By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Who will be Romney's VP?

Who will be Romney's VP?

Rob Portman: Senator from Ohio 1 3.70%

Tim Pawlenty: Former Governor of Minnesota 2 7.41%

Condoleezza Rice: Former Secretary of State 8 29.63%

Marco Rubio: Senator from Florida 5 18.52%

Chris Christie: New Jersey Governor 1 3.70%

Bobby Jindal: Louisiana Governor 1 3.70%

Paul Ryan: Representative from Wisconsin 1 3.70%

Kelly Ayotte: Senator from New Hampshire 0 0%

Rand Paul: Senator from Kentucky 0 0%

Other: not mentioned 8 29.63%

Total:27

I don't think it really matters who he picks. It is pretty obvious that he is going to lose. I don't even care for Obama. I see very little chance in Romney winning.  I suppose I will vote one more time in the USA before I throw in the towel.  My vote goes to Gary Johnson.

Around the Network

People have to remember too that Romney is really not generating much excitement in the "conservative" realms of the party. Many Libertarians are not fond of him at all either. he almost needs someone who would have the ability to draw from both groups. In this election Romney has to generate more excitement if he really wants to win. I also think he needs interest from more Libertarian leaning voters. a decent number of Libertarians will not support his ticket no matter what. But I think someone like Rand Paul could draw some of them over.

Romney has similar problems to Obama right now. Obama has no where near the electric fainting fever that so many voters had for him in 2008. He ran on the whole "hope and change" slogan and instead all we have had is class warfare rhetoric, ugly chicago style politics, intense division in washington, race bating, an extremely long period of high unemployment, the blame game, a health care law that wasn't wanted but rammed through anyway, and huge increasing budget deficits. Obama is not well liked either.

....in other words get ready for a very ugly negative presidential campaigns on who will be worse as president.

gergroy said:
Allfreedom99 said:
Honestly I think Rob Portman and Tim Pawlenty are much more unlikely to be the choices. As the OP stated they come across as boring in some senses. Plus it would be smart for Romney to pick someone that is unlike him. Portman and Pawlenty seem too similar in many senses to Romney.

Someone with a unique background and with somewhat of a different culture would benefit him. I think Rubio is high on his list. Condi is a possiblity. She certainly is very smart and articulate, but her involvement with the Bush administration could pose some unwanted baggage. Still like BadGenome I would pay money to see Condi in a debate with Mr. Gaffe Machine Biden.

My money is resting on Rubio as Kasz stated. He is popular among many conservative groups and has a very good public speaking talent. Not to mention his parents immigrated from Cuba so that gives him a unique background.

Don't be surprised however if Romney chooses someone noone is thinking about. Consider someone like Susana Martinez, The Republican Governor of New Mexico. She currently has a high approval rating in her state. She apparently has a lot of "spunk" as some would say and has many political stances that would be popular with conservatives. The only problem is she has expressed that she has no interest in being VP.

The problem with rubio is he is just too inexperienced.  If he had at least kne full term of being senator behind him i would say yeah, he might make sense, but he only has two years.  Romney keeps saying that his pick will be somebody with the expierience and ability to be president.  Plus, rubio hasnt really been vetted on the national stage and poses some risks there.  Romney has shown he doesnt take risks, which is why i think it will come down to the boring guys.

That is true. His style tends to be geared to more tested politicians, and the "safe option". in 2008 Mccain tried the "Surprise Out of the Box" approach with Palin. While it generated a lot of excitement in a lot of "conservative groups" and conservative talk radio he still lost big. I don't think anyone could have stopped Obama at that point. Especially since Obama was giving Chris Mathews a "tingling sessassion up his leg".

If Romney wants to win I don't see him have much chance if he picks someone like himself that has been in the public spotlight as a politician. In order to win he has to generate some kind of excitement. He as himself will not generate enough to win unless "Just get Obama Out" croud is large enough which is possible but I don't see it yet. The way it is now Obama's base will go out and vote for him in droves no matter what he is done. The "Get Obama out" crowd will vote for anyone but Obama. That leaves a lot of "on the fence/mushy" independant type voters getting fed up with the ugly campaigns that will transpire and many will just get fed up and stay home. Thats what Obama wants. If that happens Obama wins.

