By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does 3DS Not Sell Too Well In The West?

Tagged games:

rogermoore said:
Something´s wrong here. 3DS is a fenomenon in Japan, for sure, it doesn´t sell so well in the west but still it´s the best selling handheld right now. In the USA its weekly sales are superior even by PSV and PSP combined! So not every western consumer either care or is aware of technical specs.
We have to agree, though, that in Japan the offering of 3DS games is way better than in the West. But there´s some blame in the western audiences too, because Japan loves strategy/rpg/simulation games that doesn´t appeal to consumers here. Why didn´t they released Prof Layton, MH3G, Fire Emblem in the west on the go, like Capcom did with RE: revelations or Konami´s MGS:SE ? It wasnt just for localization, it´s just that they know those kind of games don´t usually sell well in the West and opted to wait a formation of a better consumer base before lauching them.

Yeah, but a market needs to be created and well cured. Maybe the local marketing is off, maybe some of these games aren't targetted to the right communities, things like that.

Back in the SNES days, these were the games NA gamers used to buy.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
lilbroex said:
teigaga said:
MDMAlliance said:
One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

Vita does have more potential as a gaming system :)

No, it doesn't. The only thing Vita adds to games is more polygons/cost. Same old, same old. The 3DS adds 3D. It adds uniqueness. It adds an entire style of and method of playing games that simply isn't possible on VIta.

Well I personally don't value 3D and although the DS saw some cool aplications for the dual screen, very few of them actual appealed to me. But now alot of those same experiences can be replicated the Vita's touch screen. I just feel like the vast majority of games I want to play on the 3DS would be better on the Vita, what 3DS titles do you play that you feel can't be done on the vIta and do you think they would be worse?

I think Sony would struggle to get all the Nintendo published games to work on the Vita, what with all the lawsuits for copyright infringement and everything else.

VGChartz

Actually, I would also like to add that the whole "potential gaming device" argument, if that were really a valid use for which system is ultimately "better" then wouldn't Nintendo have spent more to make a more expensive console? That's probably not what you were saying, but Nintendo is capable of making powerful consoles. It's all about price.

milkyjoe said:
teigaga said:
lilbroex said:
teigaga said:
MDMAlliance said:
One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

Vita does have more potential as a gaming system :)

No, it doesn't. The only thing Vita adds to games is more polygons/cost. Same old, same old. The 3DS adds 3D. It adds uniqueness. It adds an entire style of and method of playing games that simply isn't possible on VIta.

Well I personally don't value 3D and although the DS saw some cool aplications for the dual screen, very few of them actual appealed to me. But now alot of those same experiences can be replicated the Vita's touch screen. I just feel like the vast majority of games I want to play on the 3DS would be better on the Vita, what 3DS titles do you play that you feel can't be done on the vIta and do you think they would be worse?

I think Sony would struggle to get all the Nintendo published games to work on the Vita, what with all the lawsuits for copyright infringement and everything else.

lol, you've completely missed the point. I'm talking about hardware and whether its a better system for developers to create the best quality. 

teigaga said:

lol, you've completely missed the point. I'm talking about hardware and whether its a better system for developers to create the best quality. 

I don't think it's a good idea to argue this point.  It's offensive to those who own the system because it's like telling them "you own the inferior device."  If you look at raw power, then yes the Vita is better.  If you look at creative posibilities, it's hard to tell and it could go either way (depending on how useful the Vita's rear touchscreen is).  Both devices are capable of playing games of great quality, the Vita tends to be able to play them in HD and may be able to run certain things the 3DS can't.  This difference is actually quite small when it comes down to the device as a whole, though.  

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
teigaga said:

I don't think it's a good idea to argue this point.  It's offensive to those who own the system because it's like telling them "you own the inferior device."  If you look at raw power, then yes the Vita is better.  If you look at creative posibilities, it's hard to tell and it could go either way (depending on how useful the Vita's rear touchscreen is).  Both devices are capable of playing games of great quality, the Vita tends to be able to play them in HD and may be able to run certain things the 3DS can't.  This difference is actually quite small when it comes down to the device as a whole, though.  

