bad sensation for paying 30 dollars on any game for my 3DS.

In my opinion, this is the turning point: when you start wondering if Swordigo (a GREAT game for the iOS, but it would be a medium-rate RPG for the 3DS) is more valuable than Heroes of Ruin, for example.

Not that I'm going to stop buying 3DS games, but sometimes I feel ripped off, because I'm used to paying MUCH less for games.

And please, don't get me wrong, I agree with you. The problem is this: the pricetag.

Dunno what to display here, soon I'll know what to put.

When you charge nothing for your games and sell them with advertisers it is not hard to sell them. Come out and sell them for $40 a pop and talk sh-t. Those games are garbage and the gaming system's this gen are doing better then they ever have. Also all people have phones. I have some games on it, do I play them as much as my 360/wii, NO!!!. I play them when I'm so bored I'm forced to play them. Thats how sh-tty those games are. So to this and every other that keeps talking all this about android games and ios. DUDE THERE A DOLLAR 99 OR FREE. How do you compete with free. I bet any game MS/SONY/WII hands out free would destroy any of these games. Let alone a $1.99. This shouldn't even be a topic or even compariable. This is a idiot who is comparing things that should not be. The system are not going to be bothered by phone garbage.

Someone speak up and talk about the logic behind comparing something like this. It is downloaded because it is free or that the waiting rooms where ever you are, are just way to long. Thats what these games have done. They made it some what easier to see a docter or whatever your doing. Other then that, I way more enjoy my 3ds, I don't own a Vita or a PSP but I would rather much play them then any garbage that is on a phone. The controls of these games are always a mess. I can't stand sony as a company but I would rather play them then phone garbage. After this sh-t I'm going to delete the games on my phone and keep my 3ds on me at all times.

Sorry I'm just getting real sick of them comparing apple's and bananna's. Yes I changed that saying up.

smartphones are now even more powerful than dedicated handhelds. What nintendo need to do is to differentiate their product over mobile phones, and smart phone is catching up pretty fast. maybe that is why vita is not performing well enough. It's a smart phone with gaming buttons. Smart phones nowadays have 3d screen (unsuccessful, until apple would release one i bet) so nintendo's"gimmick" (as much as i hate to use the term) is decreasing rapidly. Hand held might be on a decrease but we are talking on a gaming company that can survive with their own IPs... and that is a hard feat to gain.

I can see this happening in the future, but until the die-hard fans and the players that prefer atleast some button controls die out or console/handheld gaming industry takes a turn for the worst, I don't see the big 3 going anywhere anytime soon!

Spaceguy said it best when it comes to people who prefer such control method.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!