By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU Confirmed specs from SDK and GPU info: DirectX 11 features!

This does make the WiiU sound more and more like a 'souped up' X360. And for graphics, you really have to improve it great deal to be noticeable. Twice as much graphic power, will result in a somewhat/slightly better looking game.

I am skeptical about DirectX 11, but, if Microsoft would let them do it, would be a great way to make sure all third party software ran on the system. So developers would basically design for two systems: a DirectX version for Xbox, PC, and WiiU, and a Sony PS3 version.

Nintendo would probably have to share some revenue with Microsoft, but they might win out more in the long run, but taking many games from Sony.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Phil Spencer says the WiiU is on par with the Xbox360
end of discussion

IamAwsome said:
Can someone translate it all to English for me? Is it a decent jump form the PS3/360? And will it shut haters up?

If my understanding is correct, the leap from the current HD twins to the Wii U is a jump comparable to the leap from N64 to Dreamcast. Sure, Sony and Microsoft will probably make more powerful systems, but they will at least be the same generation. The reason ports from the HD twins to the Wii U don'[t look much better is because they're not using entire chunks of the Wii U hardware designed for next-gen graphics.

As for exact numbers, the Wii U has 3 times the RAM as the 360 and about 6 times the memory. So picture at least 3 360's duct taped together.

Will this shut up the haters? No. Think about the difference between the Dreamcast and the original XBox. It was pretty big. Still, the Wii U will probably be able to do everything the PS4 and 720 can, albeit with possibly a lower resolution or framerate.

Love and tolerate.

Those specs are far from astonishing. It looks like it will have 1.5GB of Ram. What type and speed is not known. A 3 core PPC but we don't know at what clock. Internal NAND of 8GB with no HDD option for expansion. That means no game DLs. Sure it has the potential to make games look similar to this gens 360 and PS3, possibly better on some aspects. Based on those specs though, the next Xbox and Playstation will be leagues ahead of it and the GFX comparisons will be very apparent. Not to mention Physics etc.

Rafux said:
ethomaz said:
Nintendo can't use DirectX 11 in their consoles.

And no Unreal Engine 4.

UE3 can use a lot of APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, etc)... so API definitely is not a problem to use EU4 in Wii U... that's just business/market decision from Epic.

Around the Network

3 Game Cube duct-taped.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

With these specs the Wii U is obviously far more powerful than PS3 & Xbox360, but the programmers must use the enhanced features of the Wii U CPU and GPU.

Superman4 said:
Those specs are far from astonishing. It looks like it will have 1.5GB of Ram. What type and speed is not known. A 3 core PPC but we don't know at what clock. Internal NAND of 8GB with no HDD option for expansion. That means no game DLs. Sure it has the potential to make games look similar to this gens 360 and PS3, possibly better on some aspects. Based on those specs though, the next Xbox and Playstation will be leagues ahead of it and the GFX comparisons will be very apparent. Not to mention Physics etc.

@ bolded: It is expandable with an external hard drive. Game downloads go in there, this has been confirmed.

Wow, ninty fans are sure an insecure lot. As you all know, it's the games which make Nintendo great, not the console, so stop hyperventilating every time someone posts some undefined specs on a piece of paper. If the games are there to support the console, that is all that matters. (a price and release date would be nice)

lilbroex said:
IamAwsome said:
Can someone translate it all to English for me? Is it a decent jump form the PS3/360? And will it shut haters up?

The suggest specs suggest that is nearly 3 times as powerful as opposed to the previous belieft of 1.5 and nothing will shut them up. That is what make them haters. They love to hate. If you close one gate, they either pretend that its still opened or go through another one and keep doing the same thing.

Actually the specs don't suggest anything of the sort as it doesn't have clock speeds or the number of shaders in the GPU. Depending on clocks that hardware could be anything from 0.1 to 5 times as powerful, they really say nothing about raw power. They do suggest a basic level of hardware features but nothing really new, it's basically a R700 GPU and a modern IBM CPU which we have known for years. The only new stuff from this feature list (even tho it is an old leak) was the RAM and number of CPU cores. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!