By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I have issues with Jesus fanboys....

We are all human and there is no changing that. Even though someone may believe in Jesus and be a good follower, it is impossible to live without sin, or be perfect. That is the whole point of Christianity.

Let me just leave this here.

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:

We are all human and there is no changing that. Even though someone may believe in Jesus and be a good follower, it is impossible to live without sin, or be perfect. That is the whole point of Christianity.

I see that, and will raise you "Seen and Not Heard":

PDF said:
Im a little confused, at least with the second part. Whats that have to do with Jesus, he just seems like a bad dude. People are not perfect and because he loves Jesus doesn't mean he has to be.

On the flip side I am not a big fan of atheist fanboys. They seem to run rampant on the interwebz. I guess that is still better than the religious fanatics who are out in the real world. (like those "find out if your going to heaven or hell" people at fairs, scaring people is not the way to make them love Jesus!!!)

Such individuals were probably like that when they were religious.  Then, they decovert and are still the same annoying people they were before.  

richardhutnik said:
WiiBox3 said:

How can I disagree with Petra?

BasilZero said:

Has nothing to do with being Christian or not.

There are horrible people in this world regardless of religion, race, etc.

Unfortunately for you, you encountered one, one of the bad things about being human/living in this world I guess.

Also lol @ title - guess there are ways to bypass the "rules" of this site ;p

I have known him for years.  Well, I have known a number of people for years actually, and begin to see, in pressing times, you see how people are.  I guess now I am not putting up with stuff.  And for me, it does have things to be doing with Christians.  If the behavior has nothing to do with being Christian, or beliefs or attitudes, I consider then Christianity really isn't worth anything.  There should be some difference.  I had asked people this question, for example: Should Christians glow in the dark?

As for the last line, I guess it depends on how it is handled.  I could of gone worse with this, but made it more of a personal issue, and allowed some airing of some religious issues stuff that does pop up here.  People do have issues with the Christian religion and people who claim to be Christians.  And this has manifested more recently for me.

Around the Network
WiiBox3 said:
richardhutnik said:
WiiBox3 said:

How can I disagree with Petra?

I think it is time to call and split the pot, as it were.  Pardon the poker references, I am just designing and playtesting some variants on poker now.  The video is around what I had been saying.

^ I agree with Basil. We are human first, then religious second. Yes people who follow a religion should try to show that through their actions and behavior, but it doesn't make sense to criticize a whole group of people based on a few. Or a religion based upon some of the people that follow it or say they follow it.

WiiBox3 said:
^ I agree with Basil. We are human first, then religious second. Yes people who follow a religion should try to show that through their actions and behavior, but it doesn't make sense to criticize a whole group of people based on a few. Or a religion based upon some of the people that follow it or say they follow it.

I have issues here, because my understanding of the Christian issue is that the "No True Scottsman" fallacy isn't supposed to apply to the Christian faith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

In this, Christians should be different somehow, in a good way, because supposedly they have God in their life, and that is supposed to enable them to act properly as salt and light.  Yes, people can fall short, and it can be hard to tell when someone is faking it.  It is supposed to be more of what God does through someone, than what they do on their own.  At least that is what I make out of the New Testament texts.  But, apparently so many people fall so short, you have cases of where Ghandi ends up not being a Christian, because he said he couldn't find any, and you have the likes of Ann Rice who says she would remain a committed to Christ, but not be considered a Christian.

If people admire Jesus, they consider him a kind of role model, they want to be more like him and try to act more according to his moral teachings. And that already implies that they don't always do.

So don't expect people to be saints just because they're religious. They are humans just like you and me, most religious people are morally hardly any better or different than others, but at least many of them actually try to be "better people", and that's something I have respect for.

richardhutnik, do yourself AND the guy who borrowed your video game a favour and tell him honestly how you feel about his behaviour. I see a good chance he'll think about it and behave better in the future, which would be a win-win situation. Maybe he isn't even really aware what a bad impression some of his bad habits make?

And if you're afraid of looking like a woman/gay talking about your feelings or he is too unregenerate, play a funny little mental trick on him: Next time you see him, put on a very serious face and say something like:
"Hey, really glad to see you! I guess you know that I usually don't care much about Jesus, god and all that stuff, but something strange happened to me: Last night in my dream Jesus came to me and wanted to borrow video game XY, but I had to tell him that it's not possible because you have it. He asked me when you would return it, but I just couldn't tell him, at which point Jesus got quite upset. I'm quite confused, I don't know what to make of this. What do YOU think?"

If you can tell this credible, it should make him think and have an effect on him. He'll either get worried that Jesus might now be angry at him for not returning the game on time, or he should at least realize how pissed you are.

Thing is that it isn't myself that labels Christians as different. It is apparently what the Bible says about Christians that make them supposedly different. And when I ended up, going from agnosticism to following Christianity again (was raised in the Catholic Church), in the 1980s, it was under the context I presumed what I clearly read in the Bible would stand out as showing this.

The reality here is, he falls into the user category, does nothing of help for me, and just borrows stuff. In these cases, there is time not to waste on such a person, who chooses to not make himself available, and just move on. But that still doesn't mean there isn't a lot of other things out there, and people who fall way short. I just need to learn from it and move on myself, as I see I need to be. I just give him as one example.