By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games overhal Sega's 4 Million Claim ???

Back in sepctember -

"Masanao Maeda, a corporate director at Sega's gaming unit, forecast that the title will sell 4 million units, although he didn’t specify a timeframe for achieving the milestone."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7234&Itemid=2

As of now M&S has sold about 2.5 million WW and is shifting another 100-125K/week. 4 million is very much possible and it might overhaul that target once the Olympics Festivities gets into high gear.

I sorely miss the online/Wi-Fi play option from the Wii version Totally inexcusible on Sega's part.

With the DS version to be released soon, the franchise could hit 8-10 million combined sales. 

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

What will be next in the Mario and Sonic franchise, perhaps football?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Don't forget Sega later said they meant 4 million for the Wii AND DS versions.

They're halfway there with one version already. And they can do a "relaunch" in time for the Olympics to boost sales again.

They'll hit 4 mil easy.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I think the important question to ask is 8-10 million a bigger number than 4 million.  If the answer is yes; then, Sega will reach their claim of 4 million.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

I think the way sales have took off it's very possible we'll get a revamped and relaunched version right before the olympics.

They've probably left out several events and online play so they can do just that.

Around the Network

Obviously SEGA will beat their expectations.

I doubt there will be many Mario and Sonic games, though. With the way Mario spin-offs sell, they don't need to have Sonic in them. Hopefully we'll just see a Winter Olympics game in two years (SEGA should be able to keep the liscense due to the sales of M&S), and maybe a Mario vs. Sonic platformer of some sort.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

yes SEGA has a huge shot at making it to 4 million,with the wii version alone

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Considering the Olympics is this a ways off, and that'll boost sales further, 4m is definately in the bag on the Wii version alone.

yes... with the Wii version alone. It will sell solid all year (about 50-70k WW a week) and be around 3.5 million going into next christmas(with an olympics boost figured in) This title appears to be a BIG CMas seller so it should crack 4 mil by the end of Next holidays. It will sell 2.5 million LTD in other alone.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

^50k a week would mean it will sell 2.5 million this year,not 1 million

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"