By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A HIGGS BOSON PARTICLE FOUND!!!!!!!!!

Seems like a good place to drop this in:

A Higgs Boson Particle walks into a bar and starts preaching. The Bartender asks "What're you doing?!". The Higgs Boson replies "I'm giving Mass"

Around the Network

I was watching the entire video seminar from press release at CERN directly. This made me really proud to be a physics student.

This discovery is on the same level like Einstein's General/Special theory of relativity or E=mc^2. Perhaps even the scientific find of the century. Now with a bit more research we will see how this fits into the standard model and interacts with other bosons and fermions. Maybe we will even get a clue if this new particle relates to dark matter. Good times.

Lay man's terms please. Can anyone sum this up because all I got from that is it cost $10 billion taxpayer dollars for a particle nobody should care about.

Marks said:
Lay man's terms please. Can anyone sum this up because all I got from that is it cost $10 billion taxpayer dollars for a particle nobody should care about.

There are about a dozen theories on the fundamental laws of physics. Some require a particle just like the one just found, some do not. Those in the wrong camp need to find another job, an excuse or a few good drinks now.

Soleron said:
drkohler said:
Dodece said:

Anyway the Higgs field has nothing to do with all of that. It is just something that gives particles mass,

So since the Higgs boson gives particle mass, who or what gives the mass to the Higgs boson?

It doesn't give particles mass. It's existence is associated with the Higgs field that does. That field gives the Higgs boson mass as well.

A particle that creates a field that creates a particle..

(The theory is way more complex to solve this riddle. I did understand about the first three minutes in a discussion with theoretical physicists and "normal" physicists of which I am one).

Around the Network

People have been tweeting about this for a couple weeks, they kept citing 5 sigma and how close they were.

Amazing, the next generation of physics is begins now.

highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:

I heard about this on the news and my feelings about it were dispassionate. A couple of years ago this would have really excited me. This discovery's made me reflect on an enthusiasm I think I've lost.

How come?

I don't really know. It's not that I don't care, I do. I just read this news now and I don't get particularly excited, it's more of a case of "Ok, that's been discovered, let's move on", where before I would want to explain it to everyone and argue about it.

I'm not like that with own field and related fields, I can still get excited about that.

Interesting.

Now slightly off topic, how do you feel about games nowadays? Not much excitement at all, right?

Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:

I heard about this on the news and my feelings about it were dispassionate. A couple of years ago this would have really excited me. This discovery's made me reflect on an enthusiasm I think I've lost.

How come?

I don't really know. It's not that I don't care, I do. I just read this news now and I don't get particularly excited, it's more of a case of "Ok, that's been discovered, let's move on", where before I would want to explain it to everyone and argue about it.

I'm not like that with own field and related fields, I can still get excited about that.

Interesting.

Now slightly off topic, how do you feel about games nowadays? Not much excitement at all, right?

I don't tend to have fleeting interests, if that's what you're getting at. I'm still very much interested in science, as I said. I still read books and lots of papers (heck, I'm in the research game myself). I just don't have the urgency to post about it on forums or bore my friends with it down the pub anymore. To be honest, I feel that attitude was kind of pretentious now. I can, however, talk about my own work for hours on end.

As for games. I now restore and sell retro games/consoles as a profitable hobby, I've been doing that for about a year. I also occasionally play strategy/football management games in my free time. I never completely stopped, console gaming just took a big hit.

highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:

How come?

Interesting.

I don't tend to have fleeting interests, if that's what you're getting at. I'm still very much interested in science, as I said. I still read books and lots of papers (heck, I'm in the research game myself). I just don't have the urgency to post about it on forums or bore my friends with it down the pub anymore. To be honest, I feel that attitude was kind of pretentious now. I can, however, talk about my own work for hours on end.

As for games. I now restore and sell retro games/consoles as a profitable hobby, I've been doing that for about a year. I also occasionally play strategy/football management games in my free time. I never completely stopped, console gaming just took a big hit.

No, I wasn't getting at that. From what I've learned you aren't a fleeting interest guy. I was just curious.

I have to ask you, what was your specific field again? I forgot...

I also got the impression that you stopped gaming almost completely. Not that you're alone in that here on VGC. I think we have many regular members who don't play games at all, or at least they never discuss them.

Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:
Slimebeast said:
highwaystar101 said:

How come?

Interesting.

No, I wasn't getting at that. From what I've learned you aren't a fleeting interest guy. I was just curious.

I have to ask you, what was your specific field again? I forgot...

I also got the impression that you stopped gaming almost completely. Not that you're alone in that here on VGC. I think we have many regular members who don't play games at all, or at least they never discuss them.

Interaction between humans and virtual objects. I think I've sent you a few messages about it in the past. I'll PM you a link to a video explaining my work if you want?

I've not completely stopped gaming, I still kick ass on Football Manager.