By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 failure rates are reportedly down to PS3 levels, just as the generation comes to a close

I stayed away from X360 until the Halo Reach edition and then quickly went through the backlog of attractive exclusives like Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Gears of War 1-3, and couple of others. I dislike that I have been paying for XBox Live Gold Family when I haven't used it since Skyrim. Will probably use it again soon for Dawnguard expansion and then again for Halo 4.

My Wii was sent in to Nintendo for repair and they sent back a refurbished replacement with new System Code. I lost all my Nintendo Channel stats, friend list, etc. Proved to me that Nintendo System Code nonsense is retarded. I played Wii much less since I got the replacement. It was such a huge pain to friend list originally that I have yet to bother doing that again with the replacement console. Also, after Mario Kart Wii, there hasn't really been any reason to do any online anything on the Wii anyway.

My original PS3 60 GB that was BC fried itself eventually. I never sent it in for repair and just bought a new one (80 GB model that looks like original but no BC) and swapped the hard drive. Lost only time and money... but no data.

Bottom line... have not lost any X360, but have lost a Wii (frustrating with data loss) and a PS3 (expensive but no data loss)

Around the Network
ZaneWane said:
babuks said:
Back in the day, I remember how bad the news was for a machine. But Microsoft managed to make loyal fanbase, even more than Sony and Nintendo, who continuously defended the system.

there are more sony and nintendo defenders on this site and everywhere else

But I am not sure if Sony or Nintendo fans ever defended a faulty machine.

Microsoft wants to prove that they can make a reliable console and convince its users that the RROD won't happen next gen.

What surprises me more is that the PS3 reliability haven't improved at all with miniaturization. If the last graphic in the article is right, the failure rate of the PS3 slim in 2012 is the same as the old fat PS3 in 2009 (same period of time after the launch of each model).

babuks said:
ZaneWane said:
babuks said:
Back in the day, I remember how bad the news was for a machine. But Microsoft managed to make loyal fanbase, even more than Sony and Nintendo, who continuously defended the system.

there are more sony and nintendo defenders on this site and everywhere else

But I am not sure if Sony or Nintendo fans ever defended a faulty machine.

My ps2 broke 2 times i stayed loyal so as my 360 did.

All my friends Ps2 and 360 actually broke more than once so Ps2 had its problems aswell over here so did 360 but Ps3 not so much.

The slims are very reliable. They are also quieter then previous models and the power brick is not as big.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
yo_john117 said:
mantlepiecek said:
I am sure the 360 failure rate decreased in 2010 itself. Highly doubtful it was still 50+% in 2009.

I'm sure that was taking into consideration everyone who had a 360  (a lot of people had the old unrealiable 360's).

If you look at the second graph it looks like the Slim 360 that came out in 2010 is about down to Wii fail levels (about 1.5%)

Basically this.  That's probably why the ps3 figure is on the upswing in 2009.  The 60gbs especially are pretty unreliable, it's just that they managed to hang on for a few years before dying.

The high point in 2010 isn't the new slims dying.  It's older fats.

It's good that both consoles seem to be pretty damn reliable at this point.  Hopefully this won't be an issue next gen.

My fat was bought in November 2007 and died in March 2010.

Chris Hu said:
The slims are very reliable. They are also quieter then previous models and the power brick is not as big.

Slims are so quiet, and damn pretty, the powerbrick is small and doesnt make any trouble. Plus with 250gb i can play all games from HDD.

The slim is obviously completely fine, one of the biggest quality boosts in a home console. But RROD and the XBL service subscription is why I couldn't understand why it sold so well. I could never buy a 360 even though I did end up enjoying my Xbox last gen. If the PS3 wasn't priced higher than the 360 (despite actually being cheaper due to XBL) the 360 would have had a harder time gaining traction. Despite the failure rate 360 had better online day 1 and cross game chat, which after observing this gen are the reasons 360 did so well. Halo was important as well, but that alone didn't sell that many consoles. It was a console software advantage that 360 had for over 2 years with XBL and still has with cross game chat. 360 is the social console this gen.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I have bought 4x360 ...
A launch one which sadly RROD in 2011
A NTSC-J one to play import games (jasper)
2xslim arcade which was on sale for around $120 each on a one day deal (one of them gifted to my father)

The reason why I own 2 is because the ntsc-j one is ultra expensive (customs+tax+shipping is way more than the console itself) and I dont want to RROD the JP console and only play region locked ones with it.

But to be fair my ps3 and wii havent failed on me until now (wii also day1 console)

Chark said:
The slim is obviously completely fine, one of the biggest quality boosts in a home console. But RROD and the XBL service subscription is why I couldn't understand why it sold so well. I could never buy a 360 even though I did end up enjoying my Xbox last gen. If the PS3 wasn't priced higher than the 360 (despite actually being cheaper due to XBL) the 360 would have had a harder time gaining traction. Despite the failure rate 360 had better online day 1 and cross game chat, which after observing this gen are the reasons 360 did so well. Halo was important as well, but that alone didn't sell that many consoles. It was a console software advantage that 360 had for over 2 years with XBL and still has with cross game chat. 360 is the social console this gen.

Xbox Live is well worth the money and Xbox didnt did so hot back in RRoD times...