By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is 'milking' considered inherently bad amongst gamers?

Jay520 said:

I don't think milking automatically causes diminished sales or quality. Last generation for example there were way more IPs on annual release schedules. Grand Theft Auto, Hitman, Ratchet & Clank, etc released annually and are considered to have stayed high quality. (Except for Deadlocked in the R&C series). I do agree that multiple entries per year will cause issues, but those cases are so rare, I didn't think they were relevant.

If you look, you'll see that I never actually said that "milking" means "releasing a lot of titles". Annual release schedules aren't an issue, so long as quality isn't allowed to diminish as a result. Indeed, you could release a new title in the same franchise every month, and still not be truly milking it, if there's strong quality and continued innovation to keep the games from becoming just more of the same.

Essentially, there are three elements to consider when trying to decide whether a franchise is being milked:

1. Frequency of release - when a franchise sees a significant ramp-up of release frequency in a consistent manner (two games in one year, once, is not a ramp-up, it's an anomaly), it's usually due to a developer/publisher trying to get as much as they can out of that franchise.

2. Use of gimmicks - "Guitar Hero: Van Halen" (Because they couldn't just have a Van Halen track pack) is a strong demonstration of this. Rather than coming up with actual new content, they go with easy-to-implement, trivial gimmicks that are more about being able to put it on the box than actually innovating. Let me be clear, here, that if it's just something within the game that does things a bit differently (like motion in Super Mario Galaxy), that's not a gimmick. A gimmick is where it's something added to be listed on the box (you wouldn't see "Swing your Wiimote to attack" on the Super Mario Galaxy box) - think "Become a Van Halen cover band, play all of their songs!".

3. Sales downturn - when a franchise is being milked, the sales always turn downward per game. This downward turn is a strong sign that they're flooding the market with similar games, because people will only buy one of the entries, and sales will be split significantly... but for a short time, total sales across all entries will be a little higher, which is what they're going for by milking the franchise.

The term should have a negative connotation. As far as I'm concerned, the terms should be a reference to "Milking it dry" - that is, milking until there's nothing left. Which is why I don't consider CoD to currently be a case of milking, despite being an annual release that trades on its name to help boost sales.

As I noted, there's just signs that Activision are starting to think about milking it. That they took Sledgehammer Games off their spinoff title in order to have more people working on their main one tells me that they're not quite there, yet. But I suspect that they'll begin to milk it in a couple of years. Indeed, I'm going to make the call - after a slight downturn in sales in 2013 (which will mostly be driven by lack of same management at Infinity Ward, combined with competition from the new company they made at EA), Activision will have Sledgehammer Games finish off their spinoff, and at least one other CoD title will be announced as well. There will be three different CoD titles in 2013, I predict, and none will sell as well as World at War did, let alone any of the more recent ones.

I could be mistaken on this prediction. But Activision's track record hasn't been good.

Around the Network

I consider games like GH and Marvel VS Capcom 3, milked. When a franchise either omits stuff, for the sake of a better version later. Or there's a million versions coming out the same year.

So for me it falls down to a few things: Quality, version amounts, pricing, and broken promises. If the game falls into these areas. And screws them up, It's milked.

SSF4 is milked

I find the definition of milking to be, "When the frequent releases of a product cause over saturation, declining sales, andor consumer disinterest and frustration."

Milking is not a good business practice and deserves to be used in a snide manner. Milking, as stated by several in this thread, is done for short term gains, often at expense of the long term.

GH and RB are great examples. It wasn't long after the sales decline the activision and viacom closed production. These two games really need to be case studies for the milking and the damage it does. What is sad is EA and Activision look to repeat history with battlefield and Call of Duty.

Capcom has milking down to a science sadly. Look at SF4, we see decreasing sales at each revision however each game was probably financially successful. When SF5 comes out it will bring back consumer confidence and the whole thing starts over again.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

I think most games that release annually go down in quality, just look at assassin's creed, only been downhill since the first game. What was once a fresh, cool great looking game, is now a ugly, tired, repetitive, boring game.

Around the Network

I think its bad in a sense where it shows a lack of creativity or ability to create something new. That said, there are plenty of ways companies mixes things up to keep it fresh. That's all they need to do really.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

metalmonstar said:
I find the definition of milking to be, "When the frequent releases of a product cause over saturation, declining sales, andor consumer disinterest and frustration."

