By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Big Numbers is a Fake

digitalnasties said:
Soleron said:
digitalnasties said:
Soleron said:
digitalnasties said:
i had to remove Steam app from my Pc because of That.

There is a free progame called WinPatrol that you can use to stop progames from running at start up, and can make your PC run faster.

Don't do that.

Go to the search bar, type in msconfig and press Enter, go to Startup tab and untick Steam. 

Why would you run an annoying shareware program at all times to do the same?

Because only an idiot trust windows, WinPatrol monitors your computer for sensitive system changes and alerts you when they happen, i don't see windows doing that, i guess you also don't run firewalls and anti-virus software too because they also come in shareware versions too.

The built in firewall is good enough.

And no I don't run any antivirus because a little common sense plus always having the latest Windows Updates protects against all known malware, except zero-day attacks which antivirus doesn't work against anyway.

That program sounds like it slows your system down as much a virus would, if it polls every part of your system constantly.

What if this Winpatrol is logging your keystrokes and sending them back? Not saying it is, but how would you know?

I don't love Microsoft but I trust them because if they weren't doing their job on security, millions of business customers would be complaining.

That's fine if your on a redundant network, but no way would i connect to the internet without heuristic analysis, but even with the very best security software, there still no existing 100% secure computer connected to the net .

I get the feeling you've read all the Wikipedia articles on this subject but have no experience. Heuristics don't work well and the false positive rate is unacceptably high. I'm not prepared to trade my minimal, clean install of 7~8 processes running for some claim that a program can stop some small percentage of new attacks.

You're right, there's no such thing as 100% secure. Even if you have the best antivirus that's not true.

Around the Network
Argh_College said:

So people like to say here, oh look at Steam put 5 milion concurrent users, thats more than XBL or PSN.

I must say this is a fake, the reason this happen is because when i and more milions of people turn their Pc on Steam begans automatically and we dont even know about it, it happens with me and all my friends who use Steam, i had to remove Steam app from my Pc because of That.

So every time someone with Steam turn on his Pc Steam starts and you dont even know, that explains the awfull statistics in game users.

Current Players Peak Today   Game

50,657 72,493   Dota 2
40,609 57,934   Team Fortress 2
36,426 53,108   Counter-Strike
29,991 58,090   Football Manager 2012
28,169 47,464   Counter-Strike: Source
20,011 35,392   Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
19,693 50,779   Sid Meier's Civilization V
19,010 39,446   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7,874 16,837   Left 4 Dead 2
7,284 12,414   Garry's Mod

Last time i saw alone on Psn their were 350K people on Black Ops, that alone is more than everyone playing on Steam (Games) at the same time.

Probably over 600K at same time on Mw3 yesterday on Xbox Live.

So Steam numers are a Fake and games numbers are awfully low compared to Consoles.

I won't comment on the sillyness of uninstalling steam... I'll just assume you're new to computers.

As for the last statement " That alone is more then everyone playing on Steam (Games). False as well, add up the games. It's quite a bit higher.

digitalnasties said:
Soleron said:

And no I don't run any antivirus because a little common sense plus always having the latest Windows Updates protects against all known malware, except zero-day attacks which antivirus doesn't work against anyway.

That program sounds like it slows your system down as much a virus would, if it polls every part of your system constantly.

What if this Winpatrol is logging your keystrokes and sending them back? Not saying it is, but how would you know?

I don't love Microsoft but I trust them because if they weren't doing their job on security, millions of business customers would be complaining.

That's fine if your on a redundant network, but no way would i connect to the internet without heuristic analysis, but even with the very best security software, there still no existing 100% secure computer connected to the net .

I'm a little bit baffled by the way you're typing / what you're trying to say. You're aware that there aren't just "killer viruses" that are just waiting to infect your computer on notable sites right? It's rather hard to get those type of viruses now, considering the knowledge that people have. 

Finally, for those who have lower end computers. The options you suggest do notably slow down their computer, as these programs eat up quite a bit of RAM and processing power.

pezus said:

Hilarious OP because you had to uninstall Steam to make it stop running automatically on startup. Jesus. And these numbers are fake how exactly?

yeah i also still don't understand why they are fake. they even say you the top hundred and how many players are playing them right now.

and on top of that they also say you the whole number of player playing right now:

784,455 In-Game | 4,882,290 Online

so where are they lying? they say 4.9 million are online with steam and 780k play right now.

pezus said:

Hilarious OP because you had to uninstall Steam to make it stop running automatically on startup. Jesus. And these numbers are fake how exactly?

Mainly because people who have Steam when turn on their pc Steam starts and even if they are not using it, they are online on steam.

So their numbers are fake of concurrent users.

Around the Network
Argh_College said:
pezus said:

Mainly because people who have Steam when turn on their pc Steam starts and even if they are not using it, they are online on steam.

As crissindahouse said, they give out the number of people playing and the number of people online. How is any of the two numbers a lie?

Signature goes here!

pezus said:
Argh_College said:
pezus said:

No, they're not...

And can you please point me to a case where this happened?
"So people like to say here, oh look at Steam put 5 milion concurrent users, thats more than XBL or PSN."

My friends Pc users not here on VGC

OP is hilarious. Uninstalling Steam because you couldn't figure out how to stop it running at the start; it's not exactly rocket science.

The stats aren't lies. They're exactly what they say on the tin/program.

Soleron said:
digitalnasties said:
Soleron said:
digitalnasties said:
Soleron said:
digitalnasties said:
i had to remove Steam app from my Pc because of That.

There is a free progame called WinPatrol that you can use to stop progames from running at start up, and can make your PC run faster.

Don't do that.

Go to the search bar, type in msconfig and press Enter, go to Startup tab and untick Steam. 

Why would you run an annoying shareware program at all times to do the same?

Because only an idiot trust windows, WinPatrol monitors your computer for sensitive system changes and alerts you when they happen, i don't see windows doing that, i guess you also don't run firewalls and anti-virus software too because they also come in shareware versions too.

I get the feeling you've read all the Wikipedia articles on this subject but have no experience. Heuristics don't work well and the false positive rate is unacceptably high. I'm not prepared to trade my minimal, clean install of 7~8 processes running for some claim that a program can stop some small percentage of new attacks.

You're right, there's no such thing as 100% secure. Even if you have the best antivirus that's not true.

Ha, wikipedia and that prick Jimmy wales, one of the first sites on my block list.

Usually half of my PSN friends list are watching Netflix, with another couple doing nothing or watching Hulu.

I'm trying to figure out why any of this matters.