By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you play online on consoles last generation?

Did you play online on consoles last generation?

Yes, on my own console. 35 35.71%

Yes, but on a friend's console. 7 7.14%

I didn't start until this generation. 46 46.94%

I still don't play online. 3 3.06%

PC is the only way to game online. 7 7.14%

Total:98

This was really interesting to see. Seems like there's almost a 50/50 split between the people saying "yes" (the first two answers) and people saying "only this generation".

The reason I was asking was because I was wondering whether the console online gaming revolution came slightly too early, with internet speeds unable to keep up. Certainly, that was one of my reasons. But it seems that most people managed to get around this, certain people going as far as to hook up a gamecube to play PSO.  Conversely, some people with Xbox's and Halo 2 didn't connect to XBL at all!

Really interesting to read all your replies anyway, keep 'em coming :)

Around the Network

Over 400 hours put into Socom II. Best online experience still even today. It's a shame Zipper sold out, hopefully Socom I and II get an HD release or remake.

I had a Dreamcast but I couldn't get it to work online. It wasn't a really user friendly experience. I got the DS back in 2004 and my first online experience was Mario Kart DS. Had the timme of my life with that one. I didn't get legit online until I got an Xbox 360 in '07. It was like discovering a new world.

No, only this gen, and still only rarely. Blame PC, that's where I play most of my games, online or not.

Socom and Fifa on PS2 and CS on pc. Best online experience I had last gen.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I had a Dreamcast but I couldn't get it to work online. It wasn't a really user friendly experience. I got the DS back in 2004 and my first online experience was Mario Kart DS. Had the timme of my life with that one. I didn't get legit online until I got an Xbox 360 in '07. It was like discovering a new world.

Snakers ruined MK DS online unless you snaked also.  I refused to snake so it was only fun racing against non snakers.

I played xbox and played Mechassault on my uncles xbox live. That was a one timer though. Now that I think about it I played a lot of PS2 online with Star wars battlefront. That was awesome!

zero129 said:

But really gaming of all types has been slowly dying down for me online or off. I find myself more and more having to force myself to play a game instead of just wanting to play one or when i do want to play a game its only for a few minutes to an hour and then i just get bored with it and turn it off :( .

That's a real shame.  Maybe you just need a bit of a break from gaming for a bit.

Sometimes I have difficulty deciding what to play, but most of the time it's just due to time contraints.  I used to be a big JRPG player, but nowardays I can't seem to find the time to sit for 3-4 hours at a time to get a decent chunk of it done, so I don't bother as much =/

And sometimes, I just don't feel like playing anything despite having the time to :(

i did alot

my god socom series was a beast on ps2, anyone who played the games knows its true such a dedicated online community. one of the first shooters in general on consoles to boom interest in online shooting on consoles since 2002 wow amazing times.. what i give to relive those glory days and simple online times.. still play socom confrontation on ps3 time to time which still has a dedicated community after the whole socom 4 fail released that wasnt even a true socom game..

check out this tv ad for socom 2 featuring the online best tv ad everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

http://youtu.be/ausOKIkYTeg

Buying a PS4 nuff said.