By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Mario Bros U To Be Better Than New Super Mario Bros 2

By far my favourite looking stage so far

New Super Mario Bros 2 will be released later next month for Nintendo 3DS with it’s new focus on coin collecting and speed runs. You may also be aware that the Wii U will get it’s own Mario game at launch titled New Super Mario Bros U. While the 3DS version is/was being developed by a younger team, the Wii U version will see series veterans working on the game. Reviews have started coming in for the 3DS title (with ours coming later this week) and so far they’re looking very good. Will the Wii U development team be able to step it up?

Speaking to Nintendo President Satoru Iwata in the latest “Iwata Asks”, New Super Mario Bros producer Takashi Tezuka talked about all the hard work that has gone into New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS stating it will “raise the bar” in terms of gameplay and features. As for the Wii U version, he intends to make the sequel “even better”, as Tezuka puts it. He closed the discussion by simply saying “Just leave it to me.”

After getting some hands-on time with New Super Mario Bros U at E3 last month, I felt a strange mix of disappointment and excitement. The same Mario gameplay we’ve all come to love is still there and some of the featured worlds look fresh and fantastic (including the awesome looking Yoshi’s Island influenced stage). However the implmentation and experience with the Wii U pad felt a lot shallower compared to the likes of something like the excellent Rayman Legends.

With the console’s release fast approaching we’ll soon see if Tezuka will live up to his word.

http://blog.fancensus.com/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-be-better-than-new-super-mario-bros-2/

Around the Network

I would much rather have something like this instead of that same old NEW super mario bros-style:

This would have felt fresh! It looks fantastic!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

both pics look fantastic!!!

Awesome!

I just hope that someday, somehow, Nintendo decides to do a 2D/3D Mario of the best levels of the entire Mario games. Now that would be sweet!

DanneSandin said:

I would much rather have something like this instead of that same old NEW super mario bros-style:

Green that is not green... red that is not red... yellow that is not yellow...

Thanks, but no thanks! Imo, keep those realistic colors out of mario, please!

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Awesome!

I just hope that someday, somehow, Nintendo decides to do a 2D/3D Mario of the best levels of the entire Mario games. Now that would be sweet!

haha a Super Mario Greatest Hits!!

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
Awesome!

It would be called Super Mario Universe! :)
Mario Kart already lets you play older tracks with new ones, right? Who wouldn`t like to play old levels with a twist?

DanneSandin said:

while that looks pretty cool as a screen shot ... i think mario needs more color than than.  add back the color but keep the detailed texture, depth, and shadow and i think we'd have a winner.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
Awesome!

It would be called Super Mario Universe! :)
Mario Kart already lets you play older tracks with new ones, right? Who wouldn`t like to play old levels with a twist?

THat would be sweet :D You simply pick a door and plays a certain mario game :P be it kart or SMB3... this actuallt sounds like NintendoLand ^^

kitler53 said:
DanneSandin said:

while that looks pretty cool as a screen shot ... i think mario needs more color than than.  add back the color but keep the detailed texture, depth, and shadow and i think we'd have a winner.

Oh I agree; Mario needs more color - but something along these lines would be swell! It's like you said: "keep the detailed texture, depth, and shadow "