By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U is "effectively a 360" says Microsoft

I believe Microsoft is trying to top Sony's PR. Right now, I actually prefer Sony over Microsoft which is saying a lot.  Actually,  I never really liked Microsoft but my hate for Sony runs deep.  I view the direction that Microsoft wants to take the home consoles (I mean home media center) in a very negative light. 

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

I'll be honest, I did not see anything on the Wii U that a 360 can't handle. But that is about to change soon. The point is the graphical leap is not as big as I thought it would be. The question is if the tablet-controller will be enough to sell the console itself like the Motion-controller did with the Wii.

What of Nintendo's showings make you think the potential isn't there? It's not like they even tried... We'll only know the day Nintendo gives a serious effort and is unable to top TLoU (since ND games are superior graphically to 360 games in general).

BasilZero said:

The only thing I can think of that Nintendo has over Sony and Microsoft and will continue to happen even in future generations is that the first party titles such as Mario and Pokemon, the selling power and the uniqueness that divides it from all the other games made by everyone else.

Third party wise, I think its fair to say that the Wii-U's third party software will be similar to PS3/Xbox360 and vice versa, excluding a few low budget exclusives and lesser known/new franchises that will be exclusive here and there (but hey every system gets those).

How would you know though Basil. You're projecting the Wii business past onto the WiiU. We see the 3DS being used fully by games like MH4. Why will the same not be happening on WiiU? What if devs choose to strongly support the U this time around (I personally really see it happening). Remember, year 0 Nintendo is pulling off gen 7 graphics. It's only a matter of time before the console shows its true strength.

Either way, the assumptions against it are too strong, and we don't know what Sony and MS will come up with. In terms of the unit itself, we don't know how powerful it is because I doubt Sony will want to 599US$-ize itself this coming gen.

happydolphin said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I'll be honest, I did not see anything on the Wii U that a 360 can't handle. But that is about to change soon. The point is the graphical leap is not as big as I thought it would be. The question is if the tablet-controller will be enough to sell the console itself like the Motion-controller did with the Wii.

What of Nintendo's showings make you think the potential isn't there? It's not like they even tried... We'll only know the day Nintendo gives a serious effort and is unable to top TLoU (since ND games are superior graphically to 360 games in general).

your post is useless after you read the 2nd sentence of my post.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

I read the second sentence. Then you go with "The point is the graphical leap is not as big as I thought it would be." 

So my post is no longer useless, but is meant to show that yours was. We just don't know yet, since nothing is showcasing the power of the WiiU yet. How is this hard to understand?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I read the second sentence. Then you go with "The point is the graphical leap is not as big as I thought it would be." 

So my post is no longer useless, but is meant to show that yours was. We just don't know yet, since nothing is showcasing the power of the WiiU yet. How is this hard to understand?

?!

The graphical leap is not as big as I thought it would be, but this is about to change soon with later titles. This is my point. What is yours?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Seems microsoft fears the Wii U. If MS will loose as much money with the Xbox3 as with the Xbox360 than it could e the end of the Xbox.

z101 said:
Seems microsoft fears the Wii U. If MS will loose as much money with the Xbox3 as with the Xbox360 than it could e the end of the Xbox.

Sorry brah, but the 360 is a profitable undertaking now get your facts right.

OT: Well even MS seems to agree with many that it is finally doing what Sony and MS did years ago. Not worth getting upset because people consider it unfashionably late and sober to a drunk party.

crissindahouse said:

i believe companies like microsoft or sony can get informations of the competitions products very easy if they really want. i still believe wii u will get better looking games, at least some exclusives over the next years will look better.

yea, when/if the Wii U is maxed it's games will most definitely look superior to anything we have seen on PS360

it's initial games probably will look similar to those though, maybe with some added AA/AF/dx 10/11 effects and a real 720p native res instead of sub HD resolutions

BasilZero said:
Lafiel said:
crissindahouse said:

i believe companies like microsoft or sony can get informations of the competitions products very easy if they really want. i still believe wii u will get better looking games, at least some exclusives over the next years will look better.

yea, when/if the Wii U is maxed it's games will most definitely look superior to anything we have seen on PS360

it's initial games probably will look similar to those though, maybe with some added AA/AF/dx 10/11 effects and a real 720p native res instead of sub HD resolutions

What do you mean by Max? The technology will be there available as soon as they receive developmental kits to design games for the Wii-U.

How they bring about the game will be dependent on the developer, although they would have to be pretty dumb to make a downsized Wii-U version of a multiplatform game that is available on the PS3/Xbox360 at least in terms of visuals, contentwise is a different issue (i.e. AC3 for the PS3 is compatiable with the PSVita version to unlock certain stuff/Wii-U version with better minimap support).

I mean when devs know all the little details how to bring out the most of the hardware. Every architecture has it's strength and it's weaknesses and devs need to learn those to really push the graphics a system is able to output to it's "max".