By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OFFICIAL FINAL FANTASY XIV THREAD [Return to Ivalice]

Tagged games:

Ivalice is in FFXIV!?

WTF!? 0 0%

Holyshit! 4 80.00%

Cool 0 0%

Meh. 0 0%

See results 1 20.00%

Total:5
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm not devaluing any issue here Nem, but what you said there actually sounds like its an ATB system. I've explained this before a few times already on separate occasions, and I suggest you take a stab at this news. See source below. Copy and pasted directly from the beta forum.

"■GCD and Planning Time■

Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida: The current implementation of the GCD (Global Cooldown) is a result of our aim to keep things simple while ensuring players can enjoy the game for a long time. Unfortunately for seasoned MMO players, the beginning of the game may seem dull and boring. However, the GCD is in place to give players time to think about what their next move is going to be. I know that the beta test is still somewhat laggy, and you guys haven't had a lot of time to really dig into the game yet, but as you progress in level, your characters will acquire a variety of skills to use in battle. This includes combos, weapon skill and action rotations, debuff skills, and crowd control skills. As you acquire more skills to use in battle, the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is. I hope you all will continue testing and explore the potential of the current system."

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/10993-Development-Team-Post-Compilation-Thread?p=224594&viewfull=1#post224594  (You need to log into the FFXIV:ARR Beta forum to read the full post)

It means the same thing I've been saying all along. Its a core mechanic built into the game, and it works the same way for monsters. Its not a limitation, its a different form of an ATB.

As I've said before, some people on the beta forum are saying the combat is to fast, some are saying its slow, and its definitely not the same like FFXI. I'm not trying to stress you out here. I'm just giving everyone in this thread information they can trust with reasoning, not bullshit.

One more thing. Abilities run on (timers). Weapon skills run on GCD.

Well, he didnt say it was an ATB at all. He said its set to 2.5 seconds cause he thinks players arent good enough to deal with lower cooldowns, even though the most popular MMO in the market for years has had a 1,5 second or less GCD for years.

In essence i disagree with his acession. They are underestimating the players.

I know combos are just the order in wich you use the skills so they arent even an interactive skill. I'm not sure what it is they consider to be abilities but arent these on really long timers of 1m+? In essence i dont understand their decision. Do they really think we will need 2.5 seconds to repeat the same combos over and over and activate support skills? Its too slow. I know the game has fans but i feel like im wasting my time when engaging in a fight in the game. Its so slow and boring. Oh well... i do hope it gets better at higher level.

I understand the point of view if a child or an elderly is playing (or someone who is not usually used to MMO's), but its basically ruining the game to the bigger chunk of players who want a more engaging combat system. Also, even those players will certainly get used to the rotations in a few weeks. Is it really necessary to slow down the whole game for everyone?! :/

But well, you're not the one i should be saying this to. ^^

Around the Network
Nem said:

Well, he didnt say it was an ATB at all. He said its set to 2.5 seconds cause he thinks players arent good enough to deal with lower cooldowns, even though the most popular MMO in the market for years has had a 1,5 second or less GCD for years.

I know combos are just the order in wich you use the skills so they arent even an interactive skill. I'm not sure what it is they consider to be abilities but arent these on really long timers of 1m+? In essence i dont understand their decision. Do they really think we will need 2.5 seconds to repeat the same combos over and over and activate support skills? Its too slow. I know the game has fans but i feel like im wasting my time when engaging in a fight in the game. Its so slow and boring. Oh well... i do hope it gets better at higher level.

I understand the point of view if a child or an elderly is playing (or someone who is not usually used to MMO's), but its basically ruining the game to the bigger chunk of players who want a more engaging combat system. Also, even those players will certainly get used to the rotations in a few weeks. Is it really necessary to slow down the whole game for everyone?! :/

Of course he didn't say it was an ATB system, but that doesn't mean it does not function like one. At the time Naoki Yoshida made that post the GCD was 2.5 seconds. It is now 2.3 seconds.

Overall I feel you're not understanding me, despite all my reasoning and examples, so its best to show you exactly what beta phase 3 is like in the point of view of a lv20 content. Since you didn't participate in recent beta test, or probably didn't level up much and didn't really dig into the game yet, I strongly suggest you take a look. See below. Start at 7:33

As you can tell in the video, the players doesn't look like young children, or like elderly people. There is no need to down play without valid reasoning lol.

I'll tell you right now, the combat is easy to learn, but will be hard to master because you can level up other classes to mix and match abilities. Its not a mindless button smash game.

I recommend you try out beta phase 4, and see the changes first hand for yourself. In closing, this is all I have to say, and if you still think its too slow, then put your concerns in the beta forum in the feedback section.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I leveled up quite a bit. I did the first dungeon on the beta i was in. I think i was around lvl 20 and lvl 25 was the max for the beta.

But yeah i will try to give it a go on the open beta again and see if it feels better.

Nem said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I'm not devaluing any issue here Nem, but what you said there actually sounds like its an ATB system. I've explained this before a few times already on separate occasions, and I suggest you take a stab at this news. See source below. Copy and pasted directly from the beta forum.

"■GCD and Planning Time■

Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida: The current implementation of the GCD (Global Cooldown) is a result of our aim to keep things simple while ensuring players can enjoy the game for a long time. Unfortunately for seasoned MMO players, the beginning of the game may seem dull and boring. However, the GCD is in place to give players time to think about what their next move is going to be. I know that the beta test is still somewhat laggy, and you guys haven't had a lot of time to really dig into the game yet, but as you progress in level, your characters will acquire a variety of skills to use in battle. This includes combos, weapon skill and action rotations, debuff skills, and crowd control skills. As you acquire more skills to use in battle, the 2.5 second GCD won't seem as long as you think it is. I hope you all will continue testing and explore the potential of the current system."

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/10993-Development-Team-Post-Compilation-Thread?p=224594&viewfull=1#post224594  (You need to log into the FFXIV:ARR Beta forum to read the full post)

It means the same thing I've been saying all along. Its a core mechanic built into the game, and it works the same way for monsters. Its not a limitation, its a different form of an ATB.

As I've said before, some people on the beta forum are saying the combat is to fast, some are saying its slow, and its definitely not the same like FFXI. I'm not trying to stress you out here. I'm just giving everyone in this thread information they can trust with reasoning, not bullshit.

One more thing. Abilities run on (timers). Weapon skills run on GCD.

Obviously this style of combat is not going to appeal to everyone, but as Deskpro pointed out, not every ability is tied to the gcd.  Thats what Yoshi p was referring too, that 2.5 seconds is to use skills that arent tied to the gcd while giving just enough time to plan what moves to make next.  I honestly think that this is the best battle system I've played in an mmo, and it is only going to get better once we're able to experience later game content.  It's strategic without being too chaotic, and there are other mmo's out there that seem to feature the type of combat you are looking for.  And while some abilities are on somewhat longer cooldowns, as you level up, you will acquire several of them meaning you will almost always have an ability that you can potentially use when moving from skill to skill, and it is in the timing that you use that skill in conjunction with your combos and positioning etc that will really test the skill of the players.  It is not going to be as easy or boring as you might think, you just have to give it some time.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

PS4 version up for pre order

Around the Network

Emerald Carbuncle.

Topaz Carbuncle.

Topaz can breathe underwater.

Dungeon Diving. Here is a sneak peek of some of them.

Here we have Titan pwnding the Developers.

Here we have the Developer/Producer Naoki Yoshida getting knocked off the edge and falling.

And falling..

As expected from an empire. Gun on everything!

New Benchmark WITH Character Creator!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/