By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mnementh said:

archbrix said:

$299 (or less) is a required stipulation for the bet.  First, I do believe that they will launch for that price, and second, even though $329 or even $349 is realistically not that much more, $299 is still the maximum sweet spot for a mass-market console price.  Many people may choose to wait for price drops if it's higher than that.

In other words, if it retails for higher than $299, I would not be fully confident in my prediction coming true.  So take it or leave it.

Ah, your claim wasn't too unlikely to bein with. Now you added much ifs, that makes the risk even lower. Although I think the WiiU will not be the runaway success the Wii was, I also think the WiiU will have a baseline of sales. I already predicted at this point, it will have 50M lifetime min. (that was a little risky, I hope for a little price and NintendoLand pack-in, and I hope that Namcos launch-titles lead to better Nomco support over lifetime). So yes, 15M are possible at $299, especially as long the competition isn't on the market yet. Nah, too risky to bet at this conditions.

It's true that I didn't specify all of the "ifs" in my very first statement. 

In any case, no harm, no foul.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
dharh said:
archbrix said:
dharh said:

A handheld strategy requires a handheld price. $149-$199 from the start. I cannot see Nintendo being able to do that when they will have a controller that could easily retail for $99-$149 all by itself.

I could believe $99 for the WiiU controller, maybe with added software, but more than that is highly unlikely.  Not a chance it'll retail for anywhere near $149, at least not without Nintendo adding new features.

And you think $99 is a good price for a glorified controller?  What does that say about the overrall price of the WiiU? It just does not fit at all with a handheld strategy. It's still the same old Nintendo console strategy.

The WiiU is likely to launch at 250-300$, bundled with Nintendoland. The handheld strategy I was talking about refered to the games and HW user interface, not as much price.

The only thing in common with the handheld strategy in terms of price is mass market price. Ie, for a new home console, 250-300$ is very affordable. Not so much for a handheld.

So, using the handheld strategy for most other things and pricing the WiiU at 250-300$ is a winning formula. Worked for the Wii, will work for WiiU.

Plus, you don't need to buy a 2nd controller, and imho they are not expensive to manufacture. Nothing in it is anything special when Nintendo has been mass manufacturing handhelds for years, they will be able to optimise manufacturing of the controller in no time. If the 3DS with all its parts is breaking even at 150$, I see no problem in this controller breaking even at half the price. After all, it's a regular controller with a screen and some on-board logic. Nothing really expensive.

just because they can break even at 75 bucks doesnt mean they will sell a standalone controller for that much. This is Ninty and they do sell things for a profit. I fully expect a controller to cost about 90-100, which is expensive for a controller I hope it does a good deal by itself for that price.  IMHO i think 75 bucks is stll to expensive thats 15 more than a current gen controller for another system.

A current gen controller does far less than the Upad.... I actually don't understand why the prices have gone up so much since 2000... I remember thinking it quite expensive that my 2nd GameCube controller was £15..... The only addition an X360 controller has is a battery and wireless tech, yet it's double the price, and a dualshock 3 has accellerometers added for a further £10. (making it £10 more than a Wii remote+ which has gyros and an IR camera, although admitedly no control sticks)

The Upad has everything the DS3 has, plus gyros, a touchscreen, NFC tech, 2 cameras, a sensor bar (admitedly it's just some IR LEDs though), an SD card slot, the ability to act as a TV controller (again probably not an expensive addition for Ninty, but it adds value) and likely a more expensive battery (though with the screen on probably won't last half the time )

$100 is not an unreasonable price compared to other controllers IMO... they definately shouldn't go over that. In terms of parts and manufacturing costs I bet the Upad is a lot more than twice the price of the DS3/X360pad to make, but it won't be much more than twice the RRP.

i actually agree with this, as i said if the U pad does all that cool stuff and a bit more it is worth 100 dollars. But if it doesnt and people only see it as an extra controller, then its going to be a hard sell at 100 bucks, and yes, these gen controllers were damn expensive even the Wii one(with the nunchuck)

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

just because they can break even at 75 bucks doesnt mean they will sell a standalone controller for that much. This is Ninty and they do sell things for a profit. I fully expect a controller to cost about 90-100, which is expensive for a controller I hope it does a good deal by itself for that price.  IMHO i think 75 bucks is stll to expensive thats 15 more than a current gen controller for another system.