Why would anyone be offended, Its not personal. Ultimately the value is in the games, so as long as you enjoy the games on the platform thats what matters most. But as a fan of gaming I want the Vita to succeed because I think it will be better for games.

I do believe the PSVita provides developers more creative freedom (even without the rear touch pad which I think may be a gimick) partially becuase when working with the system they don't have to compromise as much, and I feel the control scheme is more complete and cohesive but of course this just my preference. But the initial comment was simply to back up the arguement that the quality fo the Vita's hardware may be preventing some people (like me) from picking up a 3DS just yet. Of course if the Vita's lineup doesn't improve and the 3DS continues to gather more 3rd party support, then I'll buy a 3DS XL this christmas instead of the PSV. 

teigaga said:

Why would anyone be offended, Its not personal. Ultimately the value is in the games, so as long as you enjoy the games on the platform thats what matters most. But as a fan of gaming I want the Vita to succeed because I think it will be better for games.

I do believe the PSVita provides developers more creative freedom (even without the rear touch pad which I think may be a gimick) partially becuase when working with the system they don't have to compromise as much, and I feel the control scheme is more complete and cohesive but of course this just my preference. But the initial comment was simply to back up the arguement that the quality fo the Vita's hardware may be preventing some people (like me) from picking up a 3DS just yet. Of course if the Vita's lineup doesn't improve and the 3DS continues to gather more 3rd party support, then I'll buy a 3DS XL this christmas instead of the PSV. 

@bold. I just disagree. There is more creative freedom with two screens and a stylus-enabled touch pad in my opinion, personally.

You can flip the 3DS to act like a book, you can draw, you can point and shoot. With Vita it's all about the fingers. Big difference.

teigaga said:
MDMAlliance said:
teigaga said:

I personally think that the vita's analog sticks need to be redesigned as they are quite small and much harder to control than the home console analog sticks.  I think that not enough people point out that some people think that.  

The hardware limitations of the 3DS vs the Vita are mostly graphics, by the way.  I don't think graphics should be placed so high up the chart on how good a game is.  Standard Def vs HD where HD costs over $80 more, I think a lot of people would pick Standard Def.  

I do know that this isn't the only limitation, but it is the most obvious and apparent one.  I don't really think this argument will go much further as there are respective Vita only owners and 3DS only owners here who will defend their console as much as necessary because they are satisfied with it.

MDMAlliance said:

I personally think that the vita's analog sticks need to be redesigned as they are quite small and much harder to control than the home console analog sticks.  I think that not enough people point out that some people think that.  

I've noticed this and have pointed it out on some of my friends' vgchartz walls.

happydolphin said:
teigaga said:

@bold. I just disagree. There is more creative freedom with two screens and a stylus-enabled touch pad in my opinion, personally.

You can flip the 3DS to act like a book, you can draw, you can point and shoot. With Vita it's all about the fingers. Big difference.

With the disparity between the 2 screens, the top being 3D, larger/widescreen and higher res, the bottom is now reduced to sublimentry duties like menu management and maps. Its still usefull but I would trade it for a 2nd stick and more power.The other features are unpractical: I think pointing and shooting with the second screen is awkward I've played both metroid hunter (ds) and Kid Icarus and I'd much rather a 2nd anologe stick. The 3DS/Stylus can draw in more detail then the vita and its screen but again I personally don't see a practical use for it other then Scribble naugts (which could still be done on vita, just not as well).

You could also use the Vita as book, it also has gyroscope for it to sense orientation, it has a larger screen and using the mutliscreen to maniplulate zoom would be more comfortable on the Vita. Remember that only the small ds screen is touch and that they are both different sizes, that would make for an awkward book. But thats no related to gaming.

Anyway some games will lend themselfs more to one system than another and I accept that people's preferences will vary, the 2nd screen in Zelda OOT3D is especially convient.