By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who are your favourite development studios ever, and why?

Kresnik said:
DyranLK said:
In no particular order:

1.) Valve

2.) Bethesda

3.) Maxis

4.) Sucker Punch

5.) BioWare

6.) Naughty Dog

7.) Rare (when it was in its prime, anyway)

8.) Bungie

9.) Rockstar North

10.) Ubisoft Montreal

That's quite an interesting one.  I love Sucker Punch too, but that's pretty high up your list!  Any particular reason?  Huge fan of Sly and Infamous? :)

Oh, actually, that wasn't meant to be in order from greatest to least in quality, lol; I had just decided to number it from 1 through 10 in order to keep it somewhat organized, like so, but, uh, I guess that provided some misinterpreted implications, 'ey. :P

Honestly, though, I really liked Sucker Punch because of their Sly series, since I thought it captured the tone of a cartoon-ish, comic-book-fashioned  video game story extremely well, and the diverse, open-world gameplay was also something I found pretty addictive. When inFamous then came out, I thought it was another great treat from the developer, and I quickly became a fan.

All in all, though, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog took up a large portion of my fond platforming PS2 memories (and in ND's case, the PS1 as well), so I really give 'em credit for that. Of course, that then prompts the question, "Wait, how about Insomniac??", which I'm distinctly aware of (xP); honestly, though, while I've only played one of their games, I still hold a considerable level of respect for them as well, considering their close bond and altruistic rivalry with Naughty Dog -- however, for whatever reason, most of their games simply passed me by (Spyro was excellent, though), and I wasn't able to get into them throughout the relentless pace of gaming back then. To make up for that, I've been keeping a close eye on Overstrike and any other Overstrike-related news, since, so far, it looks like another hilarious and solid installment from the company; in the meantime, though, who knows? If a Ratchet and Clank HD collection is ever released, I'll gladly go out and buy it, as long as I got the time. I've always felt awkward any time someone asks me a question pertaining to both the Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter series and I have to reply stating that I haven't yet played the former, anyway, lol.

Around the Network

Gonna have to say Valve, Rockstar, Insomniacs, and Gameloft.

happydolphin said:

Great idea

A few rare exceptions of these I haven't played and included because they made the platform better.

Rareware: Perfect Dark, Conker's BFD, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, just so many great memories.

Hal Laboratory: Smash Bros 64, Smash Bros Melee, Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby's Adventure

Capcom: Megaman, Street Fighter, Zelda OoA

Konami/Ultra games: Castlevania, some great NES games.

Nintendo R&D1: Metroid, Super Metroid, Mario Land, Dr. Mario, Tetris, Duck Hunt, Mario Bros., Donkey Kong.

Nintendo R&D3: Punch-Out!!

Nintendo EAD: The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario., F-Zero, SimCity, Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Wii Series

Team Ico: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus

Naughty Dog: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Blizzard: Warcraft II, Diablo, Starcraft, Diablo II, Warcraft III, Starcraft II, Diablo III

Squaresoft: Final Fantasy

Tecmo: Ninja Gaiden (NES Classics)

Neversoft: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Sierra: King's Quest, Space Quest, Jones in the fast lane.

Oh god, Neversoft (Call of Duty)...Rare (Kinect).. *sheds a single tear*

Nintendo EAD: simply, the best
Intelligent Systems: Every game is Master Works
Square: God of RPGs

3DS friendcode: 2836 - 0151 - 1371

DyranLK said:

Oh, actually, that wasn't meant to be in order from greatest to least in quality, lol; I had just decided to number it from 1 through 10 in order to keep it somewhat organized, like so, but, uh, I guess that provided some misinterpreted implications, 'ey. :P

Honestly, though, I really liked Sucker Punch because of their Sly series, since I thought it captured the tone of a cartoon-ish, comic-book-fashioned  video game story extremely well, and the diverse, open-world gameplay was also something I found pretty addictive. When inFamous then came out, I thought it was another great treat from the developer, and I quickly became a fan.

All in all, though, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog took up a large portion of my fond platforming PS2 memories (and in ND's case, the PS1 as well), so I really give 'em credit for that. Of course, that then prompts the question, "Wait, how about Insomniac??", which I'm distinctly aware of (xP); honestly, though, while I've only played one of their games, I still hold a considerable level of respect for them as well, considering their close bond and altruistic rivalry with Naughty Dog -- however, for whatever reason, most of their games simply passed me by (Spyro was excellent, though), and I wasn't able to get into them throughout the relentless pace of gaming back then. To make up for that, I've been keeping a close eye on Overstrike and any other Overstrike-related news, since, so far, it looks like another hilarious and solid installment from the company; in the meantime, though, who knows? If a Ratchet and Clank HD collection is ever released, I'll gladly go out and buy it, as long as I got the time. I've always felt awkward any time someone asks me a question pertaining to both the Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter series and I have to reply stating that I haven't yet played the former, anyway, lol.

Ahh.  It's interesting how certain developers and series slip by people.  I must admit, Sly Cooper went past me completely un-noticed during the PS2 era (I only got around to playing the collection on the PS3) while Jak and Ratchet were main-stays in my console throughout those days.

Luckily for you, there is a Ratchet HD Collection for the PS3 - in fact, it's out now if you live in Europe.  I'd certainly recommend it, my preference in the PS2 days was always with Jak, but I'd call myself a bigger fan of Insomniac these days just because they've spent so long perfecting the art of the collectathon 'platformer'.  Plus, you can really feel Ratchet's influence in the second and third Jak games :P.  Overstrike looks good too!

Around the Network

1. Rare before 2002 - they often came out with multiple major hits per year, revolutionized gaming software multiple times in their history, and perhaps the best non-first party gaming studio of all time.

2. Enix - Terranigma, Illusion of Time, Soul Blazer, Dragon Quest series, E.V.O. Etx...

3. Nintendo - Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Earthbound, Fire Emblem.

4. Square - Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger (with Enix), Mystic Quest/FFA, etc...

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Kresnik said:
To all the people who have said DICE, a quick question: Are you a fan of their continued work on the Battlefield series, or do you follow all their other projects too? (i.e. Mirror's Edge)

I'm a Battlefield fan, and I choose them mainly for that, though I like Mirror's Edge also. 

Nintendo: Because they're Nintendo.

Game Freak: They make Pokemon which kind of made everyones childhood a childhood... that's a good enough description.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are just awesome. (RPG's in general are actually.)

Over the long haul:

Nintendo - Of course, for all of the iconic characters and games they have contributed to video games as a whole. 

Atlus - Just seeing their name on the cover of a game has usually assured me that I will enjoy it.

More Recently:

Bioware - They have created some pretty immersive open world rpgs.

If you asked me about 15 years ago:

Koei - I used to love their Historical Simulation Series before they reverted into an almost Dynasty Warriors only developer.  I was pleasantly surprised when they released Bladestorm though.

Squaresoft (now Square Enix) - I greatly enjoyed the first several Final Fantasy games, but they also used to develop other great RPG's like Secret of Mana.  Now, it seems like they are just interested in milking their cash cow (FF).

Same top 3 as always......................

Just picked one game from each franchise.

1. SEGA (Top 3 games........ Shenmue, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
2. Capcom (Top 3 games........ Street Fighter II, Onimusha 2, Resisent Evil 2)
3. Nintendo (Top 3 games........ Super Mario world, Super Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Melee)

Honourable mentions.......... Konami, Namco, Tecmo, Neversoft, Rockstar, EA, E.P.I.C.