Allfreedom99 said:
Honestly I think Rob Portman and Tim Pawlenty are much more unlikely to be the choices. As the OP stated they come across as boring in some senses. Plus it would be smart for Romney to pick someone that is unlike him. Portman and Pawlenty seem too similar in many senses to Romney.

Someone with a unique background and with somewhat of a different culture would benefit him. I think Rubio is high on his list. Condi is a possiblity. She certainly is very smart and articulate, but her involvement with the Bush administration could pose some unwanted baggage. Still like BadGenome I would pay money to see Condi in a debate with Mr. Gaffe Machine Biden.

My money is resting on Rubio as Kasz stated. He is popular among many conservative groups and has a very good public speaking talent. Not to mention his parents immigrated from Cuba so that gives him a unique background.

Don't be surprised however if Romney chooses someone noone is thinking about. Consider someone like Susana Martinez, The Republican Governor of New Mexico. She currently has a high approval rating in her state. She apparently has a lot of "spunk" as some would say and has many political stances that would be popular with conservatives. The only problem is she has expressed that she has no interest in being VP.

Hopefully he's not one of those screaming anti-Castro Cuban-Americans, though i've never looked into his background. The last thing our foreign policy needs is someone who's just going to stump for keeping that pointless embargo up (Cuba would be democratic now if it weren't for the embargo, which is kept in place almost entirely by screaming Cuban-American immigrants)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

He should pick Rand Paul, that's my first choice.

If you're asking whom he should choose in order to attract independents and conservative Democrats, I would say Joe Lieberman. It would be extremely, almost impossibly difficult for the Obama campaign to dig up any dirt or throw any mud at Lieberman, there would be too much backlash. His reputation for being a nice guy, a centrist, and having a cool head precedes him.

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:

If you're asking whom he should choose in order to attract independents and conservative Democrats, I would say Joe Lieberman. It would be extremely, almost impossibly difficult for the Obama campaign to dig up any dirt or throw any mud at Lieberman, there would be too much backlash. He reputation for being a nice guy, a centrist, and having a cool head precedes him.

That would actually be a strategically good choice. Worse it could do is piss off the far right even more than they already are, but who are they going to vote for?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
sperrico87 said:

If you're asking whom he should choose in order to attract independents and conservative Democrats, I would say Joe Lieberman. It would be extremely, almost impossibly difficult for the Obama campaign to dig up any dirt or throw any mud at Lieberman, there would be too much backlash. He reputation for being a nice guy, a centrist, and having a cool head precedes him.

That would actually be a strategically good choice. Worse it could do is piss off the far right even more than they already are, but who are they going to vote for?

They will click on the vote for all Republicans.  Party line voting is the best way to vote!  Don't even have to do any research on candidates. 

I like your idea about Joe Lieberman though.  It would make the next few months of watching Jon Stewart on the Daily Show awesome.  He does one of the best Joe Lieberman impersonations.

Mr Khan said:
sperrico87 said:

Im not so sure. Pissing off an already pissed off and fired up base would have some interesting outcomes.

Trust me there would be a 60% chance that a small 3rd party would arise. Whether it would be more libertarian leaning or more social conservative type leaning group is hard to say. There are some people that are so very strict with how they vote that they would refuse to vote for a ticket that included lieberman. Many of those people are more socially conservative types like Pro-Life. Im almost certain if Lieberman was the running mate you would have at least 5 to 8% of the republican base voting for a 3rd party ticket. Some people are just that strict in their voting.

gergroy said:

Who do you guys think will be Romneys VP?  Personally, I think Christie would be awesome, but unlikely.  I aslo think Rice would be awesome, but also unlikely.  I think the choice is going to come down between Portman and Pawlenty, both of which are pretty boring.  Of the two I would probably prefer Pawlenty though.  

A few days ago I would have disagreed with you and said Christie would be a poor choice.  However, a few days ago on the Daily Paul blog I saw a video that intrigued me.  Christie was arguing for the abolishment of the War on Drugs, and calling for the release and treatment of all non-violent drug-related offenders.  Which is something I strongly believe would be in our best interest as a compassionate society.  It surprised me because most Republicans, especially with national fame, wouldn't be caught dead speaking the truth about the War on Drugs.   So, I have to say, I would be fine with Christie too. 

Bill Maher ofcourse.