By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony & Microsoft to be allies in next console war?

What do you want MS and Sony to do?

Merge. One console to rule them all. 91 30.95%

Stay seperate. I hate one... 104 35.37%

Cross play. No merger, just some partnership. 99 33.67%

Total:294

Suppose this is true, I think the purpose would be, not to make a unified console, but to make a unified game. As some people mentioned, the DVD idea. There's plenty of DVD manufacturers, but there's only one DVD. Sony makes their console, Microsoft makes their console, everybody makes one game. Though I think the deeper thinking would be Windows. It's quite possible Sony was trying to make PC penetration with Gaikai and Microsoft with their Windows 8 is standing in the way. Maybe they've come to an agreement.

Around the Network

People arn't taking this at all serious are they?

Never gonna happen. Ever. Disgrace that a website will post this tripe for a few extra hits let alone people actually believing it.

Microsoft has nothing I want so im happy sticking with just sony thanks.

think-man said:
Microsoft has nothing I want so im happy sticking with just sony thanks.

Same here, Sony has nothing I want and there controller is just not my type. I'm happy sticking with just MS thanks.

Come to think of it, the one thing I wouldn't mind them doing is cross-platform online play. Having roughly double the players unified online would lead to a naturally bigger (not to mention more competitive) community and would probably help online games sell more.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
makingmusic476 said:

I'm trying to imagine any reason why this would happen.

Both Sony and Microsoft are jumping into the wider ecosystem battle with Google and Apple. The next Xbox will be integral in bringing Microsoft's services to the living room, through their Live accounts and access to Microsoft's app store, as will the next PlayStation be integral in bringing Sony's burgeoning Sony Entertainment Network to that same space.

This is simply not something they would cooperate on.  If they unified under a single hardware platform, they'd still have competing software platforms on those same devices. Working with their own individual hardware leaves open the possibility of one performing better than the other, thus that one having a larger audience to which they can sell their digital content.

It'd be equally as unlikely as Microsoft suddenly working with Apple or Google to produce phones.

Maybe it's really Windows 8 that Sony fears. MS is about to launch a unified OS across all platforms that is rumored to be the heart of the next Xbox. All software and games made for one will work on another, or so the rumors say. If true maybe Sony would rather swim with the current than fight the tide. Sony lost a lot of money on the PS3, right now they have a lot to lose on hardware, but a lot to gain with all their software developers. Maybe they are starting to see the world like Sega and are tired of having to throw money at hardware and hope to make it back in software.

Then I'd imagine they would have not released the PSV.

If I see Sony partnering up with anybody, it's Google.  Google could use a strong avenue into the living room, and Sony has had a history using Android on their phones and tablets.  An Android-based console with Google's services and Sony's PlayStation legacy and properties would do well for both companies, I'd think, and could put both companies in a better position to combat Apple and Microsoft.

However, you'd still have heavy competition between Google and Sony's music and video services, as well as a myriad of other reasons why such a joint project wouldn't work.  Both companies would want their content to be the focal point of the device.

Any such merger with any of these companies would hurt Sony's larger, company-wide strategy.  They're not going to suddenly abandon a long term strategy they're hoping will save the company in exchange for a small boon in the video game arena.

We have to remember that SCE aren't just a video game company.  They exist as part of a much larger enterprise.

If they would just merge the servers for multiplatform games that would be killer! Xbox live vs PSN players on cod or anything you can imagine.The other thing would be selling eachothers games and keep exclusive content for each platform. Like uncharted on xbox but not all maps and halo on ps3 not all the maps (for both online multiplayer).

I certainly hope this isn't true. I'd rather not stain my PS experience with the potentially disastrous Xbox hardware failures or having to pay for the online.

likewise, if I was an Xbox guy I certainly wouldn't want Sony's inferior PSN features and having to install all my games.

Keep them separate, they work better when in competition with one another.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

lol
that would be nice to see
but i think that would benefit Nintendo sales...
so bring it on :D

an enemy of my enemy is my friend.