By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you play online on consoles last generation?

Did you play online on consoles last generation?

Yes, on my own console. 35 35.71%

Yes, but on a friend's console. 7 7.14%

I didn't start until this generation. 46 46.94%

I still don't play online. 3 3.06%

PC is the only way to game online. 7 7.14%

Total:98

Just wondering what the point was - if any - where the people of VGChartz starting gaming online on consoles.

I know the Dreamcast launched in 1999 and was the first real big push for online gaming on consoles, kind of spiritually succeeded by the Xbox in 2001.

Owning neither of these consoles, the whole thing kinda flew over my head at the time.  I had a PS2 and Gamecube but never really had the means to play online -  I realise now I missed the opportunity to play the multiplayer components of quite a few games I'd liked to have tried (Socom 2, TM:Black, Syphon Filter).  Simply, though, my internet connection was dial-up and far from fast enough to realiably play anything.

My best friend, however, had good internet and an Xbox, so I did play Halo 2 at his quite a few times, which was my first experience of online.

So my question to you is: when did you start properly gaming online on consoles, if ever? 

Were you an early adopter of the Dreamcast/Xbox?

Did you only get into it more recently, with the 360/PS3/Wii?

Have you still never really taken up online gaming?

And bonus question to you all: What were your favourite online games of the last generation if you played during it?  What good stuff did I miss out on?

Around the Network

I played Chu Chu rocket and Phantasy Star online. on my Dreamcast. I also used the browser All on a 17 inch tv in SD Resolution.

Lol GameCube didn't have online you silly!
So no, I didn't play online until Wii.
Unless you count web-based flash games on the computer in the early 2000's.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Which is why i think they should HD remake resident evil outbreake file 1 and 2, online was never a main feature in the ps2 days but now its the norm, worth another shot i think

mysticwolf said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube#Online_gaming

Yes it did!

(I didn't know this existed either until I read that, though.  Although I knew PSO was on the GC so I assumed there was some form of online)

Around the Network
mysticwolf said:

Yeah it did. Phantasy Star Online was like the only game though and you needed a Broadband adapter for the GC.

phinch1 said:
Which is why i think they should HD remake resident evil outbreake file 1 and 2, online was never a main feature in the ps2 days but now its the norm, worth another shot i think

Good idea, I completely agree.   People were more than happy to buy Operation Racoon City this gen, so I'd imagine Outbreak 1 & 2 would do quite well.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
mysticwolf said:

Yeah it did. Phantasy Star Online was like the only game though and you needed a Broadband adapter for the GC.

So, basically, it didn't have any online games. 

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
mysticwolf said:

So, basically, it didn't have any online games. 

No =(

yes i did, had a dreamcast but started with xbox to play online. i played halo 2, wolfenstein, rainbow six and few others most of the time online.