By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people ask God for Forgiveness?

Which God are you referring to?

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Which God are you referring to?

Mainly the Christian God, but I'm sure this is at the very least partially applicable to all Abrahamic religions.

Asking God for forgiveness is only have of it. You also have to amend for your sin. If you steal you must return. If you lie, you must tell the truth. For Catholics, confession serves that purpose. Even if the sin hasn't harmed anyone the priest will assign some penance. The penance could be as simple as a prayer or a number of Hail Marries.

The point of it all is to return to god like the "prodigal son". It's not just about saying sorry. We make mistakes, that is human, but confession is the first part of resolution not to commit it again. It's really just about trying to be better than you were yesterday.

I don't really believe in any god(s), I'm more of an evolution kinda guy. But it makes them feel better. It's kind of like venting, in a way.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

spurgeonryan said:
Course not The 1. Atheist are not bad people, just not people who are going to heaven. Since they do not believe in heaven it does not matter.

This right here is why religion is a joke to me. Saying someone is going to hell, someone you don't even know or probably will never know(in person) doesn't matter because of what they believe, is quite ignorant.

I'm not saying I'm athiest. I actually do think there might be something, "on the otherside", but I don't know for certain, and I'm not going to worship something I don't know or understand, simple as that. 

Around the Network

If I would ever direct myself to the Christian god I'd be like "Hey, I'm a stand right here and watch what you'll do because no matter what I do you'll do whatever the hell you want and to think that I could do otherwise by praying would mean that you are in a quandary where you are waiting for me to make a decision which contradicts that about you having all my life written beforehand."

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

spurgeonryan said:
^ But the atheist who does nothing will still just be going to hell. Not even atheists are perfect.

What is this 'hell' you speak of?

Since I'm an atheist i'd like to know where do you think i'm 'going', why and what is supposed to happen to me there.

Thanks in advance

spurgeonryan said:
setsunatenshi said:
spurgeonryan said:
^ But the atheist who does nothing will still just be going to hell. Not even atheists are perfect.

What is this 'hell' you speak of?

Since I'm an atheist i'd like to know where do you think i'm 'going', why and what is supposed to happen to me there.

Thanks in advance

Wow! Two angry Atheist. I am just saying what Most Abrahamic Relgious folk think. If you do not believe in God, or do something about your sins then you are going to Hell. It is nothing that I am doing or saying about your future friend. It is what God says according to his Bible that he wrote for everyone to read and learn about him. That is if you believe it. Anything else snarky to say? I hope so because I am just DYING to hear all about it. Said with sarcastic tone in my head, because I actually do not care and will never visit this thread again.

Riiiggght.. that's what they all say. You'll be back. They always come back.

P.S. 'Snarky' is not a word.

spurgeonryan said:
Jay520 said:

Riiiggght.. that's what they all say. You'll be back. They always come back.

P.S. 'Snarky' is not a word.

Maybe not on the East Coast or Midwest or whatever you want to call Detroit, but on the West Coast it is most assuredly a word.

I will admit that I have come back. Damn blue icons! They get me almost everytime even if it takes a few days.

LOL...that was too easy.