Milking is not a good business practice and deserves to be used in a snide manner. Milking, as stated by several in this thread, is done for short term gains, often at expense of the long term.

GH and RB are great examples. It wasn't long after the sales decline the activision and viacom closed production. These two games really need to be case studies for the milking and the damage it does. What is sad is EA and Activision look to repeat history with battlefield and Call of Duty.

Capcom has milking down to a science sadly. Look at SF4, we see decreasing sales at each revision however each game was probably financially successful. When SF5 comes out it will bring back consumer confidence and the whole thing starts over again.

well to be fair every rerelease was cheaper than the last, but i could see how some were annoyed

Jay520 said:
Dodece said:
Milking can be described as putting forth the least effort possible for the greatest possible gain. Which in the case of game development usually means that a developer is cloning their previous game, and making only enough changes to get away with what they are doing. The time frame is pretty irrelevant as far as the workmanship is concerned, but it does make milking far more obvious to the casual observer. After all when installments are a few years apart it is much easier to miss the duplication. Then if the two games were just a year apart.

Milking is entirely detrimental, and in no way should be condoned. Even by ardent supporters of a game series. For one simple reason. There is a more common usage of the term, but it is keenly in the minds of those that are applying it to a game series. It is a term used to describe abusing the system, or unjustly taking advantage of the system. There are few things that rile people up more then the notion that someone is cheating to get ahead, or even think they can cheat us into getting what they want.

This is fundamentally human psychology. We expect and demand reciprocity of a equal nature. We expect to get the same rewards for the work we put out as another, and we expect the other to work just as hard as we do to get their rewards. Be honest if you go to work, and your coworker fucks around for ninety percent of the time, and still draws the same pay as you for months and years. You really start to hate that person don't you, and even if you understand how fruitless that hate is your still going to have that hatred burning you up inside.

Developers milk properties, because it is both quick and lucrative. They can make a lot of easy cash fast. That has a downside though. In that they generate a lot of ill will directed not only at the series being milked, but at the developer who is doing the milking. Their short term success is usually costing them their good reputation with the people they need to buy their products. It is like slash and burn farming. Sure you get a bumper yield for a few years, but after that you got a wasteland to try and make a living off.

I suppose the irony of it all is the people pointing the finger aren't the problem. They are usually the people who are doing the right thing. Even though it may not feel that way right now. They are demeaning a developer in the hope that the developer will see the error of their ways, and return to the honorable path. The problem is those people that defend a milked series right up until the point that everyone finds in obscene. You really shouldn't defend the indefensible. It is wrong to misuse a franchise, and buying into it is like feeding a addiction that in the end is going to kill the series off altogether. Developers that milk get addicted, and if you let it continue on long enough then it becomes virtually incurable.

I've always thought milking was simply releasing a lot of games within a short time. Since I've seen a lot of people say X game is milked even when the series has been high quality. People also say a series is becoming milked when a new game is announced yet hasn't been released. For example "Halo 4 and 5 are already announced? Microsoft is milking Halo!". In this example, the games haven't even released, yet people are still calling it milked. That's why I don't think the term is tied to quality, just release frequency. And even if that's not the popular definition of milked, its the one I'm referring to, as noted in the OP.

The answer is rhetorical based upon your answer. A lot of people are really stupid. You should pay them no mind really, because anyone who doesn't take the time to do a subjective analysis isn't someone who has a opinion that matters.  You should give as much credit to rabbid fanboys as you give to that crazy guy on the corner. The truth is there are a lot of people that missuse the term, and frankly abuse the term. Effectively they are milking the term milking. Remember what I said in my opening paragraph. Minimum effort for the Maximum gain. It doesn't take much effort to use a single word as the entirety of your argument, but the slur itself has maximum impact. Anyone who tells you numbers equal milking. Is Someone who doesn't actually have a case to make. Reasonable posters will seldom use the term, and if they do they make damn sure to back it up with something more substantial.

It's not just gamers it's a trait of humanity.

It's literally the word indignation.

People get really agitated about the though of being treated unfairly. When the riots in Egypt became mainstream news, there were many analysts who tried to explain why the riots erupted. The cause was the feeling that people were suffering at the benefit of someone else ( I forget the specifics). It turns out many riots or revolutions have similar beginnings. Being starving and poor is not enough. Being starving and poor while someone else profits from your suffering makes people rise to action.

Basically being milked is thought of unfair treatment to that person for whatever reason.