But still Oni it doesn't matter because it'll be in case of damage, there is little need for 2 upads this far, and when the need will come it will be a non-required upgrade.

Seriously, the stand-alone buying of upad is not a big deal, remember my words when it comes out.

So there is no software that supports two Wii pads at all?? What about Tekken?, COD?? Well hell then you are right, but then that raises another set of problems that i wont get into right now

oniyide said:

So there is no software that supports two Wii pads at all?? What about Tekken?, COD?? Well hell then you are right, but then that raises another set of problems that i wont get into right now

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. 2 uPads is, from what I understood from e3, not the expected setup. At most those who want to play Tekken 2player local will probs have to buy a CCPro controller.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. 2 uPads is, from what I understood from e3, not the expected setup. At most those who want to play Tekken 2player local will probs have to buy a CCPro controller.

i dont want to be a negative nelly, but thats not good, not good at all. I hope there is some kind of update prior to the new Smash because i dont see this going over well with that game at all.

Around the Network
oniyide said:

i dont want to be a negative nelly, but thats not good, not good at all. I hope there is some kind of update prior to the new Smash because i dont see this going over well with that game at all.

I know... With the Wii we had Cube support, but now peeps have to buy controllers all over again. It's ridiculous. You're right to be not too excited about it.

We'll all need to buy CCPros.

Yes, some of us were able to pull smash off with the WiiChuck, but I always was better with the cube controls. For shame. At least some way to connect cube controllers to the U but ugh, you can't make the U for them.

I suspect most peeps will start with 1 ccpro extra for 2 players, and then friends will bring their controllers as they get more into the game.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

I know... With the Wii we had Cube support, but now peeps have to buy controllers all over again. It's ridiculous. You're right to be not too excited about it.

We'll all need to buy CCPros.

Yes, some of us were able to pull smash off with the WiiChuck, but I always was better with the cube controls. For shame. At least some way to connect cube controllers to the U but ugh, you can't make the U for them.

I suspect most peeps will start with 1 ccpro extra for 2 players, and then friends will bring their controllers as they get more into the game.

This is probably the only game down the line that is making me want Wii U a litttle bit, but if im going to have to jump through hoops i might skip it. Unless the game is REALLY good, im not trying to go through the massive letdown i did with Brawl...I just cant.

oniyide said:

This is probably the only game down the line that is making me want Wii U a litttle bit, but if im going to have to jump through hoops i might skip it. Unless the game is REALLY good, im not trying to go through the massive letdown i did with Brawl...I just cant.

I did not like Brawl, and I am a huge Melee/SSB64 fan. I'm starting to think that Smash has passed its prime but I'm willing to give it another shot. Two players is still very very fun, even at times more so than 4 players (I played so much 1 on 1 at smash it's not even funny).

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

I did not like Brawl, and I am a huge Melee/SSB64 fan. I'm starting to think that Smash has passed its prime but I'm willing to give it another shot. Two players is still very very fun, even at times more so than 4 players (I played so much 1 on 1 at smash it's not even funny).

Man, i really thought i was the only one who didnt like that game. For me it was the absolute horrendous online. There was no excuse for it to be that bad, especially when Ninty's own Mario Kart series online is pretty decent. 

oniyide said:

Man, i really thought i was the only one who didnt like that game. For me it was the absolute horrendous online. There was noexcuse for it to be that bad, especially when Ninty's own Mario Kart series online is pretty decent.

I find Brawl lacked alot of the charm and humor of the entries before it. Still, it had some nice colors, new characters and new moves. But the online was abysmal, even though I have played it a bit lately and with lower expectations it isn't all that bad :P hehe. I enjoyed the game at parties, but nowhere near the enjoyment I had in the 2 entries before it. So no, you're not alone on that one :)

But yeah I'd be okay with buying just one CCPro to play two players for now and upgrade later if needed. CCpros shouldn't be too expensive if the Wii ones are any indicator. I heard the WiiU ones were light so they probs don't have too much internal material, so here's to hoping they'll be 15 to 30$, no more.