By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wada clarifies ‘Wii is a toy’ statement, talks ‘one console’ idea

StanGable said:
Y'all wanna know what really is going on in here? Square is nothing without his Final Fantasy line-up and Final Fantasy finally established itself as a mainstream product thanks to Final Fantasy 7 with all the amazing graphics and cutscenes. Square is really scared that if Wii picks up after showing what FF can look on PS3 or 360, if it were to move to the Wii it will suddenly become just another game and without it they are GONE. That's the sad reality of Square, they need graphics to be different from the crowd. I'm not saying that FF games are all graphics, I've enjoyed the series myself, but Square went with high tech graphics as the main seller point of the game.

That's just b*ll*cks.

You think the graphics on FF7 were it's main selling point? You don't think it had anything to do with the games depth, variety, story or vast size?

Square Enix doen't need the Wii or DS, but for sure it is the easiest way to turn a quick buck, as Wii and DS owners tend to be less discerning when it comes to quality (Nintendogs anyone?). FF13 will still make a profit despite it's huge production costs and the lackluster performance of the PS3, but shareholders will always be there to make sure that developers hold their tongues, lest they alienate potential revenue streams.

Around the Network

So he's still talking out his ass, it just stinks less now?

The Wii is a toy. It's a fantastic toy, and that's why it's selling so well as an entertainment device. Wada's mistake is pretending that the other consoles aren't also toys.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I have no clue about what SE's going to do now.

In that context, Nintendo seems to place a great emphasis on Wii Sports and Fit rather than Zelda, a role-playing game. In my opinion, if they expose the functions in this way, they are making the Wii look like a toy. With PlayStation 3, Sony are not appealing to consumers with strong messages that say this kind of user can make use of PS3 in this particular way for this particular kind of fun. That, they are quite weak at.

If you look at the second part, it looks as though he's complimenting Nintendo on getting the image they want for the Wii, while Sony hasn't figured out an image to stick with for the PS3.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Soriku said:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=33337#comments

Wada clarifies ‘Wii is a toy’ statement, talks ‘one console’ idea

A portion of a GamesIndustry interview with Square-Enix pres Yoichi Wada…

GI: In a recent interview with CNET Japan, you said that consumers are purchasing the Wii as a toy…

YW: That particular article interpreted what I said in a rather coarse way. To fill in the context, with this generation of consoles, people take it for granted that all of them should be and are multi-functional. So it is each manufacturer’s responsibility to communicate with potential customers, and let them know which of them would make the best use of which function in each console.

In that context, Nintendo seems to place a great emphasis on Wii Sports and Fit rather than Zelda, a role-playing game. In my opinion, if they expose the functions in this way, they are making the Wii look like a toy. With PlayStation 3, Sony are not appealing to consumers with strong messages that say this kind of user can make use of PS3 in this particular way for this particular kind of fun. That, they are quite weak at.

GI: You did however note that software attach rates are lower for Wii than for other consoles. So does that make it a less appealing platform for Square Enix to develop and publish games on?

YW: No, that’s not the case. What we have to do to start with is ask what kind of consumers are buying Wii for what purpose. When we’ve finished that analysis, then we have to work out what kind of games we should create for Wii. For DS, Square Enix publishes both traditional games like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and also more casual software. The DS is managing to get through to a really broad range of people at the moment, and I think the Wii can follow in its footsteps.

——————-

Mr. Wada also talks about the one console future idea. He states that he believes the competition is a good thing for the industry, but he would like to see that future happen…if only to make things easier for Square-Enix. Mr. Wada also believes that such an industry change is impossible. Full interview here

---

Bolded part is what I want to hear. No more of this crap that only mini/casual games will sell on Wii. I want traditional / hardcore games as well!!!

Around the Network

For some reason, I had a dream last night that KH3 was released on Wii. It had graphics roughly halfway between PS3 and what we see on Wii's higher-end games now.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Also, I'm not bothered by anyone calling the Wii a toy. I'm bothered by someone calling the Wii a toy and saying that PS3 and 360 are not toys.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

KH uses disney characters so having HD graphics isn't a big issue, Wii level graphics would be perfect for it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

S-E is gonna change this perspective of Wii from "toy" to hardcore RPG machine.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Played_Out said:
StanGable said:
Y'all wanna know what really is going on in here? Square is nothing without his Final Fantasy line-up and Final Fantasy finally established itself as a mainstream product thanks to Final Fantasy 7 with all the amazing graphics and cutscenes. Square is really scared that if Wii picks up after showing what FF can look on PS3 or 360, if it were to move to the Wii it will suddenly become just another game and without it they are GONE. That's the sad reality of Square, they need graphics to be different from the crowd. I'm not saying that FF games are all graphics, I've enjoyed the series myself, but Square went with high tech graphics as the main seller point of the game.

That's just b*ll*cks.

You think the graphics on FF7 were it's main selling point? You don't think it had anything to do with the games depth, variety, story or vast size?

Square Enix doen't need the Wii or DS, but for sure it is the easiest way to turn a quick buck, as Wii and DS owners tend to be less discerning when it comes to quality (Nintendogs anyone?). FF13 will still make a profit despite it's huge production costs and the lackluster performance of the PS3, but shareholders will always be there to make sure that developers hold their tongues, lest they alienate potential revenue streams.

He's right.  Square advertised the hell out of FF7, prominently showing off the spectacular-for-the-time FMV sequences.  They haven't even denied that they focus on the graphics in their games--they definitely make sure it's fun to play, but that comes second.  The original  FF had great graphics on NES, FF 3 showed off some of the SNES' muscle, and FF7 single-handedly jumpstarted the Playstation when N64 was winning for a while.  Of course it ended up being a fun game, with an obviously great Square-helmed story, but it was the graphics that drew people in.  Do you really think Aeris' death would have resonated so deeply throughout the gaming world if she was a 20-polygon stick with a sword texture through her?

That said, SE hasn't always needed the great graphics for their games.  Kingdom Hearts is a very nice-looking game (my favourite PS series BTW) but it by no means pushed any graphical limits, not even the PS2's.  They know its' possible to make a great-looking game using style instead of power.