By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 - Time for a Redesigned Controller At Long Last?

Should the Playstation Controller

be completely redesigned? 91 23.88%

be slightly updated? 206 54.07%

left exactly the way it is? 81 21.26%

Total:378

Sort of related. Design your own DualShock 3 controller if anyone is interested.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/01/help-come-up-with-a-new-dualshock-3-design/

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

Why would people want the analog stick repositioned? Is it just because they want it to be similar to the 360's or is there some other reason?

Jay520 said:
Why would people want the analog stick? Is it just because they want it to be similar to the 360's or is there some other reason?

???

Its always had an analog stick.

Except te original PS1. Or did you mean move it.

Its in an unnatural place. Strafing rigt whilst looking left  = bumping thumbs. Its really bad design. Makes sense being were it is on 360, Dreamcast, Xbox, GC, PC controllers etc.

Jay520 said:
Why would people want the analog stick? Is it just because they want it to be similar to the 360's or is there some other reason?

Some people like the positioning to be altered like it is on the Xbox controller, and to a lessen extent the gamecube. People have strong opions on the positioning of the analog sticks but I find that this is due to a muscle memory issue that is created from consistent use of one style and switching to another. I play PlayStation, have for years. I had a PS when I was 10 and continued to play on PlayStation consoles...until my PS2 broke after 3 years and I was gifted an Xbox instead of a new PS2 out of poor judgement by my mother...anyway. I did enjoy the Xbox, played a bunch of Halo. At first it seemed I didn't like the controller but I soon became accustomed to it. A few years passed and at college I never had the money to buy a PS3, eventually I found a friend who had one and played a game. It was uncomfortable! I haven't played PlayStation in so long that I lost the muscle memory, I gained it back quickly but it revealed to me the divide Xbox owners and PlayStation owners have. The alternate analog positions require time to adjust in order for the controller to be comfortable. This goes both ways, neither the xbox controller or the PS controller is uncomfortable or has the analogs in a improper place. This difference has fuelled the console wars because it changes the way gamers experience the other console, be it for the first time or after a long hiatus. This discomfort that gamers experience creates a divide and a flame point when really all it takes is a couple hours of gameplay.

selnor said:
Jay520 said:

???

Except the original PS1. Or did you mean move it.

Its in an unnatural place. Strafing right whilst looking left  = bumping thumbs. Its really a bad design. Makes sense being where it is on 360, Dreamcast, Xbox, GC, PC controllers etc.

But you could always put your thumbs on the opposite edges of the analog sticks. It's really not that big of an issue and only takes like two seconds to grow accustomed to it.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
selnor said:
Jay520 said:

???

Except the original PS1. Or did you mean move it.

Its in an unnatural place. Strafing right whilst looking left  = bumping thumbs. Its really a bad design. Makes sense being where it is on 360, Dreamcast, Xbox, GC, PC controllers etc.

But you could always put your thumbs on the opposite edges of the analog sticks. It's really not that big of an issue and only takes like two seconds to grow accustomed to it.

Ive played through most top PS3 titles now, and have found ways around it. Buts its not a comfortable solution. Its playable yes, but te other design is better and provides more comfort. If you have to repostion to use a device in such a way, the next design should rectify it. It would only improve the gaming experience.

Look at the Xbox 1 controller. It was horrendous on quite a few areas. It was good to see Microsoft listen and remap the controller. Except for te god awful Dpad. Its bloody orrible for 2d games. I use te analog when Id rather use the DPAD its that bad.

selnor said:

Ive played through most top PS3 titles now, and have found ways around it. Buts its not a comfortable solution. Its playable yes, but te other design is better and provides more comfort. If you have to repostion to use a device in such a way, the next design should rectify it. It would only improve the gaming experience.

Look at the Xbox 1 controller. It was horrendous on quite a few areas. It was good to see Microsoft listen and remap the controller. Except for te god awful Dpad. Its bloody orrible for 2d games. I use te analog when Id rather use the DPAD its that bad.

It's really a not a big deal. It's so insignificant that most people don't even notice it after playing for a while. (I didn't even know it before you brought it up). Like I said, it only takes a few seconds to grow accustomed to it and after which, it becomes natural without you even thinking about it. I don't think such a drastic redesign is warranted because of such a minor inconvenience. Seriously, you only have to move your thumb two centimeters. I would understand if it was something even a bit major. I have never heard of anyone, PS user or Xb user, mention "bumping thumbs" as an issue for them.

Like Chark said above, it's one of those tiny differences that you'll inevitably notice when switching between different controllers.

Jay520 said:
selnor said:

It's really a not a big deal. It's so insignificant that most people don't even notice it after playing for a while. (I didn't even know it before you brought it up). Like I said, it only takes a few seconds to grow accustomed to it and after which, it becomes natural without you even thinking about it. I don't think such a drastic redesign is warranted because of such a minor inconvenience. 

Like Chark said above, it's one of those tiny differences that you'll inevitably notice when switching between different controllers.

I do agree there is plenty of truth to your arguement and plays a key factor.

Im 6 foot 5 and have fairly big hands so for me its definately more noticeable. as is the size of te PS3 controller ( especially te 2 prongs that lie in your palms ). My thumbs are fairly long as is my fingers ;).

Yes, analog placement is mostly an issue of familiarity. If it wasn't why would the Wii U pro controller have analogs above the d-pad and buttons horizontally aligned instead of alternate? Especially when their gamecube controller had alternate analogs before the Xbox came out. I think it's a good move by Nintendo, creating an analog placement that will create another preference divide among gamers.

selnor said:
Jay520 said:

???

Except te original PS1. Or did you mean move it.

Its in an unnatural place. Strafing rigt whilst looking left  = bumping thumbs. Its really bad design. Makes sense being were it is on 360, Dreamcast, Xbox, GC, PC controllers etc.

Feels totally natural to me. Symetrical. I prefer it to the other layout. It's a matter of personal preference, I don't think there's one position more natural than the other.